Need boot shop and fitter near Boston!!

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

QuattroAnte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QuattroAnte » Saturday 27 November 2010, 22:00

starikashka wrote:
QuattroAnte wrote:I'm of the same idea that you are thebootfitter of yourself, but not everyone can make the correct modifications
Can you give a general description of what those correct modification should fix? Not a single example, but types of bugs that has to be solved.

at least two of them i already know - it`s a feet anomalies and shell shape :-) what else?
don't mind, i think some pathologics of the feet. Fortunately it's not my case. Maybe 6 fingers for foot :lol:
Sempre e comunque pupillo di EMI

Swoard 168H
Factory Prime 7.3 200s "Radetzky"
Factory Prime 7.8 200s "Eisenhower"
Northwave .350 modded & head stratos + accs

QuattroAnte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QuattroAnte » Saturday 27 November 2010, 22:16

Seriously, until the heads, i felt pain at the plant of the foot, and tried a lot of kind of soles but without any result. Probably the bootfitter can solve some problems.
If you can solve by yourself, you can have a future in that job :lol:

Swoard 168H

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 30 November 2010, 19:43

QuattroAnte wrote:Seriously, until the heads, i felt pain at the plant of the foot, and tried a lot of kind of soles but without any result. Probably the bootfitter can solve some problems.
I do not think bootfitter career can provide me sufficient earnings :-) For me it`s just some technology that i studied.

Do you understand exactly why your previous boots did not fit well for you?
i`m learning

QuattroAnte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QuattroAnte » Tuesday 30 November 2010, 20:27

starikashka wrote:
QuattroAnte wrote:Seriously, until the heads, i felt pain at the plant of the foot, and tried a lot of kind of soles but without any result. Probably the bootfitter can solve some problems.
I do not think bootfitter career can provide me sufficient earnings :-) For me it`s just some technology that i studied.

Do you understand exactly why your previous boots did not fit well for you?
not exactly. Most i think that was the lateral position of the deeluxe tongue, instead of the central o the head. Now i close my boots in the morning and unlock them just after stop carving, in late afternoon

Swoard 168H

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 30 November 2010, 21:37

QuattroAnte wrote: not exactly. Most i think that was the lateral position of the deeluxe tongue, instead of the central o the head. Now i close my boots in the morning and unlock them just after stop carving, in late afternoon
It is fair to say that deeluxe boots are drawn by the guy with hands growing from the ass. It`s require lot of efforts to ensure proper heel fixation. They can be kicked of from the market due to advanced dezign of UPZ. Hope that they will not die, so we will buy UPZ for 1000EUR then :-)

But all problems can be fixed if root causes were understood.
i`m learning

QuattroAnte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QuattroAnte » Tuesday 30 November 2010, 23:50

starikashka wrote:
QuattroAnte wrote: not exactly. Most i think that was the lateral position of the deeluxe tongue, instead of the central o the head. Now i close my boots in the morning and unlock them just after stop carving, in late afternoon
It is fair to say that deeluxe boots are drawn by the guy with hands growing from the ass. It`s require lot of efforts to ensure proper heel fixation. They can be kicked of from the market due to advanced dezign of UPZ. Hope that they will not die, so we will buy UPZ for 1000EUR then :-)

But all problems can be fixed if root causes were understood.
i see. infact these were my last pair of deeluxe. head for life.

Swoard 168H

ursle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ursle » Tuesday 14 December 2010, 16:43

Comapedrosa wrote:Guys, sorry to interrupt your exciting conversation...

any thoughts about a place where i can try boots, and where to find a good bootfitter?
Surefoot at Killington is going to mold you into the "conformable or their own" liner but you need shells.
The Starting Gate 877-297-1213, stocks alpine boots and will fit you, Equipe Sports @ Stratton 802.297.3460 also stocks and installs, call first.
UPZ boots can be acquired from http://www.upzboots.com/ , but you need to know your size.

qowah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qowah » Saturday 18 December 2010, 19:59

2 starikashka: Whenever you need a service performed for you, be it bootfitting or car maintenance or whatever, you'd rather spend time and learn and become proficient enough to do it yourself than find somebody who would do it for your $. This is so typically Russian (in a good way!).

Try to accept that, the more you go west from the motherland, the more people like it the other way: they drive their cars to a mechanic and call a plumber when there's a leak.

