Technique - rotation

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Technique - rotation

Post by azaz44 » Tuesday 22 February 2011, 8:48

I've always tried to use rotation since I found this site and read about it at the beginning of my SNB experience, not only for carving. But I often wondered why use it, and what are really the advantages (besides initiating a turn on a track which is way to steep for me), what should be improved. I think I found it this season.

So the thing is about the knees. I ride regular. If I rotate left, my hips close and my knees try to get closer to each other. This prevents me from going to much on the side of the board on the backside, which would be natural for the body, because it wants to move the back foot more forward. So it kinda push the rear part of the board to the left, to the piste, so it doesn't slide. Rotation helps a lot with the backside for me.

On the frontside, rotating right opens the hips and it's like pulling the knees away from each other. This again helps with the rear leg, but this is not so much needed, as with the backside. But helps. It pushes the read of the board to the right, to the piste.

Only when I discovered this, I can do this rotation properly, taking care that hips rotation also controls the knees. Or at least it improves my riding.

So I wonder, if this is correct, or if I rather mess my technique while trying to improve the backside? Are there other things hidden in the technique? Basically I could achieve similar results by forgetting the rotation and just pushing the knees together or pulling them away, so why rotation? This wonders me because closing the hips (rotating left in my case) locks the body and makes it harder to go lower and to stay relaxed on moguls.

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Thursday 24 February 2011, 12:25

You can read about rotation and push/pull in the Technique section
https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html. Maybe reading and seeing the demo videos will answer your questions.
harald

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Technique - rotation

Post by starikashka » Thursday 24 February 2011, 15:23

azaz44 wrote:so why rotation?
My opinion :-)

Rotation technique makes your life much-much easier. My wife spend two seasons in softboots riding rotation technique and then get into hardboots.

This was amazing how she made a first descent in hardboots without any fall.

In opposite my kid did not used rotation as it should be and ivolved a legs to initiate the turn. It was difficult for her to start riding hardboots and i was making lot of efforts to prevent her escaping back to softbooting :-)

It`s a simple and energy efficient way to ride carving board.

If you want to discuss any difficulties you have with your riding - post a video that experts can see and advice.
i`m learning

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Friday 25 February 2011, 8:36

OK, but in specific? What do you gain by using the rotation except of mental stuff and that other people know where you're going?

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 25 February 2011, 9:32

azaz44 wrote:OK, but in specific? What do you gain by using the rotation except of mental stuff and that other people know where you're going?
I do not say that i get "mental stuff and other people know where i`m going". Maybe you get my point wrong, i will try to be a little bit clearer.

I say that biggest advantage is simplisity that added to hardbooting by using rotation technique. Also i can ride whole day and have fun without burning legs and fatigue :-)

I gain a time that i can enjoy carving with less boring trainings and long carving days.
i`m learning

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Friday 25 February 2011, 10:22

By saying that other people know where I'm going to I meant added value which is mentioned in technique descriptions.

The rotation is supposed to be very effective, so I wonder what makes it so. Unfortunately I have to know how things work to make them properly, I just have it like this, in any sport or non sport.

Maybe a small technical question: closing the hips (= rotating left if you're regular) makes my rear knee go to the inside, close to the other knee. This helps me a lot with the backside, because it pushed the tail of the board towards the piste. But at the same time description of the toeside turn sais:
Keep your knees flexed and don't put them together.
( https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html )

So how do I do this?

mamatua
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mamatua » Friday 25 February 2011, 11:20

explain and understand is a good thing but you also have to train train and train , trying many different positions. when you will get it you will recognize it immediatly and understand much better what they explained to you

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 25 February 2011, 11:32

azaz44 wrote:The rotation is supposed to be very effective, so I wonder what makes it so. Unfortunately I have to know how things work to make them properly, I just have it like this, in any sport or non sport.

So how do I do this?
I do not know why it`s effective :-) Ask those guys who invented it.

My conclusion comes from my personal experience, and if it proven to me by practice that rotation style is good i do not care how it works :-)

Regarding your question "how you do this" the only efficient way to get answer that works for me and other people is to make video and compare with some ideal case, Patrice for exampe...or any other guy you want to ride like. Can`t add anything valuable to that i said before. Just try this and you will get your own understanding how it works and how to do this. Much better than reading tonns of articles and post question in the forum. Keep in mind that you can get an answer from person who consider himself as an expert, but in reality not deserves such high status.
i`m learning

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Friday 25 February 2011, 13:59

starikashka wrote:I do not know why it`s effective :-) Ask those guys who invented it.

My conclusion comes from my personal experience, and if it proven to me by practice that rotation style is good i do not care how it works :-)

Regarding your question "how you do this" the only efficient way to get answer that works for me and other people is to make video and compare with some ideal case, Patrice for exampe...or any other guy you want to ride like. Can`t add anything valuable to that i said before. Just try this and you will get your own understanding how it works and how to do this. Much better than reading tonns of articles and post question in the forum.
Na ja...
So does your knee go this way or not?
starikashka wrote:Keep in mind that you can get an answer from person who consider himself as an expert, but in reality not deserves such high status.
Yes, this could happen... :roll:

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Friday 25 February 2011, 14:02

mamatua wrote:explain and understand is a good thing but you also have to train train and train , trying many different positions. when you will get it you will recognize it immediatly and understand much better what they explained to you
Killing my time before one tour and another. I will have 6 days of riding and I want to know how to ride before, so I just start well from the first day :)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 25 February 2011, 16:57

azaz44 wrote:Na ja...
So does your knee go this way or not?

No
i`m learning

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 25 February 2011, 17:05

starikashka wrote:Keep in mind that you can get an answer from person who consider himself as an expert, but in reality not deserves such high status.
Darn, i was almost trying to mwrite something about this but looks that i should not :snooty:

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 26 February 2011, 21:26

pokkis wrote:
Darn, i was almost trying to mwrite something about this but looks that i should not :snooty:
You are welcome to write everything you want :-)
i`m learning

Snegorez
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Technique - rotation

Post by Snegorez » Saturday 26 February 2011, 22:21

azaz44 wrote:so why rotation?
Based on the body rotation (in opposite to counter-rotation), this technique can be applied to each snowboard discipline (including freestyle and freeride) because it gives an extraordinary control and pleasure in any situation.

It is directly inspired from surfing (sport in which feet are not bound to the board), which explains its effectiveness.

Be sliding in basic position and, before the turn zone, rotate your whole body toward the direction you want to go to, moving a little bit on your front foot (trick: look at the direction of the center of the circle that shapes the turn, the body will follow the movement). During this step, the snowboard won't turn and go on straight!... The turn begins at the moment where you block the body rotation because, with the inertia, the board will begin the same rotation and thus turn.
Bold is the key to understanding why rotation.
Imagine, where does energy of your rotation go when you are on the edge?
thanks to the momentum of rotation stoppage, nose goes into snow surface strongly than you can push it without it.