Swoard-EC technique lessons by BEN

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

evGen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Swoard-EC technique lessons by BEN

Post by evGen » Thursday 7 April 2011, 12:52

Short educational video which I promised.
evGen=ben velvet.pro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jVztPStsEA

Whitey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Whitey » Thursday 7 April 2011, 13:33

Ohhhhhh!!!!
:pray2: :clap3: :pray2: :clap3:
Ben, thanks for sharing this truly great video! :chinese:

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Swoard-EC technique lessons by BEN

Post by fivat » Thursday 7 April 2011, 13:36

Excellent video Ben! It gathers in a better and different way our first tutorial videos from 2002 ( https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html ). Probably we should place your video in the page too. :D

I have a small remark for the students about the "4. Frontside laid turn" sequence. Cross the slope already low on the legs and then push the legs when you lay down. The video gives the feeling that one has to pull the legs (instead of push) because Ben is quite straight in the transitions.
Same thing for the "5. Backside laid turn" sequence. Cross the slope with bent legs (crouched) and then extend the legs (push) when laying down.
Of course at the end of the laid turns you pull the legs to stand up naturally and then you are ready for the next turn (stay crouched in the transition).

Push-pull technique (the term was invented by Jacques) for extremecarving is exactly the opposite of what the racers do: they crouch aggressively during the turns (to add pressure on the edge), and they extend the legs in the transitions. That's why the setup is very different for racing (in particular stiff boots resist to the pressure): it's a different goal, that's all. Mastering both techniques very well requires different setups and boards.

Patrice Fivat

H2O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by H2O » Thursday 7 April 2011, 15:03

A lot of thanks! Really educational and precious! :clap3: :chinese:
Pietro
... sciare in pista è come nuotare in piscina, sciare in fuoripista è come farlo in mare aperto ...

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Thursday 7 April 2011, 15:10

Just excellent :!: :clap2: I was considering putting up EC-classes for NOK 500 pr. hour :wink: but now Ben has ruined my business idea :D
harald

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 7 April 2011, 15:17

harald wrote:Just excellent :!: :clap2: I was considering putting up EC-classes for NOK 500 pr. hour :wink: but now Ben has ruined my business idea :D
harald, the guy in Norway who are capable to learn EC-riding has no competition. Learning EC is not Evgeny business idea, so you can earn money without author fees, but you need to have your own methodology :-)))

500NOK is overprice i think :-) relatively

But in Norway everything is expensive :-)
i`m learning

manuchill
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Swoard-EC technique lessons by BEN

Post by manuchill » Thursday 7 April 2011, 15:19

fivat wrote:I have a small remark for the students about the "4. Frontside laid turn" sequence. Cross the slope already low on the legs and then push the legs when you lay down. The video gives the feeling that one has to pull the legs (instead of push) because Ben is quite straight in the transitions.
Same thing for the "5. Backside laid turn" sequence. Cross the slope with bent legs (crouched) and then extend the legs (push) when laying down.
Of course at the end of the laid turns you pull the legs to stand up naturally and then you are ready for the next turn (stay crouched in the transition).
Patrice Fivat
He keeps saying it :wink: , even in the last weekend of March when I was in Zinal he kept saying it to me '...Cross the slope already low on the legs...'

And he couldn't be more right on this point... one thing to keep in mind though, the stance on your board should allow you to keep a deep position when crossing the slope, as I experienced (and alerted by Patrice) my stance was too close to eachother which prevented me from getting in that position at all
So if you've covered the settings page ( https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/set.html ) as I did (finally in a good way), feel free to master the above mentioned by fellow extremecarvers
SWOARD EC Pro 175H + F2 Race Titanium + Head Stratos Pro with ACSS attached personally by Arnaud ;)

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tommaso2k » Thursday 7 April 2011, 16:46

Ben,
many thanks for posting this great video. It clearly shows the various steps to proper EC technique.
See you next year in Zinal.

Regards
Thomas
Brand doesn´t matter, the spirit does!

maxdelay
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by maxdelay » Thursday 7 April 2011, 17:22

WooW!
[url=http://internetpharmacydir.com/]internetpharmacydir.com[/url]

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Teaching Video

Post by rcrobar » Thursday 7 April 2011, 18:08

Great job on the teaching video and fantastic riding Ben, very nice to watch!

A video like this, to me, shows how the EC discipline is slowly and steadily maturing. It continues to be amazing to me how a decade after J & P launched the EC site that did such a great job of teaching, sharing and demonstrating where carving could go, how their dreams and ideas continue to spread around the world! Too cool and what a positive feeling.

I also found the 'Longitudinal Work' demonstration very interesting and a great visual, something I had never seen or thought of before. Breaking down the steps and skills of EC riding and being able to communicate them to a student is a key part of growing Alpine and ECing. IMHO the more of this type of information that exists on the EC site the better.

Question(s):

If possible, could you comment on how the longitudinal work affects an EC student's riding?

Example: When have you found it useful to 'do' this longitudinal demonstration for a student? At what point in their development?

Example: As an EC teacher, do you see a common error, that the Longitudinal Work is able to correct? What mistake can this 'fix'?

Thank you for your efforts.
Rob

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 7 April 2011, 18:18

Ben, you are King :pray2:

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Thursday 7 April 2011, 19:15

mirekd wrote:
Hi BEN(Evgen) !
You have done a great job recording the movie 'Training on Volchiha' - I see that you have the talent and "feel the dance '. :clap:
We ask you (if possible) to repeat the movie but an approximation of your body while driving. This will be for many of us are very helpful in training EC. :pray2:
Sincerely yours
mirekd
BEN(evGen) replied:
Hi mirekd!
Video is finished already shooting, a few patience, soon will see.
and 07.04.2011:
Short educational video which I promised.
This is much more than I expected.
Thanks, on behalf of itself and other beginners ...

mirekd :D
Like "joemzl" and others - extreme dreamer every day...

Peti
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Peti » Thursday 7 April 2011, 21:48

Great vid! Thanks for sharing!

:clap3: :bravo:

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Friday 8 April 2011, 0:10

Very nice instruction vid :bravo: . Is it possible to upload it in 720P?

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Push-pull and extremecarving sequences

Post by fivat » Friday 8 April 2011, 1:15

For the people who didn't know those two videos which gather many different sequences in a progressive way:

:arrow:

:arrow: (in slower motion)

Patrice Fivat