No offense at all, I'm only saying that because I am Russian myself. :)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 18 December 2010, 23:30

qowah wrote:2 starikashka: Whenever you need a service performed for you, be it bootfitting or car maintenance or whatever, you'd rather spend time and learn and become proficient enough to do it yourself than find somebody who would do it for your $. This is so typically Russian (in a good way!).

Try to accept that, the more you go west from the motherland, the more people like it the other way: they drive their cars to a mechanic and call a plumber when there's a leak.

No offense at all, I'm only saying that because I am Russian myself. :)
Does western approach envisages that you will pay money for people who are less capable than you even if you have time to do this job by yourself?
i`m learning

qowah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qowah » Sunday 19 December 2010, 2:29

That's the purpose of the thread: to find a person/shop that does the work well.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Sunday 19 December 2010, 10:15

qowah wrote:That's the purpose of the thread: to find a person/shop that does the work well.
It`s a very rare person. I`m sure topic starter will spend more time to find this Master compared with what he will spend to do it himself.

There is always cheaper option aviliable that can provide same or better result. Using good sence is not a Russian tradition only.
i`m learning

qowah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qowah » Sunday 19 December 2010, 11:22

Don't really want to continue highjacking the thread, but since we've started the argument, I'll try and make my point clearer :)

I don't really follow your logic. First, you're saying a rare person can do the job well, but then you're adding that anyone can quickly learn the trade themselves. This can only be true if the market for the job is virtually non-existent -- but it isn't: there are quite a few shops in the US, such as the aforementioned Surefoot, that do the job quickly and not too expensive.

Look, I'm not trying to say what's right or wrong. Whatever works is best. I just don't think that one approach is universally better than the other for everyone: people have different attitudes as well as skills and backgrounds and, what's no less important, locations, and, if for you it was easier to do the work yourself, I don't think it gives you the right to say it's non-sensical to use someone else's service instead.

As for my comment about a certain trait being "typically Russian", I didn't mean to offend anyone, it's just something I'd been noticing a lot and what I'm actually very proud of, being Russian myself.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 21 December 2010, 12:57

qowah wrote:Don't really want to continue highjacking the thread, but since we've started the argument, I'll try and make my point clearer :)

I don't really follow your logic. First, you're saying a rare person can do the job well, but then you're adding that anyone can quickly learn the trade themselves. This can only be true if the market for the job is virtually non-existent -- but it isn't: there are quite a few shops in the US, such as the aforementioned Surefoot, that do the job quickly and not too expensive.
You not mentoned a quality, only time and money.

I do not understand why, but for some reason good bootfitter is rare person. What i can suggest is that most of those people just not motivated enough to provide best in class service - as you say it is not too expensive.
qowah wrote:Look, I'm not trying to say what's right or wrong. Whatever works is best. I just don't think that one approach is universally better than the other for everyone: people have different attitudes as well as skills and backgrounds and, what's no less important, locations, and, if for you it was easier to do the work yourself, I don't think it gives you the right to say it's non-sensical to use someone else's service instead.
I understand. You are fighting for a truth like "There is no single recipie - it always depends". Our discussion is a similar to that when business is deciding to insource/outsource the service.

In summary my experience tell me that:
- service result is of strategic importance;(you will not be able to ride in uncomfy boots)
- quality service market is not well developed;(good bootfitter is rare)
- there is no secret technology;(it`s easy, lot of educational materials are availiable in the Internet)

Who in those circumstances would outsource a service and will not develop inhouse capability? There is a case, but can you suggest?

My posts are aimed for a person who looking for such a service and believe that bootfitting is a rocket science. In this case telling that using someone service does not make sence can be justified.

I`m not intended to preach those guys who have other reasons to use bootfitting service.

It always up to person to decide. I believe my opinion have a right to be heard whether i`m right or wrong.
qowah wrote:As for my comment about a certain trait being "typically Russian", I didn't mean to offend anyone, it's just something I'd been noticing a lot and what I'm actually very proud of, being Russian myself.
Do not worry, you was not offensive. I`m Ukrainian, who also very proud of being one but does not live there :-))))

P.S.: I hope you are not bootfitter. In case if you are - sorry.
If you are good enough i`m not able to kill your job.
i`m learning