Forum spam

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Friday 10 December 2010, 8:49

Yes, the upgrade to version 3 is necessary. It will be done during low activity next summer. ;-)

Patrice Fivat

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 10 December 2010, 22:43

fivat wrote:Yes, the upgrade to version 3 is necessary. It will be done during low activity next summer. ;-)
why spammers place posts on this forum? are they earn money somehow because of this?
i`m learning

Tiger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiger » Saturday 11 December 2010, 2:12

fivat wrote:Yes, the upgrade to version 3 is necessary.
I have moved from phpbb to SMF ( http://www.simplemachines.org/ ). You can easily import a complete phpbb forum without loosing any data. I think, it's worth to have a look at this cool piece of software.

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Saturday 11 December 2010, 12:19

starikashka wrote:
fivat wrote:Yes, the upgrade to version 3 is necessary. It will be done during low activity next summer. ;-)
why spammers place posts on this forum? are they earn money somehow because of this?
If you have a website, and you want a top-10 position in Google for certain keywords like "oil", "gas" or "pipeline", you go to a company in a low wage country, and you pay them a certain amount for a certain position on a certain keyword or keyword combination. These companies guarantee you the spot if you pay the money, no cure no pay. If the keyword is a very competitive keyword, you pay more money. For example "sex" would probably cost you millions, while a top spot for "my little pink rubber ducky" could be achieved for just a few hundreds.

After you have paid such a company, they will start making bogus websites, pay legit websites for putting up links or just spam the hell out of any website they can find. The benefit of paying or spamming existing websites is the fact that it takes time and effort to make a website important for google, because the site itself also needs incoming links. The reason BOL and EC always come up in top spots if you search for carving related topics is because WE all link to these websites. Now if one of these important websites links to another website, this link will have more value than a link from an unknown website.

You can understand it's very tempting to pay such a spamming company for top positions if the other route you have is spending months and tons of efforts to legally promote your website and get enough incoming links to touch the top 10 on nice keywords. Especially in internet business being on time is essential because ideas are so easy to steal.
Fridgecarver