ACSS - Advanced Carving Spring System for Deeluxe

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Jackin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: ACSS - Advanced Carving Spring System for Deeluxe

Post by Jackin » Tuesday 11 December 2012, 0:48

I tried ACSS on weekend in Pitztal. Nice flex, good job anyway, but I need to cut shells too.

But I have little problem to separate upper shell from lower on my Raichel SB 225. Screws on knees are something glued and I dont know how to untight them completely, just only to half-way. Maybe driller and new spare parts will be solution. Have anyone some experience ?

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 11 December 2012, 7:30

Hi Jackin,

I'm glad you like the system :-)

The screws are flattened on the end side. People usually drill them and replace them by any other screws. But the truth is that it's sometimes better to make it with a dremel machine step by step to remove the plastics inside.
On the other hand I've just prepared raichle 225 like this and I didn't have to remove these screws. The upper shell should be unlocked, the liner taken out, and then you should bend the shell forward as much as needed to be able to cut the inner plastics (these are over the heel) from the outside from back of the boot.

There is however a worse problem in Raichles - > the lower fastener is limiting forward move so I've moved mine about 3cm upwards. I will make some pictures today in the afternoon.
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

Jackin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jackin » Wednesday 12 December 2012, 2:35

Abrax wrote:The screws are flattened on the end side. People usually drill them and replace them by any other screws. But the truth is that it's sometimes better to make it with a dremel machine step by step to remove the plastics inside.
On the other hand I've just prepared raichle 225 like this and I didn't have to remove these screws. The upper shell should be unlocked, the liner taken out, and then you should bend the shell forward as much as needed to be able to cut the inner plastics (these are over the heel) from the outside from back of the boot.
I got it. Bended ready for cutting, but what tool I need to use ? Sharp knife does not seem good for it (not much space for move), maybe hobby cutter ? Do I need to cut both boots, or only for back leg ?
Abrax wrote: There is however a worse problem in Raichles - > the lower fastener is limiting forward move so I've moved mine about 3cm upwards. I will make some pictures today in the afternoon.
It looks interesting...

Jackin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jackin » Wednesday 12 December 2012, 21:35

Finally I have got it. Untight the screws from side, bend upper shells forward and from back side of boot I cut it with small saw or very solid thin sharp knife (good for finishing plastic edges after cutting too). Plastic is very soft and good for cutting with what you can imagine.

I cut only "the duck tail", no sides of lower shell (there is no much space for cutting). But it seem be good after assembling and try on walk and sides is not involved in any free move, I think.

I cut both boots.

Thanks guys.

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Wednesday 12 December 2012, 22:43

Jackin wrote:Finally I have got it. Untight the screws from side, bend upper shells forward and from back side of boot I cut it with small saw or very solid thin sharp knife (good for finishing plastic edges after cutting too). Plastic is very soft and good for cutting with what you can imagine.
Exactly, you've got it! :-)
Jackin wrote:I cut only "the duck tail", no sides of lower shell (there is no much space for cutting). But it seem be good after assembling and try on walk and sides is not involved in any free move, I think.
Yes, just the duck tail is limiting forward movement. After a while you will notice that there is also a tongue which may be a bit too wide to let the forward move. I've cut the duck tail and then about 1cm from each side of my plastic tongue. This combined with the lower fastener moved 2,5cm upwards made a great carving boot.
Jackin wrote:I cut both boots.
That's right! two boots should be working in the same way!
www.carvingskills.com

Jackin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jackin » Thursday 13 December 2012, 0:58

2Abrax:
could you post here for everybody pictures of tongues cut area and lower fastener ? Anytime...I take a look on PCS...

