Learning the basics of the EC on the board slalom

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Learning the basics of the EC on the board slalom

Post by mirekd » Thursday 10 March 2011, 10:58

Hi!

Today I want to raise a subject that concerns every beginner (and not only) snowboarder.
In a market dominated by sales of hard boards and slalom boards purchased the first rule is just such a board. Since the main feature of this board is the parabolic shape of the edge and a large setback (for example, in my Niedecker SL60 is 60 mm), it has a great impact on body position while driving and in general the speed of learning - as I discovered myself.
Initially, in accordance with the recommendations SWOARD, I set the max bond symmetrically (can not be completely for inserts). The result? - I could not even do the twist on the board. I went back to factory settings (setback 6 cm) - now it is okay but only for small twists - the larger semicircles as far I could not move the center of gravity forward.
This year - after understanding the theory and learning how to (some) base license - I moved back to the front binding. With my stance (47,6 cm) a maximum forward displacement is only 2 cm - that is little but immediately felt a change! Board better kept on the edge and I could do a more complete arc. However, I think that the impact on it (apart from the position of the body) were modified shoes (shell, tongue, spring).

What do you think? What advice for starting and running to board slalom?

My general conclusion after two years is this: if you want to learn to EC - start learning at an appropriate SWOARD recommended by the equipment (board, boots, bindings), but life is life and we do what we can...

mirekd

Ps. Purchase Swoard 161h and part in the ECS 2012 resolved! :D
Like "joemzl" and others - extreme dreamer every day...

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 10 March 2011, 12:32

My 8 year old daughter ride 125 race board and try to learn extremecarving turns. Swoard is not available for such young extremecarvers.

That`s what i`m think.
i`m learning

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Thursday 10 March 2011, 16:42

Hi !

@'starikashka' wrote: Swoard is not available for such young extremecarvers.

The reason why that is - gave you earlier Rillet - Unfortunately business rules the world.
Maybe your daughter should start learning the soft set (there is little long boards)? I think the first steps in snowboarding should start with soft boards - regardless of age. But I could be wrong - what would the experts?

I may be an example: After watching film of J&P, almost crazy: how easy it is!, I also just go!, After what I instructor, after I go well on the skis!
So I thought ... but the slope was merciless! Dislocated collarbone, cracked wrist and bruises - all this meant that I was on the border of resignation.
At this point, until I asked myself: give up if you try next? The answer was one: I tried to continue but... the 'head' and not 'a madman'. I arranged with soft snowboard instructor ('hard' it was not the instructor) a few lessons, and after I started learning basics of further studies on a hard board.
I will be recommending it all those who want to ride on a board and have no contact with 'hard' instructor.

Am I right?

mirekd

Snegorez
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Learning the basics of the EC on the board slalom

Post by Snegorez » Thursday 10 March 2011, 18:52

mirekd wrote: the main feature of this board is the parabolic shape of the edge and a large setback (for example, in my Niedecker SL60 is 60 mm)
usually sl boards like your have setback 20 mm.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 10 March 2011, 20:52

mirekd wrote:Hi !

@'starikashka' wrote: Swoard is not available for such young extremecarvers.

The reason why that is - gave you earlier Rillet - Unfortunately business rules the world.
Maybe your daughter should start learning the soft set (there is little long boards)? I think the first steps in snowboarding should start with soft boards - regardless of age. But I could be wrong - what would the experts?

mirekd
She has softboot setup as well from 5 years. i understand a reason why microswoard is not availiable. But i will do eveything i can do to make it possible :-))))
i`m learning

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Thursday 10 March 2011, 22:42

Hi !

@Snegorez

In the picture of my board (which will join tomorrow) lines are drawn:

1. The effective edge and central point
dimension of 710 + 710 = 1420 mm
2. The upper lines show the distance from the center of the internal insert
Left dimension: 230 mm dimension of the right: 170 mm

As you can see, the difference is 230 - 170 = 60 mm (manufacturer's setback)

The binding fixed as follows:
Front: exterior inserts = 20 + 8 mm
Back: inserts the inner = 20 + 8 mm
inserts between the outer and inner = 20 mm (this is the maximum possible shift of the binding to the front)

Currently SWOARD produces so Niedecker - Nils can check whether this is so.

