ACSS - Advanced Carving Spring System for Deeluxe

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Re: ACSS - Advanced Carving Spring System for Deeluxe

Post by Abrax » Monday 5 March 2012, 19:17

Few weeks ago there was an issue with a post office in my city.

Some of the ACSS kits were shipped once more on Thursday 1st of March. Should be delivered on Wednesday 7th or on Thursday 8th.

I'm really sorry for this. Please understand that this was not my fault.
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

thebionicman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thebionicman » Tuesday 6 March 2012, 21:53

Thanks for the update. Figured if you were still posting that you are still around.

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by christian61 » Thursday 8 March 2012, 16:54

No need to worry. Abrax is absolutely reliable.
I my case, the package took about 9 days to arrive, although Poland and Germany are neighbor countries.

Christian
SWOARD EXTREMECARVER GEN4 168s + 161m, Deeluxe 225 + ACSS

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Wednesday 14 March 2012, 21:26

Hi there,

I've updated the first post with an instruction manual. I will rewrite the first post in a near future to make reading through the whole thread obsolete.

Hope you will like it :-)
www.carvingskills.com

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 20 March 2012, 20:22

christian61 wrote:No need to worry. Abrax is absolutely reliable.
I my case, the package took about 9 days to arrive, although Poland and Germany are neighbor countries.
Does anyone know if you get a tracking number? I have ordered springs too :)
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 20 March 2012, 20:59

Sure, I'll send it to you tomorrow morning :-)
www.carvingskills.com

sorro
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by sorro » Friday 23 March 2012, 16:22

Hi Rafal,

After few test on snow, here is my feedback on your ACSS.

First I would like to congrat you for the good work you have done to design it, it is very nice and well done. A must have to have a proper push/pull technique :bravo:

Then I would like to show you my "home made" ACSS that I used so far on my 324, for sure not so well designed as yours:
P1050506_1.jpg
P1050506_1.jpg (160.87 KiB) Viewed 11152 times
I took the original RAB that I installed up side down, put much softer spring and cut the cylinder to allow the spring system to move and not be blocked by the cylinder that would limit the forward flex.

To install your ACSS on my spare 325, I did the same cut as on my 324:
P1050505_1.jpg
P1050505_1.jpg (166.84 KiB) Viewed 11152 times
As you can see, I did not cut the inner shell on the sides, cause I do not think it is preventing that much the forward or backward flex.

But I did further cut in the shell to avoid the shell to be blocked during the forward flex against the buckles:
P1050511_2.jpg
P1050511_2.jpg (29.08 KiB) Viewed 11152 times
to be continued...
And also I took a very soft tongue (coming from 123) that I cut as well to allow them to bend more easily:

sorro
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by sorro » Friday 23 March 2012, 16:32

And also I took a very soft tongue (coming from 123) that I cut as well to allow them to bend more easily:
P1050513_1.jpg
P1050513_1.jpg (87.97 KiB) Viewed 11180 times
P1050512_1.jpg
P1050512_1.jpg (103.13 KiB) Viewed 11180 times
I have to say that with all these cuts, some snow is going into the shell that is not very confortable a the end of day, I solve this issue using this (thank you Arnaud for the tip):
P1050515_1.jpg
P1050515_1.jpg (123.18 KiB) Viewed 11180 times
Now the test, I was a bit confused in my settings at the beginning cause the length of screw is not the same on both system, so setting same distance between the top of screw and upper bolt will not have same effect on both feet. This drive to strange feeling when riding, but once solved all was much better.

Honestly I did not notice huge change comparing to my system meaning that my system what not that bad at the end :wink:
But I was waiting more benefits on the backward flex, cause in my system there is no spring at all to absorb backward flex during the backside, only the shell play this role.

to be continued...

sorro
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by sorro » Friday 23 March 2012, 16:39

So I'm wondering if adding harder spring at the bottom (just below the current spring) will not be a good solution cause it seems that on the backside, the spring is compressed but again this is the shell that is stopping the backward flexion so no real absorbtion by the spring during backside...

