Please give me some advice to get closer to the ground

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

nicander
Rank 2
Rank 2

Please give me some advice to get closer to the ground

Post by nicander » Monday 14 March 2011, 18:59

Hi All,

This weekend was my first ride on my new Swoard Dual 168 in engelberg swiss. What an amazing board, love it!

i ride it with burton ruler softboots with 20 at the front and 0 at the back.

Please take a look at this video and feel free to give feedback!

Thanks in advance,

Nicander.

Edgy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Advice on getting closer to the ground..

Post by Edgy » Tuesday 15 March 2011, 15:06

Hi,
Saw your video.. Your shall probably have to go through the same phase of frustration as many others including myself. Just be a bit patient, work on it and some day you`ll make it! The front side turn is not so difficult. It is the heelside that gives you the challenge. Especially if you have been doing a lot of alpine skiing, the heelside turn is a bit counterintuitive (and some reprogramming of the brain is needed). I have had some progress recently. Here is my advice: Be very conscious about the hip and upperbody movement. (I thought I had the needed amount of rotation untill I saw a video of myself..) You really have to press that hip forward and rotate your upperbody actively (to avoid that "sitting" position. Hint: Look into the centre of the turn). Keep the push-pull (it is important that you have experiened and understood the push/pull principle and movement. Look to the extremecarving homepage for more detail on this) movement in mind and go into the turn in a low/deep position with your weight a bit forward. You shall not expect to get it right immediately. There is an element of timing, feeling and coordnnation so you shall probably have to practise for a while. Suggested place: A medium steep hill, plain and well groomed. Wish you success and good luck!
Regards Henrik

Edgy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Advice on getting closer to the ground..

Post by Edgy » Tuesday 15 March 2011, 15:20

Hi again,
Ref my previous answer - Forgot a comment on equipement. Softboots will not give you the needed powertransfer and precision needed. Your stance is not supporting an efficient carving technique where the stance is far more aggressive e.g. 53/54 degrees and 46/47 degrees on rear foot. Henrik

nicander
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nicander » Tuesday 15 March 2011, 15:38

Henrik,

Thanks for your advice, really apriciated! pretty frustrating yes! I have studied the technique again, and I am not sure what is ment here:

backside turn:
"At the end of the turn, the chest is positioned three quarters toward the nose (be carefull not to turn yourself toward the nose!), or even parallel to the board for the low feet angulation setups. The head looks over the front shoulder."

this means that with my low angle setup (Front 20 Back 0) my shoulders are in line with the board almost throughout the whole turn?

I will go to St Anton Austria this weekend to practise again and will make a new video and post it to see if we already made some progress!

Thanks,

Nic.

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Tuesday 15 March 2011, 17:11

If you are able to touch the snow with both hands during the backside turn, then you made progress. :D
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Edgy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Edgy » Tuesday 15 March 2011, 22:44

Hi again Nic,
At the end of the turn, the chest is positioned three quarters toward the nose (be carefull not to turn yourself toward the nose!), or even parallel to the board for the low feet angulation setups. The head looks over the front shoulder.
I guess this is quoted from the https://www.extremecarving.com . The way I understand this is that the position of the upper body at the end of the heelturn is three quarters from zero degrees (upper body parallell to the board) to 90 degrees (upper body twisted in the direction of nose of board). 3/4 of 90 degrees shold be about 67,5 degrees. As I have no experience with low feet angulation in relation to extreme carving, I should be carefull commenting on this (but I have a feeling that it might be a really serious challenge to make that work). But I agree with you - the way it is formulated on the https://www.extremecarving.com webpage tough edging should be possible even with a low angle stance. As I`m no expert on this, other forum members are requested to come forward with their opinion.

Wish you a nice trip to St. Anton. I was there about a month ago..

Henrik

nicander
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nicander » Friday 6 May 2011, 18:03

Guys,

St. Anton was cloudy and to warm, shit.

Today I am in stubai, beautiful weather and ideal carving slopes.

Check my video again at:

Tomorrow I will set my dual with softboots on angles:
35 front and 25 back.

Tell me what you see. New video tomorrow.

Nic.

tali

Post by tali » Saturday 7 May 2011, 0:35

Well, just to make your life more complicated :wink:
The slope is quite steep, and I have not noticed that you are closing your turns well enough. By this, I mean keeping rotating your body at the end of the turn, to make your board go slightly uphill, using this rotation. You should feel that the board feels suddenly lighter. Around this point, you should change the rotation in the direction of the next turn.
This should give you more control in using the speed. If you gained a lot of speed, you go uphill slightly higher before you change.
Good luck!

nicander
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nicander » Saturday 7 May 2011, 16:18

Thanks tali!

I have been playing arround with my stance, I think I found something I like: F30, B22.

Steering a little bit up is a good tip, I tried to do this in the following video:

This was the last day for me in Austria. What a superb end of the season!!!!!! I will be swimming in the pool now, here in the valley is is close to 25 celcius!!

I will post some more videos when I get back home.

Nic.

Xgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Xgo » Saturday 7 May 2011, 19:03

Hi nicander keep posting your vids. . Its good to watch your progression as well as the set up details that you give. .well done your getting there. . I do not have a Swoard yet and quite new to snowboarding let alone the extreme carving. . However I still am learning a lot and can visualize the ec technique. . Swoarders like yourself inspire me and I like your persistance to perfection:-)
New to snow sports . .now addicted:-) 172/56/raven 155/15 -15 one day 50 45 ish :-)

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Tuesday 10 May 2011, 9:25

Hi,
I have followed the discussion. Unfortunately, I may disappoint you a little bit. I have a Dual myself and find it very difficult to do EC with that board, even with hard boots, compared with my Swoard Extremecarver. I have tried different set-ups, used softer bindings (Proflex Carve RS instead of F2 Race titanium) and softer hard boots than I usually use for EC(Raichle 323 instead of NW. 900), and different angles. To me, the board is too wide for EC on hard packed slopes. I think with soft boots it will be even more difficult. So my advice is to buy an Extremecarver and use hard boots. Also take a look at Ben's video . It shows how to train rotation, push-pull and then how to go real deep before initiating the turns. Good luck with your progress.
harald

Lordcamel
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lordcamel » Tuesday 10 May 2011, 10:21

It's also a shame you got to go down some ropes whereas i m at work in France but still it's a pleasure indeed to see some vids :)