Ski with hardboots????

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

tohass
Rank 3
Rank 3

Ski with hardboots????

Post by tohass » Monday 7 February 2011, 19:53

Anyone tried skies using hardboots for snowboard and if so, does it work?

Mazyk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mazyk » Monday 7 February 2011, 20:17

yes, i did on the snowblades (100cm long skis, small sidecut radius) and it is fun but quadriceps hurts a lot because of the forward lean of the hardboot, the is too much of it for skiing.
and i have bts on it. my friends don't have bts, they have normal deeluxe 5 positions thing (original) and they set it to the most upper position and they say that it is good.

tohass
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tohass » Monday 7 February 2011, 21:18

I've got a pair of Deeluxe 700 without any spring system so I can adjust the forward lean.

Mazyk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mazyk » Monday 7 February 2011, 23:09

so try it :)
i tried this on skis witch had same bindings system as f2 race.
i think that you cannot do this on regular ski bindings.

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Monday 7 February 2011, 23:57

I use mine on these (2009 version) and non-releasable bindings.
Works great.
Carves hard.
http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant ... t_Count=12

You can even go fancy and have the top of the line Bomber skiboard bindings on them.

There are releasable bindings for ski boots on skiboards, but the snowboard boots cannot be put on releasable bindings due to compatibility issues.
Carve Diem

SuperHik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SuperHik » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 8:09

Hi,

I never understand, where is the fun of riding snowblades. I own a pair of them, but I use them only for teaching (skiing) . They are unstable at speed and not really suitable for carving. That's why I use ski boots with proper skis (Rossi 9s), to get maximum joy with skiing.

If I remember correctly , UPZ have a boots that can be setup as snowboarding or as skiing boot. I think it would be better to go that way, so you could ride all skis.

Cheers.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 8:51

SuperHik wrote:Hi,

If I remember correctly , UPZ have a boots that can be setup as snowboarding or as skiing boot. I think it would be better to go that way, so you could ride all skis.

Cheers.
Alpine only. But there is a telemark skis also which require special boots.
i`m learning

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 10:19

I think it might be possible to ski with hard boots, meaning you will be able to slide down a pretty soft slope with beginners' or intermediate skis. However, I also would think that the hardboots are too soft for real carving on hard surfaces with slalom or advanced freerace skis. When comparing my skiboots (modified Atomic Race) with my hardboots (Northwave P 900) there are two different worlds. Besides, I would not recommend skiing with non-releasable bindings due to the risk of serious damage to the legs.
harald

Aracan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Aracan » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 10:33

You CANNOT use hardboots with releasable bindings, because those bindings require DIN soles, which hardboots don't have. Even if you manage to get your boots into the bindings, it's not worth the risk - the bindings might not release correctly, which means pain and/or injury.

You CAN use hardboots with non-releasable bindings such as often come on skiboards/snowblades/whatever (the short stuff). I used them with my Indys when my daughter was very small. No problem, though not too comfortable in the long run.

You CAN buy the DIN adapters for the UPZ boots and use them in releasable bindings, though public wisdom says the boots are too soft for serious skiing.

tohass
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tohass » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 17:42

Sounds like I'm not even going to try to ski with my 700. Far to afraid of hurt my knees.
It's just that my 700 are very comfortable after I bought the new liner and the rental ski boots don't fit very well.

Have to buy a pair of ski boots too then.

Thanks all.

The Blitz
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Blitz » Wednesday 9 February 2011, 14:01

SuperHik wrote:UPZ have a boots that can be setup as snowboarding or as skiing boot.
 - 168XH Pro - Custom Dual 168H - Swallow Undertakeur 185

-- Tignes 19 au 25 mars --

gabor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gabor » Wednesday 23 February 2011, 13:56

Snowboard boots are way too flexy compared to ski boots. You can ski with them, I did it with my old Blax Toni (fitted in ski bindings well), and also used my Deeluxe Suzuka with snowblade (does not fit into ski bindings), but needed too much strength. Even in the most stiff position the boots did not support my weight leaning forward into the skiing position.

It is better to get a proper pair of ski boots for skiing.

tohass
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tohass » Thursday 24 February 2011, 13:00

Problem solved. Bought a pair of Salomon Impact CS 10 :)