But I think that to put harder spring, I will have to cut more plastic to allow deeper backward flexion, so that it will be only the harder spring that will limit the flexion during backside and not the shell. Here is the cut that I plan to do:
P1050516_2.jpg
P1050516_2.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 11183 times
Let me know your thoughts.

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Friday 23 March 2012, 17:01

Hi sorro,

Thank you for your review!

All seems nice and smooth, good job on tuning!
I would not cut any plastics on the back movement.
Just raise the lower nut higher.
It may have happened that the rods are not the same length but this again has to be adjusted with nuts and there is generally a need for a longer rod on the back foot.
A difference between modified RAB and ACSS is the backside lean. Anyway your setup seems to be loosened too much. In my case when the ACSS is loosened that much, the backside turn does not seems perfect. Turning the lower nut up, make the thing.

Set it up - then you can still cut plastics. But unless the system is set up = please do not make any other cuts.

Here in Poland some guys ride without any systems at all and they don't feel much difference when putting the ACSS in. The answer to this strange situation is that on a high enough level, we start to use our ankles while turning. Once we start, we need the springs less and less... This is why these springs are so soft. Believe me or not but my 94kg is feeling completely comfortable with the system and can't do very well without it. My friends who used to ride without springs or other system at all, weight about 70kg.

Anyway, I am thinking about adding a stiffer springs option in the near future :-)
www.carvingskills.com

sorro
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by sorro » Friday 23 March 2012, 17:32

Hi Rafal,

Yeah, I tried to turn the lower nut higher also, but then I feel that backward lean stop too soon for me... maybe I need to get used to it, it is sooo many years that I'm riding with my 324 which seems anyway to naturally allow more backward flexion that the 325.
I need also to test your ACSS system on my 324 to do a side to side test...

Then I will decide if I go for more plastic cut on 325...

Please go on with the engineering on ACSS, again no doubt that it is REALLY a important device in our setup to be able to perform proper push and pull ! :bravo:

Enjoy the last days of the season...

Anthony.

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Friday 23 March 2012, 18:21

sorro wrote:Yeah, I tried to turn the lower nut higher also, but then I feel that backward lean stop too soon for me...
The most advanced riders seems to say the same. That the ACSS should let more flex forward and backward. This is very interesting because the system itself allows for full backward bending (as much as the plastics let and this is a bit too much in my opinion) and for full forward bending limited just by specific ankle personal setup. I may check it once more next year as I am finally able to link fully laid turns! Yes this is the first season ever with this ability :-) But being able to do so, I'm far from any further ACSS improvements. Of corse everybody feels it differently. It's enough for me but I know that this does not necessarily mean that it is enough for everybody.
sorro wrote:Please go on with the engineering on ACSS, again no doubt that it is REALLY a important device in our setup to be able to perform proper push and pull ! :bravo:
In summer time I will check for CNC machining possibilities and will search for another spring setup to allow the system to be used in racing. Should I consider longer rod? I don't think so but be sure that I will check it once more :-) Maybe I will surprise myself and you all and maybe we will come out with a completely new 2012 model? Who knows. Be sure that the system is not left alone and some development still goes further.

IMO the final product should be 100% machined and galvanized instead of painted. But the price can't raise anymore.
The main goal is still the same -> it has to be perfect for extremecarving :-)
www.carvingskills.com

Peti
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Peti » Saturday 24 March 2012, 11:36

Hi Rafal!

I picked up my ACSS yesterday at the post office, now I´m looking forward to ride with them!

Thanks again, nice job.

Peter
Attachments
ACSS_1_01.JPG
ACSS_1_01.JPG (119.78 KiB) Viewed 11155 times

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 10 April 2012, 19:42

I have received the acss springs from abrax. They are robust looking and cool!

There were issues with delivery time but hey they're here now.

Think i'll admire them for a while before i put them into action:-)

Another step in the diirection of laid carves.

Thanks abrax:-)
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

triple7
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triple7 » Sunday 9 September 2012, 14:26

Hello guys,
I'm new and would like to buy a swoard this year and new boots, because my old Raichles hurt...
So what do you think is a good boot for EC together with an ACSS? My weight is just above 70kg.