boot problem

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

saso
Rank 2
Rank 2

boot problem

Post by saso » Thursday 1 August 2002, 14:12

Hi,

First of all I have to conratulate you guys for making such a great site for carving. Unfortunately our style is slowly but steadily losing a battle to a freestyle and freeride. I am not saying that those two styles are bad. Not at all. Everybody who is enjoying in riding has the same rights to be on a slope (the only problems I've had so far were with skiers. They just don't understand). But in my country it's very difficult to get a good equipment for a race/carving rider. What will happen in a few years I don't know.

Well to my problem.
I am having problem with my boots. I have Burton Reactor boots which were fine untill I started carving. If I am riding a normal style (not carving) everything is fine but when I am carving the problem appears.
I have narrow heel so my boots don't hold it well enough. On almost every right turn, especially if I am riding on rough terrain, I find myself standing on my toes in the middle of turn.
I have tried everything: tightening my boots, buying special socks, I even bought Raichle thermoflex liner, but nothing helps.
I have to say that I stopped using heel-toe technique long ago, so the problem is not in my technique (at least I think so), the problem is in my boots.
This year I am planning to buy new boots and I was thinking of Raichle AF 700TS, since I've heard that they have something special for heel grip.
What I would like to know if anybody had a similar problem and how they fixed it?
Are those Raichle boots really that good?
Are there any other boots that are good for riders with my problem?
Any other sugestions?
Thank you.

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Thursday 1 August 2002, 16:10

Hi Saso,

Thank you for your congratulations.

I'm riding freestile and freeride too and I enjoy it.

I think alpine snowboarding is loosing a battle against itself (see the manifesto in the "Philosophy" pages on the web site).
But in my country ...
Which one?

Your boots problem is very annoying, because loosing the heel contact in the boot makes loose the contact with the board .
When it happens to me (rarely, on the back foot), I have to stop and, when standing up, to push down my foot again.

I'm sure the problem comes from your boots and feet shape.

You could try injected foam liners, that are much stronger than thermoflex ones.
This year I am planning to buy new boots and I was thinking of Raichle AF 700TS, since I've heard that they have something special for heel grip.
Unfortunatly, I never tried these boots...

Jacques

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Re: boot problem

Post by nils » Thursday 1 August 2002, 18:59

saso wrote:Hi,

I have narrow heel so my boots don't hold it well enough. On almost every right turn, especially if I am riding on rough terrain, I find myself standing on my toes in the middle of turn.
Hi saso,
I have the same problem, narrow heels and leg, I solved it the day I got myself an injected liner from Sidas. I'm planning to change my aging boots for the AF700 and get injected liners again from Sidas, they are awsome and last 5-7 years ( I rode 20 days/year max before).
Makes it quite expensive, but its the rolls royce of boot solution for us narrow feet !
Nils

saso
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by saso » Thursday 8 August 2002, 10:38

First, thank you both for swift answers.

To answer a question from Jacques:
rilliet wrote:Which one?
I am from Slovenia.

You both speak about injected foam liners, Nils even sugested a Sidas liner. Do you by any chance know of any other injected foam liners.
When I tried to get an information about Sidas I discovered that there is no shop or retailer working with their liners in my country or anywhere near it.
As I said I love snowboarding and I would like to fix my problem so I could really get the most of riding this year.
Thank you for all your help,
Saso

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

injected liners

Post by nils » Thursday 8 August 2002, 14:38

saso,
usually, the shop that do it are pro ski shops, where the pro skiiers go to have their skiboots fitted. You just go to one of those with your snowboard shoes and then its easy.
Slovenia is close to austria, maybe a solution would be to find where in austria people do it, and go there for a week end maybe...
Maybe the regular liners of the AF700 are tight enough for your feet? that could solve all problems !!

Good luck

Nils

yyzcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by yyzcanuck » Friday 9 August 2002, 21:43

Saso, Sounds like you have 'low volume' feet. If you want to try to fix the problem yourself, might I suggest the following:
1. Add a thin shim (2-3mm) under your liner. You can use some type of plastic (abs, hdpe or even wood?), cut in the shape of the boot shell. Keep adding shim until the boot doesn't feel so sloppy on your foot.
2. Add some high density foam or rubber onto your liner, just above and below the ankle joint. Glue this rubber onto the liner (both sides of ankle joint) so when the buckles are tightened, you feel some pressure on both sides of your achilles tendon, but not so much that it cuts off circulation.
Both these things will help keep your heel down in the boot where it should be. By the way, what size feet do you have? I have a pair of AF700's for sale. Check out this link... http://www.bomberonline.com/Forums/Thre ... =4432&mc=1
or... SB224's at this link... http://www.bomberonline.com/Forums/Thre ... =4433&mc=1