How do I get out of the sitting position???

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

How do I get out of the sitting position???

Post by Mphdemon » Monday 1 March 2004, 18:14

I have been snowboarding for a couple of years now, and I'm pretty good. I have mastered my toe-side EC carve, but, on my heel I always go into a sitting position. I have tried to just straighten my body some to allow myself to lie flat on the snow, but when I do then I always loose my edge and fall. I ride a 168 Burton Ultra Prime, do I need a longer board to successfully make a heel-side EC carve? Or is there something that I can do with my position over the board that would allow me to lie flat on the snow? Or is this just one of those things that I have to figure out for myself? Anybody know what I'm doing wrong???
Chris

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueDevil » Tuesday 2 March 2004, 7:36

I think you have that classical back-side-problem that everyone has sooner or later. It's harder to turn on the back side (and carve, of course). What I'd guess you do is, you heep your legs too straight, and reaching to the snow with your body. When you reach like that, you have to "break" in the hips line to keep the balance - otherwise you're skidding immidiately. Up to the certain point you can pull it off like that - bended in hips and still carving a turn. But when you try to do it harder, to make narrow(er) turn (carve), you have to skid or hit the ground.
IMHO, you gotta go down in your knees (get lower), and DON'T bend over in the hips-line. I had that same problem, and still today it happens every now and then. I just have to concentratre to go lower and not to bend the hisp, and everything else gets to it's on place by iteslf.

Hope it helps!

Jack Michaud
Rank 3
Rank 3

Easy, don't sit!

Post by Jack Michaud » Wednesday 3 March 2004, 15:22

A common problem a lot of people have at first is that they think they need to get low by bending their knees. Not true. We need to bend our knees on heelside only enough to absorb shock and bumps. We don't need to bend our knees to get low. Lean in first, bend knees second. You're probably sitting down into your heelside turn before you lean and tilt the board up on edge.
Jack

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mphdemon » Friday 5 March 2004, 4:42

Alright, I'll give that stuff a shot. hopefully a video of mine will be on the forum soon so you guys can give me some more good advice. Thanks guys.
Chris

skategoat
Rank 1
Rank 1

If I may

Post by skategoat » Saturday 6 March 2004, 15:55

I feel quite unqualified to comment since I'm still learning but I think I licked the toilet seat problem (ugh!) with a simple knee-bed/hip rotation. When I get into the heel side, I bend my knees and rotate my hips. This keeps my butt over the board edge. Before, I would try to rotate my hips without the knee bend. It's literally impossible to do and led to all kinds of form problems.

Try it on the living room carpet. Try to rotate the hips without bending the knees - can't do it. Now bend at the knees, driving your back knee toward the front of the imaginary board. Notice that your hips rotate naturally and your butt stays inboard.