Pain in the back ankle

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Tomba
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pain in the back ankle

Post by Tomba » Monday 7 February 2011, 14:19

Hey guys.
I am pretty much beginner in EC. I figured out front fully laid turn, but I am still strugling with a back...

I have a big problem. I modified ma UPZ rc-10 boots with spring system shown here: viewtopic.php?t=8405&start=0

But now my back ankle hurts like hell after a few days on the snow!!!
When snowboarding, it somtimes feels like my ankle wants to rip off from its socket.

I cant find a reason for that!
Maybe my boots are to big, becouse my feet moves a bit in them?
Maybe my riding tehnique is wrong?
Should I buy different boots? Wich ones?

I will try to post a video of me riding, but it is not the best quality...sorry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlmDZDmoV4Y

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 7 February 2011, 15:45

Its difficult to tell from your video. The ankles can hurt if you lose the grip during the frontside and the board begins to chatter (the edges grips the snow, lose the grip, catch the snow again). As long as you stand and does not fall I cannot give a good explaination. But as you say, it is important that your boots support your ankles well.
harald

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Range of Motion

Post by rcrobar » Monday 7 February 2011, 16:27

Hello

As Harald said it is difficult to tell, but I would like to suggest my best guess.

When modifying your boots/springs it is possible that the range of motion of the boots/springs exceeds the natural range of motion of your ankle? With normal riding all is fine, but when you hit hard chatter the range of motion of the ankle may give you that ankle ripping from the bone feeling if the movement is too much.

Check, are the springs too short/soft? When I set/cut my springs I tried to make sure that if the springs/boot completely collapsed (to failure), which they shouldn't with normal riding, that the range of motion of the boot/spring stopped just BEFORE reaching the full range of motion of my ankle. If the boot can go further than the ankle, this may cause the feeling you are getting.

Just a guess and a place to start.
Cheers
Rob

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tommaso2k » Monday 7 February 2011, 19:06

Hi,

did this problem with hurting ancle only occur after you modified the spring mechanism in the UPZ or before as well?

I know from personal experience when i am loosing the front side edge and the board begins to chatter that it hurts my ancle.
Do you have pain during normal riding even without loosing the edge?
Do you have lots of cases where you loose edge on frontside and backside and the board starts to chatter?
Brand doesn´t matter, the spirit does!

Tomba
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tomba » Monday 7 February 2011, 19:32

tommaso2k wrote:Hi,

did this problem with hurting ancle only occur after you modified the spring mechanism in the UPZ or before as well?
After. But before I had race board and I didn`t do EC.
tommaso2k wrote:I know from personal experience when i am loosing the front side edge and the board begins to chatter that it hurts my ancle.
Do you have pain during normal riding even without loosing the edge?
At the begining the pain was only present when I lost and regained edge grip. Later, after a few chatters (I was boarding for 7days), the pain was present even with normal riding, becouse ankle was hurting from before. Even now, 3days after I arrived home, my ankle stil hurts when moved to the limit positions.
tommaso2k wrote:Do you have lots of cases where you loose edge on frontside and backside and the board starts to chatter?
I just started EC, so yes...every 3-4 turns :)

Thanx guys for helping ;)

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tommaso2k » Monday 7 February 2011, 19:42

OK, so i think its related to the new EC style you are trying to learn and the fact that you fall down a lot or in other words your board looses the edge and chatters. I dont think the issue is with the spring system.

During this chatter there are quite some forces on the ancle and maybe the tendons are stretched a bit too much.

Honestly i would recommend you to visit a sports doctor just ensure you did not damage / rip something in your ancle like tendon, muscle, bone.

Get it verified from the doctor before you snowboard again. Give it some rest to heal.

In the future try to learn the new EC on a easy blue slope to master the technique first before you go on a steep slope.

Learning EC is not a simple exercise and requires some time and dedication to get it done.

Hope this helps.
Brand doesn´t matter, the spirit does!

Peti
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Peti » Monday 7 February 2011, 21:58

Hi Tomba!

Its hard to tell from your video, why your ankle is hurting, when you are snowboarding. The pain in your feet can have many imaginable reasons.

I had similar problems last season. Even during closing the boots in the morning, before the first run, my foot was aching like hell. During the turns the pain was almost killing me and not only when the board chattered.

I´ve tried several things then: riding with or without canting, varied the stance, losen and tighten the buckles of the boots, heellift yes and no, but nothing helped. You can try to adjust your setup here, maybe you can achieve something here.

I suppose the reason for aching is, that your leg/ankle pushes/smashes against the inside of your boot in every turn, that may cause sort of a bruise in your leg or ankle. And if the first pain is there, it gets worser and worser. But I am no doctor, so this is only my personal point of view. To seek medical advice here is recommended.

Unfortunately only a bigger break of several weeks helped me to ease the pain.

Bigger breaks during the season are not the best thing of course, so at the begginning of this season, I decided to by myself new boots, abandonded my old step-in binding and the pain is gone this year, great! But of course it may helped me, its not guaranteed, that it will help you.

So, I think, you have to experiment and find out what is the best setup for you.

I´ve never tried them, but maybe this helps, too:
http://shop.sport65.de/Ski/Skischuhe/Bo ... ::967.html

These may not solve the problem, but perhaps helps to ease the pain during riding.

Good Luck!

Tomba
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tomba » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 15:30

Thanx guys, you are the best. I guess it`s now up to me to fugure that one out...

First thing I will try to do, is limit the boot movment to the front side by fitting peace of aluminium in the spring mehanism (will pubish photo, when it is done). I think that this will prevent movment of a boot beyond my ankle limits.

Secound I must see a sport doctor, if my ankle won`t stop hurting in couple days.

Third, will try to ride with as little chatter as possible.