Plates... Naked truth :-) PART 1 (season 2010-2011)

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Tuesday 30 November 2010, 14:06

Of course it's true. I would even say it is a cliche.
Arnaud wrote:Sabestian,
I don't believe that any kind of gear (plates or other) could help you to improve. You need mainly some good advices, then a lot of practice.
Try to join any session of the Swoard Demo Tour and you will make more progress than with any new system.

BTW, I would like to try the plate system during ECS.
As I said before, there is no way to practice more than a week a year for me, and even that in poor snow conditions. So I have no chance to become a perfect ECer.

I imagine a plate to be just like full suspension on my mountain bike that gets me through rough terrain with more ease and pleasure. It is not better, it is different and more suitable for me, my style and my preferences.

I don't want the plate to change me into Mr Fivat. I just want to explore the possibilities to ride with even more pleasure. That's why we have all the gear, BTS, matrixes, cores, fibres, etc. Of course you can EC without them.
Him> Have you ever tried snowboarding?
Me> This is a snowboard.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 17 December 2010, 12:04

some guy wrote:I don't want the plate to change me into Mr Fivat. I just want to explore the possibilities to ride with even more pleasure.
http://www.bomberonline.com/store/acces ... _Plate.cfm

What an incredible marketing solution to sell pleasure for just $749 :-)))))

I just got back from Soelden and was completely dissappointed by what i`ve seen there.
Almost all hardbooters were riding like turtles. There were just two guys out of about 30 spotted hardbooters who were a pleasure to look.

Why not spend this money for training course with good instructor rather than buy plate? Why people are buying the expensive equipment that is difficult to master? There is a ski availiable.

It`s a soul cry :-) Do not have intention to offend somebody.
i`m learning

Chromex
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Chromex » Friday 17 December 2010, 17:19

Because alpine snowboard courses arent anywhere...sometimes you got to learn all by your own.
Burton alp 58 / TD3 SW / Stratos Pro + ACSS

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Friday 17 December 2010, 17:32

starikashka wrote:I just got back from Soelden and was completely dissappointed by what i`ve seen there.
Almost all hardbooters were riding like turtles. There were just two guys out of about 30 spotted hardbooters who were a pleasure to look.
In the weekends in Soelden you'll see masses of adult people from the greater region just riding the best boards and boots for riding groomed slopes. You don't have to be skilled to enjoy riding a hard setup, it can be done by total beginners.

But I think it's a shame they don't sell a lot of intermediate snowboarder's alpine boards. It's all advanced riders boards or softboot boards. I still really enjoy my Hot Special, especially in the start of a week of boarding when I don't have the leg power yet to ride the Swoard. A very friendly board for a beginner!

Maybe you would be better off buying a second hand €50 intermediate board off eBay.de than a €500 plate.
Fridgecarver

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 17 December 2010, 17:33

How many of those turtles were riding with plates?
Anyway i assume none was on Bomber plate due deliveries will start on 31.12 :wink:
I have now 10 days on Donek plate and i'm fully happy even i'm not yet on turtle level yet, but hope to be there before Zinal :D

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 17 December 2010, 21:43

pokkis wrote:How many of those turtles were riding with plates?
Anyway i assume none was on Bomber plate due deliveries will start on 31.12 :wink:
I have now 10 days on Donek plate and i'm fully happy even i'm not yet on turtle level yet, but hope to be there before Zinal :D
Pokkis :-) you and your wife would be another hardbooters who are pleasure to look :-) if your airline managers be more competent :-)

I did not spotted plates on any of those boards. Even swiss guy riding Kessler had no plates.
Chromex wrote:Because alpine snowboard courses arent anywhere...sometimes you got to learn all by your own.
It is not true :-) You should search better!
But i agree that you got to learn by your own. All you need is a competent advisor who can help you with mistakes identification and fixing solution.
i`m learning

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Sunday 19 December 2010, 17:10

Pokkis,

Can You post us Your first impressions, what has changed, what is worse / better, how does it work, what about edge grip or does the snow freeze between plate and board etc.

:-)
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Sunday 19 December 2010, 18:25

Disappointments ( to what i expected):
- no problems with slow speed
- no change how nose of board is loaded
- kickin board on flat is more painfull due extra height

I love:
- my favourite board get even better
- even more stability and even less load to my feets
- extra edge hold
- switched from TD2+extra suspension kit to F2 Intec race and this feels more stable ride even rough surface, so i can sell all my suspension kits away

I will continue with fiddle with plate setups to see if i could get even more out of it.

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Monday 20 December 2010, 22:12

Why so sceptical about the plate system?

A few years ago, nobody rode a SWOARD and now there are some believers here.

I think the plate system is a new beginning of a start of new board/plate/binding technology 8)

ChironWSC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChironWSC » Tuesday 21 December 2010, 14:01

Yeah I have been thinking the same thing reading all the posts. As an engineer I can see how these plates can really help my riding. Only issue I can see is kicking the board when going slow etc but I am sure we will learn new way round that problem.

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 21 December 2010, 14:48

Only area where i've seen any negative aspects is when you must kick board on flat surface but for me that is no major issue. All other areas it works very well.
I have not tried powder yet but i would assume that it is not optimal tool there :wink:

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 21 December 2010, 16:21

ChironWSC wrote:Yeah I have been thinking the same thing reading all the posts. As an engineer I can see how these plates can really help my riding. Only issue I can see is kicking the board when going slow etc but I am sure we will learn new way round that problem.
i`m an engineer also but too conservative :-) I see that developing myself is a proper way to help my ride :-) It`s a second opinion :-)
i`m learning

Zanci
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Zanci » Tuesday 21 December 2010, 16:48

Like the plates, but hated when landed flat, can easily pop a muscle :?

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Tuesday 21 December 2010, 20:24

Will try the BBP UPM this season. Hope I will get it in time.

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 21 December 2010, 20:46

12 days on plate this season :wink:
Got my setup tuned for 4x4 version now.
UPM will be done soon, but i'm pretty sure that it is close to 4x4 setup :bravo:

EDIT Hans you look better and better nowadays in pictures :wink: