Swoard-EC technique lessons by BEN

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

luomu
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by luomu » Friday 8 April 2011, 5:34

A little bit off topic but..
:!: Patrice - What were you thinking (or taking) when you chose the music 8O

tali

Push-pull -> Extremecarving: Patrice Fivat & Jacques

Post by tali » Friday 8 April 2011, 5:34

fivat wrote:For the people who didn't know those two videos which gather many different sequences in a progressive way:

:arrow:
:arrow: (in slower motion)

Patrice Fivat
It is amazing, how much information has been put in this Forum over these years. I guess, we should use the search function more often.
As they say in Russia, everything new is actually well-forgotten old :)

Patrice, thank you very much for the videos. I posted them at the Russian thread. :bravo:

tali

Re: Teaching Video

Post by tali » Friday 8 April 2011, 6:07

rcrobar wrote:(...)
I also found the 'Longitudinal Work' demonstration very interesting and a great visual, something I had never seen or thought of before.

Question(s):

If possible, could you comment on how the longitudinal work affects an EC student's riding?

Example: When have you found it useful to 'do' this longitudinal demonstration for a student? At what point in their development?

Example: As an EC teacher, do you see a common error, that the Longitudinal Work is able to correct? What mistake can this 'fix'?

Rob
Hi, Rob,

Well, this element/principle should be normally explained nearly from the very beginning, i.e. to novice students, for their basic rotation turns.
If you look here - https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html - you will see:
"Be sliding in basic position and, before the turn zone, rotate your whole body toward the direction you want to go to, moving a little bit on your front foot"

When you do extremecarving, the rider's weight is shifted to the front at the beginning of the turn. At the end of the turn, the rider's weight should be shifted backwards. This is also a fundamental element of the technique, which should be practiced from the very beginning -the basic rotation turns.

In my opinion, paying too much attention to the longitudinal work can be dangerous for the student's technique in two ways:
(1) If you concentrate on it and do it artificially, i.e. actively bring your body backwards, you might get bad habits. Because, one should get to this backward position not by bringing one's body down and bending your legs down, but by l e t t i n g your board go ahead of you. And this should be done by increasing rotation of your body to even make your board go slightly uphill. If you do it by rotation, the board becomes lighter and you pull it to you, making it a lot easier to change edges. If you do it by sitting down, you lower the center of your body and make your board heavier and harder to change edges.
(2) Overdoing the longitudinal work might make a student's body too rigid and kill the rotation and feeling of the board.

If you kill the rotation, you kill your push-pull, because push-pull is "rotation= + understanding of weight shifting both along the board and to the side of the board + flexion/extention"

Thank you Ben for your wonderful video! :)

manuchill
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by manuchill » Friday 8 April 2011, 9:07

To illustrate what Patrice is saying '...Cross the slope already low on the legs...' in the videos he supplied in this topic, see attached screenshot from the video

Some people say that this position has never been seen (or told) before, at least not before the first instruction vid from Ben...
as you can see from the screen, it's not completely true

Nevertheless, P&J started to propagate this technique and I can imagine that they are too busy to keep an eye on all the details as the community evolved to the point we are now.
And here comes the beautiful part of a community in general: people can contribute, make beautiful things and share (etcetera...)

So, Ben: you're awesome by supplying such a valuable vid to the community..
Attachments
Screenshot-YouTube - Push Pull Carving Technique Enhanced Video - Mozilla Firefox-1.jpg
Screenshot-YouTube - Push Pull Carving Technique Enhanced Video - Mozilla Firefox-1.jpg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 15170 times
SWOARD EC Pro 175H + F2 Race Titanium + Head Stratos Pro with ACSS attached personally by Arnaud ;)

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Friday 8 April 2011, 9:43

Starikaska,
The Norwegian market for EC is very limited for various reasons, so I am ending up giving advice and instructions for free. But Ben's and J&P's videos together with all the insightful comments are excellent teaching material.
By the way this forum in general, and this thread, in particular, is an excellent demonstration on how open sharing of knowledge contributes to innovation and improvements for all participants. It is the same principle that developed Wikipedia and Linux.
harald

redia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redia » Friday 8 April 2011, 12:47

evGen
Trés belle vidéo :clap2: :bravo: :pray2: :clap3:
Ambassadeur Swoard Québec
Pro2 175S&M 168M&H, Dual2 163&168, Stoke 162M, Swoard-UPZ EC12

benben083
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by benben083 » Friday 8 April 2011, 14:47

As Said Pokkis , " You are the king " , amazing style

Thanks for this lesson
Swoard 168H + Td3Sw Tunées
Swoard 168M + F2 Race Titanium
Head Stratos Acss

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

EC Simplified

Post by rcrobar » Friday 8 April 2011, 16:34

Hello Tali

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I think perhaps the question in my previous post was not worded clearly enough.

My question was not about the weight shift in general, but specifically the 'Longitudinal Work' demonstration, drill, exercise that Ben placed in the video. In a round about way you answered this question for me when you said the following.
Tali wrote:In my opinion, paying too much attention to the longitudinal work can be dangerous for the student's technique in two ways:
This past season there have been several instructors at the Extreme Carving Session and the Russian Demo Tour, I was curious if the Longitudinal Work demonstration is used by all instructors at these events. I was also curious as to what other drills, exercises and teaching points may be used by have not been mentioned on the EC site.

The great thing about the EC site is that there is a mountain of information. The bad thing about the EC site is that their is a mountain of information to wade through in more than one language ... even if you use the search function. I think Patrice said it best when he mentioned the following.
fivat wrote:It gathers in a better and different way our first tutorial videos from 2002

IMHO a good teacher is able to gather all this information and communicate it to a student in a simple and easy way, this is at the heart of my previous post, not the weight transfer in general.

Cheers
Rob

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Friday 8 April 2011, 16:48

Hi Ben,

Great video! I really like the idea of the "Longitudinal Work" that allows an excellent visualisation and training of this part of the movement, especially "moving the weight to the front foot" integrated in the whole movement, that is often difficult for people to realize.

I'm very happy and flattered to see that other people like you involving yourself in such a brilliant manner to help other people to learn the technique that Patrice and I have created. :bravo:

Jacques

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by christian61 » Friday 8 April 2011, 17:25

Thank you, Ben!!!

Christian

:clap:
SWOARD EXTREMECARVER GEN4 168s + 161m, Deeluxe 225 + ACSS

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Friday 8 April 2011, 20:48

Fluidity and smoothness in perfection. :pray2:
Your push/pull is like discribing a woman with the hands. :D

Of course I added the link to the curriculum on the german site.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Oleg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Swoard-EC technique lessons by BEN

Post by Oleg » Friday 8 April 2011, 22:40

evGen wrote:
Short educational video which I promised.
Yyyeess, BEN! Wowww...
SWOARD 2G, 3G, F2...

Parallax
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Parallax » Tuesday 12 April 2011, 19:34

Hello Fivat!!

Last two videos are really great!
But what can you say about this computer modulation:

This modulation was created by moscow raiders, such Starikashka, Dron, Irina Serchagina.
This video shows exactly how they understand the style of Extreme Carving.
Do not you think that something strange is happening with the figure at 0:05 second?
Unfortunately in Russia, such an understanding of your style prevails..

au
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by au » Tuesday 12 April 2011, 20:50

Don't pay your attention to video lesson, let's all talk about crappy computer simulation :lol:

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Saturday 16 April 2011, 19:28

Can't wait to get on snow again, some nice isolated parts of the technique are shown.
Fridgecarver