To sum up: so far withdrawn from the center of a binding is difficult to learn the EC why decided to purchase Swoard. 8)

@ starikahka wrote:
She has softboot setup as well from 5 years. i understand a reason why microswoard is not availiable. But i will do eveything i can do to make it possible

ha, ha! It's your daughter goes from 5 years and it is certainly better than me (I only ride since last year). :oops:
I see that you are very enterprising So I certainly can handle this problem. :wink:

Added 11.03 9.00 hr

or here (data)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1111419900 ... 1360817746

mirekd

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Friday 11 March 2011, 6:41

Hi!

Guys! I was wrong a bit with these calculations. :wall: I thought about this morning and immediately made the correction.

Of course, you still need size 60: 2 = 30 mm (manufacturer's setback)
If you move the bindings forward: 30 - 20 = 10 mm (current setback)

So Snegorez was closer to the truth! :wink:

mirek

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Friday 11 March 2011, 20:53

For beginners I think a shorter board is better.
Fridgecarver

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Saturday 12 March 2011, 14:56

Hi!

As said before - I started teaching snowboarding on a soft board with a length of 150 cm. After a few lessons with an instructor, I bought a hard board Generics 153 (photo). She had a little flex, rounded tail, the large width of the waist width 205 mm (I could set a small angle - 45 / 39) and the symmetric arc (radius 8.5 m). The most important was that I forgave a lot of mistakes while driving. I have this board today, and sometimes I ride freeride.

This season I bought a board Niedecker SL60 (Effektiv edge 142 cm). The main reason for the change was too small for me to gauge stance (up to 46 cm) and the short edge (129 cm).
After this season I bought a new experience and decided to buy a board to ride extremecarving recommended by the team SWOARD

Do I think correctly?

mirek

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 12 March 2011, 16:40

mirekd, what is the point of your thread?
i`m learning

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Saturday 12 March 2011, 17:03

Hi !

Advice / guidance for driving the EC on the board slalom.

Further conversation itself has evolved .. :roll:

mirek

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 12 March 2011, 17:39

Good.

Have you any chance to ride your slalom snowboard until season end? How many days you plan to spend on slope per season?
i`m learning

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Saturday 12 March 2011, 18:29

Actually, it's end of the season in our home. I think two weeks (unless it rains)
Last year I traveled to March 27 - after several days of rain and melted all the snow on the slopes.

G4W_16.03.2010 :D

G4W_25.03.2010 :x

Last time in the past year, I rode on March 27 :evil:

You can see the difference in a few days, right?

I do not know if I can go with the guys to Livignio because I have the work.

Addet hr 19

For me, it does not correspond to a departure from the topic thread.
Admin can fix it somehow .. :?:
It can be divided into two threads?
I have nothing against such a solution :wink:

mirek

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Tuesday 22 March 2011, 12:11

Hi Guys!

I care about the continuation of this theme - "Learning the basics of the EC on board slalom"
In order to ensure consistency and clarity of response, I propose that each of you have inscribed one or two advice that are important in your opinion (short - without broad description). :)

I suggest you scheme a'la Patrice Fivat: ECS SWOARD 20th .. > who's add - Please copy and paste Each previous points, and add your advice to the letter!<
Your advice (on equipment, settings, driving techniques, etc.), I'm sure will be useful to a new snowboarders. :D
The initial sentence can be, for example this:

If you start learning the EC slalom snowboarding it is important ...

1. ... .......
2. ... ....... etc.

Maybe? (can be improved, if necessary)

Who will start first? ... well, I think the experts 8) ...but everyone can be the first ...

mirek

Ps. I apologize that I force to write - please treat it as a useful fun ... and it can continue the integration of ...? :D

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 25 March 2011, 17:45

mirek, i personally like fun and talk a lot :-) But something makes me worry about you.

Did you read the technique articles on this site?
i`m learning