swoard-extremecarving technique in skwal riding

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

obi one
Rank 3
Rank 3

swoard-extremecarving technique in skwal riding

Post by obi one » Tuesday 26 April 2011, 17:41

I would like to share with you my effort towards the application (and interpretation) of a swoard-extremecarving technique in skwal riding. this is more about carving concepts and free ideas, and I would resist any sterile comparison between boards concepts. Hope this could be appreciated as I am a great estimator of the EC technique in snowboard.
Obi One

luomu
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by luomu » Tuesday 26 April 2011, 18:08

Though the result is quite similar to the "swoard EC" ( you get the turns laid down), to me the technique isn't - since the Skwal setup with boots straight on the same line effectively blocks you from doing rotation. and the turn seems to be initiated by moving your hips (as with a monoski). A lot like the style we can see with the narrow Viruses, isn't it

obi one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by obi one » Tuesday 26 April 2011, 19:38

luomu wrote:Though the result is quite similar to the "swoard EC" ( you get the turns laid down), to me the technique isn't - since the Skwal setup with boots straight on the same line effectively blocks you from doing rotation. and the turn seems to be initiated by moving your hips (as with a monoski). A lot like the style we can see with the narrow Viruses, isn't it
thanks luomu,
correct, the in-line frontal carving on a skwal reduce rotation to almost nothing. I believe that a big difference between skwal and alpine snowboard (especially the great Swoards) is actually the turn initiation and rotation. With comparison by riding a snowboard, the turn initiation with a skwal is the same that you have when you ride a turn with a street motorbike...the feeling is the same! ...the weight shift, arms and shoulders are the drivers for turn initiation...not hips...
Somehow, the entire lateral body should enter the turn...unfortunately many skwalers commits errors here to my personal view.

For the narrow Viruses...it's the stance thety have that I do not understand... :)

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hard Boot Cousins

Post by rcrobar » Tuesday 26 April 2011, 22:55

Thank you for sharing your video, looks like you were having a lot of fun!

I find it very interesting to see the both the similarities and differences of the Skwal and EC linked-laid out turns.

In my humble opinion Skwal riders, Racers, Freecarvers and ECers are like hard boot first cousins that have much in common. Because there are so few hard boot riders in the world, we should always look out for and look after our cousins.

Cheers
Rob

obi one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hard Boot Cousins

Post by obi one » Wednesday 27 April 2011, 0:35

rcrobar wrote:Thank you for sharing your video, looks like you were having a lot of fun!

I find it very interesting to see the both the similarities and differences of the Skwal and EC linked-laid out turns.

In my humble opinion Skwal riders, Racers, Freecarvers and ECers are like hard boot first cousins that have much in common. Because there are so few hard boot riders in the world, we should always look out for and look after our cousins.

Cheers
Rob
appreciated! yes learning differences and similarities can be really beneficial to better understand reciprocally or even improve our carving-life...although I am a dedicated skwaler (thus, generally not riding snowboards), I cannot stop thinking that Fivat and Rillet got a fundamental concept with EC ...and this concept has a great leverage for all hard boot riders in the world... :) either skwalers or "swoarders"....

actionreplay
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by actionreplay » Friday 29 April 2011, 20:36

Hello Obi,
Very nice movie. Never tried skwal myself, but would be curious to try once.

actionreplay
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by actionreplay » Friday 29 April 2011, 20:47

By the way, what are your knee guards ? I can't see if they are integrated to your pants or not.

obi one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by obi one » Saturday 30 April 2011, 2:22

actionreplay wrote:Hello Obi,
Very nice movie. Never tried skwal myself, but would be curious to try once.
Hi actionreplay,
curiosity killed the cat :) ...jokes apart, if you like to "know" before "testing" (possibly to compare with EC and modern snowboarding techniques) I would suggest you to read a document about skwal technique I wrote last year: go to www.skwalclubitalia.it , select "Tecnica-Skwal" and select "english version" under "Livello Avanzato". This document aloows you to remove a lot of ambiguity about skwal, I hope of course :) ...but most importantly it gives a clue about snowboard and skwal differences.

PS-knee guards are integrated to the pants,...but we, skwalers, need only lateral protections...

when you wanna give it a try and skwal, let me know...

obi one