16 years since l bought gear.... looking for advice....

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

16 years since l bought gear.... looking for advice....

Post by Flywalker » Tuesday 5 October 2010, 1:26

Hi!

Well, l will give you a brief background story...

My last purchase was a set of Burton Race plates with a 3 degree circular heel lift/cant, Burton Reactor boots and a Sims CON 166cm carving snowboard(nose 27cm/waist 21cm/tail 26cm... medium stiff). l rode that thing everywhere.... steeps, bumps, pow hard pack, whatever was in front of me. l'd say l reached a level of carving proficiency that was fairly high. Reading through this website and information my overall technique was definitely moving in the EC direction. l learned how to ride in France and at the time l started...1988.... guys like Serge Vitelli and Jean Nerva were huge names in the sport.

So... back to gear. l stopped riding in 2006 for a couple of reasons. First one was because l had started practicing yoga a few years earlier and was shocked to find how twisted was body had become from 18 years of hard booting. Then, on my first run in 2006, the toe clip on my Burton binding shattered. l was left with two choices... going home or renting a pair of the new "shaped skis". Since l had skied since 1974 and had never tried the new skis, l thought, "what the hell" and tried them out. l haven't been on a snowboard since. TOO easy, lots of fun AND symmetrical.

5 years later l am beginning to feel the itch to leave trenches again. l am totally lost when it comes to new gear so l have come here looking for help. Something that should be said is that l rode my Burton boots UNLOCKED almost all the time unless l was on hard packed snow. Otherwise l was unlocked and working with the free flexing of the Burton shell.

From the studying l have done so far, l am beginning to lean in the direction of the Prior 4WD board in a 164cm length. l live in Hokkaido, Japan now and the runs are not that long here, however the snow is fantastic! There are very very few icy days and plenty of bottomless "where's my scuba gear" powder. l like being in the trees and then laying down the ruts when l get closer to the bottom of the run... unless it's a hard packed day. Then it's trenches top to bottom!

Bindings..... reading here you guys are saying step-ins are not so popular if EC riding is what you want to do. Based on my previous set up perhaps flex is more appealing than rigid step-ins...? So l am looking at the F2 or maybe Ibex bindings. The new Bomber TD3 Sidewinder looks interesting too.

Boots.... hmmm. Possibly the Deeluxe 325 or 700 with the BTS system. l had the first prototype SB 325 boots back in 1994 and although the flex was OK l wasn't a huge fan of the locking mechanism at the back. l found the "float" mode locked me too far forward on the back leg and was no help at all for my front. l can't try anything on here so will be really taking some chances. l like a stiff boot but don't know what would compare to my old Burtons. Maybe l should rephrase that... l like a stiff boot but with lots of forward flex. This could be from my skiing days. My very first snowboard boots were my old orange Langes! Mind you they had no flex at all.. just my shin bone bending over the top of the cuff.

l will be going back home to western Canada for the Christmas holidays and hope to have all my gear sourced, paid for and shipped by the time l get there. lf you could point me in the right direction for what l should be looking at l would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Some stats...

42 yrs old athletic
170 lbs.
5'10"
Previous binding angles 49B/57F(Burton Race)
27 mondo point boot(Burton Reactor)
Sims CON 166cm carving board(27/21/26)

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

?

Post by Flywalker » Wednesday 6 October 2010, 15:40

83 views and no comments....

Am l asking the wrong questions or have l come to the wrong place?

Zanci
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Zanci » Wednesday 6 October 2010, 16:10

go with a t700, wait for stepin sidewinders and maybe order a coiler if youre from canada

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flywalker » Wednesday 6 October 2010, 16:54

Hi Zanci,

Thanks for your post. Do you know if the t700 is as stiff as a Burton Reactor? The coilers look great but there's a year waiting list and that would mean no carving this year. l am really trying to sort it out for this coming season. ls the Prior 4WD not a good option? ls there another binding you could suggest if the TD3 step-ins are unavailable?

Zanci
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Zanci » Wednesday 6 October 2010, 16:58

Well, I own TD3 step- ins and are great.
You can also get the F2's titanium, but I prefer the TD's.
Haven't tried burtons, but the t700 is medium stiff ( i ride it with bts so they're softer). Go with prior FLC or WCRM, probably the easiest board I ever rode.

Z

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Wednesday 6 October 2010, 17:56

Sorry Zanci, but I can´t follow you.

The Track700 are the stiffest boots from DeeLuxe, you can get.
I would not recommend them for a guy who loved free flexing boots!!
Even the Track 325 may be too stiff.
I would go for the softer line with additional BTS.
Possible is SB224, SB324, SB423, AF600, Suzuka, maybe Le Mans.

Bindings: F2 Race Titanium (older model with thinner bail)
Ibex, or Burton Race
TD3 Sidewinder (most recommended - if you have enough money)

Why Intec?? He said, he is athletic. Intecs are not recommended for EC.
Only for older guys who normally go with a walking stick. :tongue:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Wednesday 6 October 2010, 19:29

I would take intecs for more narrow and stiff boards, because with steep angles you need a more direct sideways response instead of flexibility, like Hot Blasts. Wider boards (> 20cm waist) I think suffer from it because you want to have some flexibility when making turns with more relaxed angles. Also intecs tend to break boards more often because they don't flex at all, so you shouldn't use them on softer expensive boards like Swoard or Kessler.

