ECS2011-Video -> technical tips please

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Sunday 6 February 2011, 23:21

Swayne wrote: Well reading that approves my assumption that it`s a long and stony way to go. Do I want to master it? Let`s say I have limited possibilities with a regular season consisting of 6 consecutive days on the slope plus some extra days maybe. But to stop trying and to bury the dream of EC is not the right solution for me. Cmon, I`m young (23)... I still got some time and don`t have to stop snowboarding tomorrow. I don`t mind practicing hard and kissing the snow with my butt or other parts of my body, so why should I stop?
Sounds very good :-)

When do you plan to be on slope next time?
i`m learning

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 7 February 2011, 10:36

Hi,
I am one of the few that is not on Facebook, so why do you not make a version without music and put it on YouTube?
Then to your ambitions of mastering carving and then EC. To be realistic, Starikashka is right. Learning technical skills requires hours and hours of training and repetition. The 10.000 hours rule applies to mastering EC as well, so, unfortunately 6 consecutive days each year is too little. You have to be often on the snow to develop the feeling for the surface, gliding, edging, subtle adjustments to the changing surface so you do not need to think about the basics of running your board. As the other ones have adviced you, you should spend hours on the easy (blue and green slopes) training on basic techniques as you learnt on your courses in Zinal.
Since you live in Netherlands, it will mean that you invest a lot of money and time on the indoor slopes in your country. I do not know their length and steepness, but since I have heard that many ski teams spend hours on training there, they should be fine for basic technique training. Or if you are really dedicated, you may take a seasonal afternoon/night job in a wintersport resort allowing you to go out and practice in the morning. I meet a lot of young people doing that in Norwegian as well as in Alpine ski resorts.
Good luck with your training.
harald

Swayne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Swayne » Monday 7 February 2011, 22:14

starikashka wrote:
Sounds very good :-)

When do you plan to be on slope next time?
Perhaps one more time in April. If not, I`ll have to wait until next Christmas.
harald wrote:Hi,
I am one of the few that is not on Facebook, so why do you not make a version without music and put it on YouTube?
Then to your ambitions of mastering carving and then EC. To be realistic, Starikashka is right. Learning technical skills requires hours and hours of training and repetition. The 10.000 hours rule applies to mastering EC as well, so, unfortunately 6 consecutive days each year is too little. You have to be often on the snow to develop the feeling for the surface, gliding, edging, subtle adjustments to the changing surface so you do not need to think about the basics of running your board. As the other ones have adviced you, you should spend hours on the easy (blue and green slopes) training on basic techniques as you learnt on your courses in Zinal.
Since you live in Netherlands, it will mean that you invest a lot of money and time on the indoor slopes in your country. I do not know their length and steepness, but since I have heard that many ski teams spend hours on training there, they should be fine for basic technique training. Or if you are really dedicated, you may take a seasonal afternoon/night job in a wintersport resort allowing you to go out and practice in the morning. I meet a lot of young people doing that in Norwegian as well as in Alpine ski resorts.
Good luck with your training.
I`m sorry. I will upload the video to youtube without soundtrack.
From whom is that "10000 hour rule"?
I live in Germany, it`s maybe two hours to the next proper ski area. But it`s not only a matter of distance but of spare time and money.

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 10:42

Ok, sorry for my geographical mistake. I am not certain who came up with the 10.000 hours rule. I think it was a psychologist or brain researcher. The rule came up as popular conclusion after having studied how much top level musicians, athletes, and other top performers had practiced before they reached their level. Generally, they had practiced about 1.000 hours each year for about 10 years before reaching their level, meaning about 20 hours a week or 3 hours each day. This finding should not be taken too literally, but it tells that everything we do that require high levels of skills also require lots of training. The physical explanation is that during the training we develop new connections in the brain (synapses) which take time to develop and maintain. It also is a saying, or a rule of thumb, that it takes 7 years of intensive practice to be a good skier (alpine) or surfer. Therefore, there is no surprise that good windsurfers, surfers, skiers, or snowboarders live close to (or travel) to good training spots so they can practice almost the whole year. This is a sorry fact for all that live far from slopes, sea, or whatever is needed to be real good. When that is said, we who have not the time and opportunities to practice so much, still can be decent performers. Therefore, we should enjoy the time we can on our activity and having fun at the level we are, with ambitions of constantly improving.
harald

Viviane
Rank 5
Rank 5

ec

Post by Viviane » Thursday 10 February 2011, 15:48

Hi Swayne,

here is a link to a training example.
Ben is one of the best Russia extreme carvers.
As myself you will have to do that simple slopes over and over again and than the day will come that you can say: "YES!"

Succes,
viviane

Viviane
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Viviane » Thursday 10 February 2011, 15:49

Oeps, forgot the link. Here it is: BEN(evGen) Training on Volchiha.wmv
Good luck!
viviane

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 10 February 2011, 15:52

Viviane wrote:Oeps, forgot the link. Here it is: BEN(evGen) Training on Volchiha.wmv
Good luck!
Yes, Swayne. Try to find this on YouTube :-)

It`s very easy so even 8 year old girl can do this quite easily.
i`m learning

rowies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rowies » Thursday 24 February 2011, 21:41

here is the link, I really love this movie :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jVztPStsEA

It looks so simple but hell it isn't :-)