La Plagne. Instructor's and riding buddies

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Willow 15
Rank 4
Rank 4

La Plagne. Instructor's and riding buddies

Post by Willow 15 » Sunday 26 September 2010, 21:45

I am off to La Plagne at the end of January for a week and again for another week from the 19th of Feb. Does anyone know of any good hardboot instructors in La Plagne or even Les Arcs. I have been riding for 25 years but I fancy some lesson's to see if I have picked up any bad habits(highly possible). Also is there anyone there, or going at those times that fancies leaving some fine lines with me. :D
PJ7

The Blitz
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Blitz » Monday 27 September 2010, 16:21

End of January = ECS @ Zinal
But U can find the best areas here 8)
http://carvingspot.free.fr/la-plagne/la ... pistes.htm
 - 168XH Pro - Custom Dual 168H - Swallow Undertakeur 185

-- Tignes 19 au 25 mars --

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Thursday 7 October 2010, 22:25

I've been in La Plagne , a huge resort but quite crowded , and sometimes not well groomed , beware of the skimaps because often you get very narrow and flat runs.
www.carvers.it

ICERIPPER
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ICERIPPER » Friday 8 October 2010, 19:24

jax wrote:I've been in La Plagne , a huge resort but quite crowded , and sometimes not well groomed , beware of the skimaps because often you get very narrow and flat runs.
La Plagne in France is the area where you can watch what meens to have a board with a very good wax on the sole.

Not bad but a little too flat on some slopes for snowboarder.

Very good off piste but ............
Sticks are for looser , born to be a snowboarder

EDI-BRU
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: La Plagne. Instructor's and riding buddies

Post by EDI-BRU » Saturday 13 November 2010, 13:42

I'll be in Les Arcs/La Plagne from 29 Jan until 5 Feb. Having been here before I must admit that the area is not as carver-friendly as Zinal, but there's definitely some good fun to be had. It would be suicidal to go there during any of the busier periods, but end of January should be fine, as this is outside the french shool holiday period. Drop me a line if you'd like to meet up and carve some lines together.

As for finding an instructor, I'm afraid I've got only bad news: I contacted every snowboarding school in the whole Paradiski area in 2009 and found only one instructor prepared to teach on plate bindings. Unfortunately he was still teaching the old french non-rotational style and I didn't learn that much. In fact half an hour into the lesson I got confused, fell, broke my wrist and found myself that same night on an operating table in Bourg-Saint-Maurice hospital. Very cute nurses, though... :)

kieran
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kieran » Sunday 14 November 2010, 10:37

ohoho! sneakily trying to top up your skills before cutting up cairngorm and nevis with me, are you? ;)

EDI-BRU
Rank 2
Rank 2

Caledonian Carving

Post by EDI-BRU » Sunday 14 November 2010, 12:07

Blimey! A proper Caledonian Carver! Seriously, is it possible to carve in Scotland without seriously damaging the edges of your board? :)

philwi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by philwi » Sunday 14 November 2010, 12:59

No it's not. You just need lots of boards.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Sunday 14 November 2010, 13:58

kieran wrote:ohoho! sneakily trying to top up your skills before cutting up cairngorm and nevis with me, are you? ;)
I can`t translate this :-)))))
i`m learning

kieran
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Caledonian Carving

Post by kieran » Sunday 14 November 2010, 13:59

EDI-BRU wrote:Blimey! A proper Caledonian Carver! Seriously, is it possible to carve in Scotland without seriously damaging the edges of your board? :)
if i'd had the stuff when the goose was 40 bazillion miles wide earlier this year, maybe.

Willow 15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Willow 15 » Sunday 14 November 2010, 20:57

EDI-BRU wrote:Drop me a line if you'd like to meet up and carve some lines together.
I will pm you nearer the time with contact details. Looking forward to leaving some fine lines. What gear your riding?
kieran wrote:ohoho! sneakily trying to top up your skills before cutting up cairngorm and nevis with me, are you? ;)
If the season carries on the way its started I'll be up there before then. I am dying to check out all of your new toys. Have you been on the hill yet?
PJ7

kieran
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kieran » Sunday 14 November 2010, 21:46

Willow 15 wrote:
If the season carries on the way its started I'll be up there before then. I am dying to check out all of your new toys. Have you been on the hill yet?
not quite yet. i did seriously consider going up this morning, but it'd have been a softboots day, and i couldn't be arsed with that. it isn't very wide up there at the moment, but it's filling in quite nicely indeed.

regarding the toys, you should dig out some old dinosaur glass board, and we'll plonk the plate on it. i'm not fully certain i'll use it regularly, but for those days when the lady and goose are just sheets of ice, even i with my novice skills will rule.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 15 November 2010, 12:23

kieran :-) can you please tell me what "cairngorm" means? :-) Google translator tells absolute bullshit :-) and even british guy working with me can`t help :-)
i`m learning

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 15 November 2010, 12:50

Willow 15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Scottish Skiing

Post by Willow 15 » Monday 15 November 2010, 13:01

Pokkis is quite right. Cairngorm is one of 5 small ski centres in Scotland. None of them are big or can compare to the Alps but they are fun and have lifts. I have learned (from Keiran) that one of the runs at Cairngorm called The White Lady which has been to steep to piste is getting pisted this season, as they have invested in the piste bashers that can be cable anchored. This will make it fantastic for Extremecarving.

Follow this link for more info.

http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/
PJ7