Etienne H.
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Etienne H. » Wednesday 19 December 2012, 9:16

I have installed on my Raichle (Le Mans), the BTS system. Is it normal that the spring centerpiece moves inward when you press the shoe forward? Or should we put something down there? :?:
See my video https://picasaweb.google.com/1093261558 ... 1223828194 too:
or this video (my shoes, Raichle and Burton Reaktor) https://picasaweb.google.com/1093261558 ... 4130485746
Thanks Etienne
Attachments
BTS-m.jpg
Raichle (Le Mans) with the BTS system
Swoard 168cm H G3, + 175cm H G1, Race Titanium, Northwave .900, Burton Reactor, Wallis

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Wednesday 19 December 2012, 9:45

Hello Etienne,

Technically, seems that everything is just right. But on the other hand, IMO nothing like this should be possible. This is one of the thing, which really differs ACSS from BTS.

In ACSS you are told to stabilize the movement by screwing the u-shaped part to the upper shell AND securing the u-part with the bolt. But a hole in the upper shell is needed.

In BTS, you simply put the bolt in, generally everything is on place but it may cause your boot to lock it's movement while riding. I'm not stating that it will lock, I'm just aware of some feedback on BTS system. On the other hand I have the impression that the BTS system has changed a bit, but I didn't have an occasion to compare the parts directly. Maybe this additional movement is securing the BTS from locking? So maybe BTS is a bit better than few years ago...

We have much positive feedback from ACSS users who have came in after removing BTS and putting ACSS on place.

Please understand, I am not an expert in BTS technical issues. You should ask Fin on bomberonline...
www.carvingskills.com

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Wednesday 19 December 2012, 9:55

That is fully normal, and has no effect on riding performance.
Mine works same way and have had no issue since day one when BTS was published :bravo:

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Wednesday 19 December 2012, 10:00

It's even more interesting by the fact that technically and theoretically the BTS should not lock up. However there are some people who state that their system is sometimes locked...

Pokkis, is your system the same as the one which was just shown to us? I have the impression that now it is a bit smaller, comparing to the BTS from before 2009 ??
www.carvingskills.com

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Wednesday 19 December 2012, 11:22

BTS is good system as long as the BTS on the back foot is modified to allow more fore flex and on the front foot for more aft flex.
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Wednesday 19 December 2012, 13:54

I have original and updated system in use in my family :bravo:

Etienne H.
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Etienne H. » Thursday 20 December 2012, 10:05

The BTS system just to the Raichle Deeluxe fit without to make modification, is stupid.
My additional modifications:
1: lower spring not mounted.
2: 5mm thick wooden board, prevents bending of the middle piece.
3: The two Allen screws for the shoe side position the left and right shoe, leave open
See my new video (huge difference) 8) : https://picasaweb.google.com/1093261558 ... 6640489442
Here is the old video (no modification), by comparison: https://picasaweb.google.com/1093261558 ... 4946728658
Attachments
wood.JPG
wood.JPG (46.42 KiB) Viewed 13080 times
Swoard 168cm H G3, + 175cm H G1, Race Titanium, Northwave .900, Burton Reactor, Wallis

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 20 December 2012, 11:38

I have also removed bottom spring as it prevents boot to get most up-right position which is needed to stand comfy way with boots.
But i dont see what problem it makes that cente rpart is moving, it even helps related axle not stucking when it moves with axle.
But we should not perhaps not high-jack ACSS thread with BTS discussion due :silenced:

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Thursday 20 December 2012, 18:09

No no, It's even more interesting,

Two final thoughts:

1. If you are removing the lower screw from the BTS, it is possibly far too hard. Another thing is that BTS is designed with BOMBER and ACSS with EXTREMECARVING in mind... In EC we should use those very soft springs to learn how to use our calves while riding. After some time harder springs will be needed ( it's being tested right now on snow ).

2. If you still have to think about the proper installation, possibly it is way easier to install ACSS and have it already tested. I can guarantee that nothing is moving, or causes any additional weird movement of any part.

Remember, the rod is not straight in ACSS and this saves your pant's because the overhang is minimal... And one more thing, the ACSS was designed especially to ease the start with the Extremecarving technique! :-)
www.carvingskills.com