Encoding

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Encoding

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 19 April 2011, 21:26

Question to admin.

Is there any chance to fix russian encoding for those who have no such possibility to change this in their browsers? Safari for example :-(
i`m learning

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 19 April 2011, 21:32

No, there is not.
Or perhaps i did not understood question correctly.

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Wednesday 20 April 2011, 14:12

good question Starikashka. Maybe this will be solved by switching the forum to PHP 3 ...
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 20 April 2011, 14:44

Arnaud wrote:good question Starikashka. Maybe this will be solved by switching the forum to PHP 3 ...
Thanks :-) this encoding issue is only flaw of iPad :-))) When this swithching is planned +/- month?
i`m learning

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Wednesday 20 April 2011, 15:02

Nope, will not according my understanding, based on my experience admin version 3 more than year

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Unreadable Russian Forum

Post by mirekd » Thursday 21 April 2011, 17:31

Hi Guys!

I have a similar problem.
Russian forum is unreadable for me :( (On the home page forum all languages ​​are ok!).
Data:
Operating Systems: WinXP / Vista; Browser: Firefox 3.6.16 with the default settings; Tab Tools -> Options -> Content -> Default Font -> Advanced -> Default charset: Central European (ISO 8859-2). Selected: "Allow pages to other characters than set here. "
I tried different settings and options - perhaps the reason lies in the settings phpBB!?

Can someone tell me? :(
Like "joemzl" and others - extreme dreamer every day...

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by vkrouverk » Thursday 21 April 2011, 18:27

For me following Firefox menu works: View->Character encoding->Cyrillic (Windows-1251). If this is not in Character encoding item, then select More Encodings->East European.
Converting potential energy to kinetic..

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 21 April 2011, 18:30

That works if you can afofrd to proper computer, but if i understood here was case to use poor mac-thingy 8O

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 21 April 2011, 21:15

pokkis wrote:That works if you can afofrd to proper computer, but if i understood here was case to use poor mac-thingy 8O
Yes pokkis, I use poor Mac-thingy:))) proper computer is heavier and less convenient:-))

Mirek, try firefox 4. Much faster and not eating memory.
i`m learning

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Thursday 21 April 2011, 21:31

Hi !
vkrouverk wrote:For me following Firefox menu works: View->Character encoding->Cyrillic (Windows-1251). If this is not in Character encoding item, then select More Encodings->East European.
We live in other regions and the coding is different.
Unfortunately I can not set the Russian language. :(
I tried different character set but the end result the same: the mishmash. After setting the encoding -> Cyrillic (Windows-1251) Russian letters show up on the forum but when I open the post, again mishmash.
By PM - I asked Abrax (Poland) o your browser settings.
starikashka wrote:Mirek, try firefox 4. Much faster and not eating memory.
Downloading takes! :)

mirek

au
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by au » Friday 22 April 2011, 14:37

Default encoding should be changed to utf-8: you have to convert database and language files to this charset.
But it's not as simple as it seems.

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Friday 22 April 2011, 17:52

Hi !

I was not able to solve the problem of character encoding of Russian, despite several consultations. :(
It seems that only the use of Cyrillic (Windows-1251) shows Russian letters in the forum. But after opening the post, again, the text is unreadable. This situation is repeated after each change the page. This makes it very difficult (or even impossible) to use the Forum. It is interesting to say that some of the Russian posts are legible! My guess is that these people have installed the English version of Windows?

Anyway, it is necessary to fix this problem. For the international community Extremecarving, easier and more convenient to discuss only one forum...
au wrote: Default encoding should be changed to utf-8: you have to convert database and language files to this charset. But it's not as simple as it seems.
Yes! I have set default Unicode (UTF-8 ). But I'm not a computer scientist and I do nothing more ... :?
starikashka wrote:Mirek, try firefox 4. Much faster and not eating memory.
Firefox 4 installed! You're right! It is much better and ... nicer. :)

I greet
mirek :wink:

au
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by au » Friday 22 April 2011, 22:50

mirekd wrote:Yes! I have set default Unicode (UTF-8 ). But I'm not a computer scientist and I do nothing more ... :?
It's not your problem :)
Forum's owner must do it.

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Saturday 23 April 2011, 10:12

Hi!
While waiting for the repair of code characters of the Russian language, I recommend to all website www.velvet.pro and participation in the forum for this site. The site is written professionally. :bravo:
It contains a lot of information Extreme Carving (technique, equipment, etc.) that are needed to novice snowboarders. Register at the Forum of this site, allows individual virtual learning EC with one of the four instructors EC (BEN, Rey, Dron, Z (Юра))
Remember that you do not need to know Russian language - Goggle Translator does it for you - or you used to help understand the text! :)

I greet
mirek :wink:

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 23 April 2011, 10:41

btw i did checked my version 3 installation and it is utf8, so it might be that conversion of 2 to 3 does take care of that automatically.
I did conversion so long time ago that dont remember any more :?