16 years since l bought gear.... looking for advice....

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Sunday 31 October 2010, 14:04

joemzl wrote:Hi T.R.
have you seen the older UPZ in Sölden, which are really stiff, or the RC10?
The RC10 is way softer and this years model still more.
It was two years ago, so the previous version.
joemzl wrote:Till now I don´t know any guy who don´t like his RC10 he bought. (Maybe someone wants to tell me?)
Everybody seems to be happy about the fit, that's the most important thing about a boot.
joemzl wrote:A carving board in powder - yes of course it´s possible. It´s like using a racing cycle in rough terrain.
- And some like it. :alien:
I don't think I would ever want to ride serious powder with hardboots and carve specific board. If I would add one board to my quiver it would be a Dual, Dupraz or Tanker just for those days.
Fridgecarver

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flywalker » Monday 1 November 2010, 3:51

Transistor Rhythm wrote:I don't think I would ever want to ride serious powder with hardboots and carve specific board. If I would add one board to my quiver it would be a Dual, Dupraz or Tanker just for those days.
Gentlemen, thank you for your input!

I am moving very close to TD3 SW's and new UPZ RC10's... very close.

For a board... again, ALL mountain with a serious carving side... how about a Prior WCRM built to a 21cm or 22cm waist? They come from the factory with a19.5 cm or a 21cm waist. They will build one up to 23cm if l want it. l was thinking 22cm would be nice. My old Sims CON 166 was 21cm.

Either that or l stick with the 4WD. l am a little worried about bending a metal board in the moguls, anyway.

l understand your feelings regarding riding hard boots and a carve specific board in powder. However, l spent the winter in Val d'lsere in 1994-1995 and it was the best powder season the resort had seen in 37 years. l rode my Sims CON 27/21/26 everywhere and all the time and it didn't let me down. l have no experience riding powder boards or freeride boards anyway so l guess ignorance is bliss (^_-)

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 1 November 2010, 8:12

I had few WCR's with 23cm width and they were geat combo between slope and pow. I liked tem much more than 4WD due they were superior on slopes but they worked well also when surface got softer and bumbier.

Zanci
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Zanci » Monday 1 November 2010, 11:46

priors are great!
Probably one of the easiest boards to ride.
:)

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flywalker » Monday 1 November 2010, 14:17

Thank you for your input!

Pokkis... those 23cm WCRM's.. do you know if they were standard in every other way other than width? Stiffness, rocker shape etc was all still normal?

l am asking because someone recommended that l buy a custom WCRM... wider, softer and more rockered and it will be THE ultimate board. l would also have to sell a kidney to pay for such a huge amount of customization. Just wondering if wider would be enough.

lf l wanted to use this board everywhere would 163 or 169 be preferable? l am about 76-78kgs without gear on.

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Hello again!

Post by Flywalker » Monday 1 November 2010, 14:42

fivat wrote:Yes, most UPZ are stiff (like most hard boots actually) and need some tuning, except if your preference is mainly racing (well, now some racers are finally going to softer boots). I'm curious to hear if the 2010-2011 models are softer.
Hello Mr. Fivat,

According to the North American distributor of UPZ there are no changes to the flex of the RC10 from last year.

Could you please tell me what sort of tuning is necessary to make the RC10's EC compatible? Softer tongues are an option but l do not know of softer springs. l will be using these boots to ride everywhere and in all terrain including learning the EC technique. l will reconsider buying the T700's with BTS if extensive work is needed on the RC10's.

TD3 Sidewinders have been ordered (^_^)

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Monday 1 November 2010, 15:02

joemzl wrote:Till now I don´t know any guy who don´t like his RC10 he bought. (Maybe someone wants to tell me?)
ok, ok - there are some things I just read about.
Track700 with BTS have a better flex than the RC10.
And RC10 in Walk-Modus are too soft.
While flexing, the second and the third buckle (looking from above) are often colliding.

So as Patrice said - they need some tuning.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 1 November 2010, 16:26

Boards i had, they were 177 and 183, so i have no experience of those very short ones. And i'm 80kg :wink:

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Monday 1 November 2010, 16:40

If you're looking for EC-oriented boots, I recon you might be better off with 325.

- It's hinge mechanism is similar to Northwave .900 boots.
- It's the only one of the two boots (other being 225) in the market where the upper shell can fully extend along the hinge axle without any kind of modification.
- It's less expensive and a bit softer

Currently I'm modifying 225 so that I can sit upright on the front foot. The yellow BTS heel (short) spring is proving too much resistance so I'm going to use weaker spring... On rear foot I've further softened the flex by thinning the tongue and cutting the lower shell part above the heel... The resultant flex was a bit too soft so I'll probably settle with blue toe (long) spring...

I recon if you buy 325 you only need to modify just a bit on front foot to ensure that you can stand upright. But I've done EC with 700+BTS and it's certainly doable.
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 1 November 2010, 18:30

Here is my updated BTS :wink:
Almost half length lower spring and almost double lenght soft upper one.
Boot is so much up as it mechanically can go, very comfy :lol:
With small mod for bvoot it could go even more up but i dont need it.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Monday 1 November 2010, 20:17

Flywalker wrote:Could you please tell me what sort of tuning is necessary to make the RC10's EC compatible? Softer tongues are an option but l do not know of softer springs.
I can't give any serious answer for now. Maybe other people can help you on this model.
On the Northwaves, we essentially change the springs (the picture published here in 2002 is at the origin of many threads and a trend to modified boots as well as commercial RAB/BTS systems).
About the HEAD boots, look at the big thread here (in French sorry, but there are many pictures).

:arrow: You can find many threads in English in the section "TUNING" of the FAQ.
leeho730 wrote:If you're looking for EC-oriented boots, I recon you might be better off with 325.

- It's hinge mechanism is similar to Northwave .900 boots.
- It's the only one of the two boots (other being 225) in the market where the upper shell can fully extend along the hinge axle without any kind of modification.
- It's less expensive and a bit softer
Good points! Note however that some people have the heels moving inside the Deeluxe boots.

Patrice Fivat

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 1 November 2010, 20:36

fivat wrote:Good points! Note however that some people have the heels moving inside the Deeluxe boots.
That`s true. But some people believe that it`s issue of technical ability of the rider to manage heel movements.

I fixed my heel movements by proper bootfitting :-) Get 290MP foot into 270MP boot :-))))

UPZ and Northwaves have way better shell design that keeps heel where it should be.
i`m learning

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flywalker » Tuesday 2 November 2010, 4:48

Very interesting information and much appreciated!

Would anyone recommend AVOIDING UPZ RC10's if EC riding was what l wanted to do? Are there people out there doing EC in UPZ's?

l was thinking that if the soft tongue option was installed and the spring tension at it's lowest setting... along with TD3 Sidewinders... l should have quite a lot of movement.

Is this a bad idea?

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flywalker » Wednesday 3 November 2010, 6:59

Just bought Sidewinders and RC10's.

Now.... Prior FLC or WCRM..... 163 22cm waist or 169 21cm waist.... hmmmmm....

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Wednesday 3 November 2010, 9:19

RC10 should be easily tunable because the base looks good. Maybe in the next future I will have a look on RC10 to check how we can improve this boots for EC ...
Stay tuned :wink:
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M