Driving routes

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Driving routes

Post by starikashka » Saturday 5 March 2011, 11:11

Good day everybody,

I`m planning to drive from Prague to Terespol where i plan to cross EU border.

What is most comfortable route throug Poland?
i`m learning

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Sunday 6 March 2011, 19:15

As I'm living in the west part, I don't how big traffic you can expect and what are overall conditions of the roads. This might be actually critical.

But the route found by viamichelin (by selecting 'fastest') looks good to me, I would probably use this one.

Update: use this page: http://mapa.targeo.pl/ to find information about road construction areas. You can also get measurements of traffic (average speed) there.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Sunday 6 March 2011, 20:36

korki means traffic jams?

Nice map. Thank you.
i`m learning

benttech
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by benttech » Sunday 6 March 2011, 20:44

Yes, korki are traffic jams. Youll experience "korki" everywhere you go in Poland. I also live in the west part but my best advice has and always will be when driving on such local roads as you is to drive during night time.

It is exhausting but you could save hours in not standing in traffic or stuck driving behind a "maluch" (Fiat 126p) doing 60kmh and not being able to pass. You will need a GPS 10000%

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Sunday 6 March 2011, 21:11

Thanks benntech :-) Last time i drive trough Poland was Easter day - there were no any malucs :-)))

But on the way back i get stuck in Rybnik - real hell :-))) My GPS did not know about highway that goes near :-)

By the way - on this mapa on the link that kindly provided by azaz44 i`ve seen a road marked by red from Germany - Zgorzelec-Legnica-Wroclaw-Katovice-Krakov - is it a highway?
i`m learning

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Sunday 6 March 2011, 21:17

Yes, it's a motorway and could be faster way than you planned, at least according to viamichelin. But expect to pay for motorway taxes.

I thought you wanted to visit Prague..

benttech
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by benttech » Monday 7 March 2011, 11:50

I am no expert, but my recommendation would be to drive from Prague to Zgorzelec and then take the highway (A4) to Wroclaw onto road number 8, at Piotrkow Trybunalski get onto road 12 to Radom, then its easy.

You will not have to pay to use Poland's A4, only for the highways in the Czech Republic.

Do anything to avoid driving in Wroclaw from 7-9am and 2pm until 7pm Monday-Friday.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 7 March 2011, 17:02

azaz44 wrote:I thought you wanted to visit Prague..
It`s not possible if i go this way?
benttech wrote: You will not have to pay to use Poland's A4
How much is it? I remember in Italy i paid about same price as for gasoline driving Brennerpass and further to Venice.
i`m learning

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Wednesday 9 March 2011, 9:53

starikashka wrote:
azaz44 wrote:I thought you wanted to visit Prague..
It`s not possible if i go this way?
I don't think it makes any sense. Assuming you're going from Munich or around, and want to use this motorway in Poland, there's no sense to go to Prague unless you really want to step-in and see the city. Use German motorways as long as you can, then go directly to Poland and you're on our motorway.

You can also consider another way: Munich (Munchen) -> up to Berlin (Berliner ring) -> right to Franfurt Oder -> cross the border at Frankfurt / Świecko and continue west to Warsaw, then Terespol. Viamichelin shows it's some 5 minutes longer measured on Munich -> Terespol, but you can go longer in Germany. This can be an advantage, because A9 from Munich to Berlin is a fast one, long time you can go without speed limits. So it depends on what car you have and how much you want to save fuel. You can save some time here.

Definitely get yourself a GPS.

And also, in the mountains plan the route before. Viamichelin can makes terrible mistakes, as it can drive you through a mountain route which is actually closed September to April evey year. GPS systems can also make some trouble. For main roads they are great.

And about A4 it's not clear to me at the moment, if you pay there or not. It's changing too much..

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 9 March 2011, 13:54

I want to step-in and see the city :-) But just for one day :-)
i`m learning

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Driving routes

Post by starikashka » Thursday 8 March 2012, 21:37

:idea:
i`m learning