A bit of SL Love

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

A bit of SL Love

Post by WinterGold » Monday 17 January 2011, 20:25

A short clip of me torturing my SL board :wink: -

I hope you like it, even though it is not EC style :D

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 17 January 2011, 21:01

WinterGold, are you taking part in race competitions?
i`m learning

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Monday 17 January 2011, 22:07

No, too old ... I just enjoy what the mountains have to offer :D ...

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 11:24

WinterGold wrote:No, too old ... I just enjoy what the mountains have to offer :D ...
Did some before?

P.S. How old are you?
i`m learning

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 15:22

Now it gets personal :oops: ... (PM sent)

richard1
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by richard1 » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 15:43

He must be older than 70. So much experience :lol:
lg
Richard

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 17:48

Agree, only persons over 70 are old.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 20:21

WinterGold wrote:No it gets personal :oops: ... (PM sent)
:-) got it, sorry :-) in Russia only girls are hesitate if someone ask about age :-) But i really do not interested in age actually.

I just want to know why you are using race techniq for a free carving? Is there any reason behind this?
i`m learning

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 21:00

This question is a bit difficult to answer.

First of, there is no real race technique - in racing certain techniques are used to efficiently go down the race course at a high speed. Basic technique elements are adapted in order to go through the gates following the best line. And also, if you compare e.g. JJ Anderson to Benjamin Karl you will see how difficult it is to talk of "one" race technique. They are almost like night and day in comparison :D ...

The technique I use is extremely versatile - from varying snow conditions to moguls to powder, from blue runs to black runs - it can easily be adopted to different needs. And you can go really fast as well, because there is less drag on the snow.

But I also like the push/pull technique. Actually I use it myself often when riding in powder. Not so much on slopes, but maybe this will change a bit in the future :wink: ... I know that this technique is also highly effective!

I hope this answers your question a bit ...

richard1 - I take this as a huge compliment :wink: !

Alex56
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Alex56 » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 22:43

what is the stance you use ?
F2 Silberpfeil 163| UPZ RC10 25.5 | F2 Race Titanium

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Wednesday 19 January 2011, 10:58

Stance: 54* front and 51* back, about 51cm apart, no canting or lift.
I use Ibex TC bindings (now Carve Company).

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 19 January 2011, 11:13

WinterGold wrote:This question is a bit difficult to answer.
Yes :-) this is why i ask. Usually this question leads to desperate flaming, but i think we are able to manage the discussion and avoid this :-)
WinterGold wrote: First of, there is no real race technique - in racing certain techniques are used to efficiently go down the race course at a high speed. Basic technique elements are adapted in order to go through the gates following the best line. And also, if you compare e.g. JJ Anderson to Benjamin Karl you will see how difficult it is to talk of "one" race technique. They are almost like night and day in comparison :D ...

The technique I use is extremely versatile - from varying snow conditions to moguls to powder, from blue runs to black runs - it can easily be adopted to different needs. And you can go really fast as well, because there is less drag on the snow.
What i know about racing technic is that there is a counter-rotation and less nose pressing than CMC-style for example. People who adopt basics of race techiq usually telling that this provides necessary control and good for bumpy slopes. I think you telling the same thing, right?

In my ride i try to avoid any counter-rotation because it reduces my stability.
WinterGold wrote: But I also like the push/pull technique. Actually I use it myself often when riding in powder. Not so much on slopes, but maybe this will change a bit in the future :wink: ... I know that this technique is also highly effective!

Yes :-) but let`s talk about race style first. I would like to build own picture why adopted race style is suitable for bumps and any kind of slopes. There should be a clear reason, for example based on physics.

Also i would like to talk about beginners later. Some riders are talking that race techniq, or adopted race techniq is better to start hardbooting, but they are not clear why.
i`m learning

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Wednesday 19 January 2011, 12:24

Why should we start a flame war???
For me there is no "better". I try to avoid such evaluations. For us as "freecarvers" it is all about the fun. If you like a certain style then just do it. Don´t worry about "experts" telling you what is right or wrong. Usually there is not much behind their arguments :twisted: ...

What is CMC-style?

You say I use race technique and then you say that race technique has something to do with counter rotation. Do you see any counter rotation in my videos? I try to avoid counter rotation as well. It is sometimes used by racers (especially when they initiated a turn by drifting (which we don´t want to do at all, right?)), but it is not an important factor of the "race technique" I know about (remember that there is no real race technique in my books!).

If you look at my avatar you will see that my position is very stable. The center of mass is closer to the edge than with certain other techniques and I am able to move my body in almost all direction (as I am not fully extended nor crouched together too much). Therefore I can react very fast if the ride gets bumpy, etc.

With a good push/pull technique you can reach similar results. Therefore I like this technique as well!

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 19 January 2011, 12:54

WinterGold wrote:Why should we start a flame war???
For me there is no "better". I try to avoid such evaluations. For us as "freecarvers" it is all about the fun. If you like a certain style then just do it. Don´t worry about "experts" telling you what is right or wrong. Usually there is not much behind their arguments :twisted: ...
Yep :-) we will not, but history tell that people can :-)

I agree that there is no right or wrong technique if person can descent the slope by using any of this and get fun, or good time resuld, whatever.

I try to understand if there some advantage for a freecarving.
WinterGold wrote:What is CMC-style?
I can`t give you now direct link, as i do not have access to YouTube. Look for "Carve master challenge" and you will find short clip of Curt Debartolo, he is from US. Sometimes it`s called bomberstyle(in Russia).
WinterGold wrote:Do you see any counter rotation in my videos? I try to avoid counter rotation as well. It is sometimes used by racers (especially when they initiated a turn by drifting (which we don´t want to do at all, right?)), but it is not an important factor of the "race technique" I know about (remember that there is no real race technique in my books!).

If you look at my avatar you will see that my position is very stable. The center of mass is closer to the edge than with certain other techniques and I am able to move my body in almost all direction (as I am not fully extended nor crouched together too much). Therefore I can react very fast if the ride gets bumpy, etc.

With a good push/pull technique you can reach similar results. Therefore I like this technique as well!
Yes, i`ve spotted some counter-rotation especially in backside turn. That`s why i start talking about race stuff. Also SL letters makes me think that this video you posted is about slalom technique applied for a freecarving.

Which books you are talking about.
i`m learning

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Wednesday 19 January 2011, 15:36

.. in my books ... - it is just an English saying - it means that for me a racing technique doesn´t really exist, because there is no special technique for racing. Racers just use different technique elements and combine them for their own purpose. But nevermind ...

Advantages for freecarving? An advantage for what? That is the question!

The SL in the title just refers to slalom boards and not to any race technique.

The CMC video shows some really nice carving turns!

There is no counter rotation that I´m aware of. Maybe you have a different definition what a counter rotation is.

Sometimes it can happen if you hit a bump, etc. (see the picture taken from your mentioned CMC video).

Maybe you can post a few screen shots where I use counter rotation?
Attachments
CMC.jpg
CMC.jpg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 9609 times