F2 Race Titanium, or TD3 Sidewinders if you have the money for them. I think Ibex would probably be good to, but I don't know them that well.

If you liked the Burtons, maybe Head Stratos is worth investigating. It's a really stiff boot but you need to severely modify them before they have a good forward flex. With Deeluxe you basically only need to install a BTS. Deeluxe basically offers two different models, the T700 shell and the T325 and T225 shell. The fit is different, the T700 is the best shell overall I think but many feel the older 325 shell is more comfortable.
Flywalker wrote:83 views and no comments....

Am l asking the wrong questions or have l come to the wrong place?
Hey...we have to WORK during daytime to pay for this sport ;)
Fridgecarver

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Wednesday 6 October 2010, 19:35

700 is stiff side boot as standard, but with BTS and soft springs it is very nicely bending boot. But without BTS i would not take it.
Bindings, yes i'm stick aged rider, and i've been on both but for comfy and safety i stay with Intec's. Im using them on all my customs (Tinklers and Coilers) from 16 cm wide to 23cm wide without any problems. Key is to have good boots, and some technic combined with old stiff legs :wink:

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Nice one!

Post by Flywalker » Thursday 7 October 2010, 7:09

Thanks guys!

OK... l see the Burtons must be considered a stiff boot and the bindings, including Ibex, are quite flexible. l have found a couple of pairs of Burton Reactors for sale in my size that are in good shape. l may as well stay with something that works for me, especially if l can put the savings towards a board.

Are Burton/Ibex bindings considered strong AND flexible(and safe) or should l look at F2? Are F2 stiffer than TD3 Sidewinders? lf l am running a stiff boot a flexy binding is a better choice, right?

Here's another question.... 4WD in a 164 or 169? l am looking for a board that will ROCK in powder and also lay down big fat carves on hard pack. lt needs to be nimble enough to get through the trees, though, too. Would consider a different board if there's something better than the 4WD for my purposes.

Thanks a lot for your input everyone. lt's been a long hiatus and l am keen to get back in. My wife wants to try as well so l am looking for used size 24 hard boots and a good all mountain carving board for someone who weighs around 50kgs, is 5'1" with ski race experience and a fierce competitor (^_^) lf anyone has gear to sell please let me know!

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Thursday 7 October 2010, 22:22

Why take chance ?
F2 Titanium , not the best but the most used everywere , easy to find new and use , easy to find spare parts .
Ibex/ Burton are fantastic bindings and you can find them for 50/70 euro .
For the board , why talk about Prior when you can have a Swoard ?
www.carvers.it

Flywalker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hello again!

Post by Flywalker » Sunday 31 October 2010, 4:31

Does anyone have any comments re: UPZ RC10 boots? l am quite interested in them. My old boots were Burton Reactors.

Bindings will probably be TD3 Sidewinders... however l have read that for EC riding they are a little tall...?

lf l move away from a Prior 4WD and go more carve oriented, like a Prior FLC or WCRM, can l still ride this board all mountain? l live in Sapporo, Japan and we received shocking amounts of powder. l love carving... but trees, steeps, bumps and everything in between is fun, too! l am a little worried about bending a metal board, though.

l appreciate that this is a Swoard site but as a CASI ll instructor l can get a big discount on Prior and shipping is very cheap. l am going home to Calgary for Christmas.

Thank you for your guidance (^_^)

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Sunday 31 October 2010, 10:20

Arnaud seems to love UPZ and apparently a lot of Italians ride them too, but I don't know what model is good and what if any modifications you would need. When I saw them sold in shops in Soelden they seemed to be really stiff and the forward flex appeared to be as bad as Deeluxe with RAB, so I didn't even bother to try them on at the time. Since a lot of people seem to like them, I might be wrong but I would really investigate before buying them.

I think if I wouldn't have some budget constraints I would already have bought TD3SW's. American steel plus controlled sideways flex really seems to be a winning combination.
Fridgecarver

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Sunday 31 October 2010, 12:03

Hi T.R.
have you seen the older UPZ in Sölden, which are really stiff, or the RC10?
The RC10 is way softer and this years model still more.
Burton Reactors are on the stiffer side, so I think that choice should be ok,
if Flywalker wants a comparable boot.
(But of course you can´t compare the price. :P )
Till now I don´t know any guy who don´t like his RC10 he bought. (Maybe someone wants to tell me?)

Sidewinders ..... yes :dogeyes:

A carving board in powder - yes of course it´s possible. It´s like using a racing cycle in rough terrain.
- And some like it. :alien:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Hello again!

Post by fivat » Sunday 31 October 2010, 12:14

Yes, most UPZ are stiff (like most hard boots actually) and need some tuning, except if your preference is mainly racing (well, now some racers are finally going to softer boots). I'm curious to hear if the 2010-2011 models are softer.
Flywalker wrote:Bindings will probably be TD3 Sidewinders... however l have read that for EC riding they are a little tall...?
Yes, Jacques and I prefer "low" bindings for many years. We could make a TD3 review this winter if we get time for intense tests, as we did for TD2 (old review here).

Patrice Fivat

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Sunday 31 October 2010, 12:21

:-) so many wise people in one place is certainly sort of disaster :-) :?:
i`m learning