Fun Session on my SL board

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Fun Session on my SL board

Post by WinterGold » Wednesday 26 May 2010, 21:46

Here is a little clip of me from this Monday (24th May 2010) on the Kitzsteinhorn. There were very nice conditions :wink: ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jiiSts24U8

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Wednesday 26 May 2010, 22:16

Apparently you had a great time - fakie, one legged, laid back, jumping :wink: COOL 8)

Your video made me missing snowboarding.... especially because in the last 4 weeks we had such a shitty weather that I could not go waterskiing... :cry:

luca85
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by luca85 » Wednesday 26 May 2010, 22:17

Cool, I like a lot how you can control your board even in fakie and with some triks.

I didn't know this resort. I read from its site that it's open all year round (expect 2 weeks in June for service). But from the maps it seems extremely low. I don't know any other glacier in the alps that still has ice at so low altitudes. Usually you have to go higher than 3'200 at least to be able to ski in summer these days.
Any experiences?

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Thursday 27 May 2010, 8:35

Kaprun / Kitzsteinhorn is a nice place, but there are only t-bars up on the glacier. The other small thing that could be easily corrected is that there is no bar around those t-bars.... you either have to go to the top with the panorama lift or you have to go one station down. One more thing that annoyed me the last time I was there: in the middle section you have to take a chair-lift. If it is windy, they shut it down. So you are stuck at a point where you can see the top slopes with the t-bars (that are obviously resistant to wind) but you cannot get up there....

The slope on the most left (if you look upwards) is steep enough for some EC turns.

Kindest

luca85
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by luca85 » Thursday 27 May 2010, 9:54

István wrote:Kaprun / Kitzsteinhorn is a nice place, but there are only t-bars up on the glacier.
On glaciers you can build only t-bars. That's because the pillars are put directly on the ice, not on rock or something "solid". This imposes great limits on the maximum force that the lift can discharge to the ground so: little lifts only.
Think also that the ice moves (a lot! at least 5 meters a year in a normal glacier) so all the pillars have to be adjusted continously with some controls to have the rope going straight. On top of that once a year or tipically twice al the pillars have to be moved to their original position with an escavator.
Someone built chairlifts and also gondolas on glaciers but...
first I think that this is an ecological crime
second only some pillars are positioned on ice, the others are on the rocks. Also the top and bottom station MUST insist on the rocks. So it's not an easy job.
For the bars it's the same, you can't build anything on ice, you have to go somewhere else. (higher, where the rocks emerge, or lower where there isn't ice)

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Thursday 27 May 2010, 10:11

Luca, I agree. On pure ice the only solution is t-bars. But do you want me to start listing here other glaciers where they have chairlifts and cabins? Sure, they are built on rocks and concrete, but still, the ski slope is a glacier.... Without actually checking the maps, just by the top of my head, I would say that 6 out of the 8 Austrian skiable galciers have chairlifts and cabins....

Cheers

luca85
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by luca85 » Thursday 27 May 2010, 21:36

I know a lot of places with giant lifts on glaciers. I have been there. That still does not mean it's a good idea.
The pillars you can see insisting on the glacier in Stubai or in Zermatt are quite ugly indeed.
On top of that you need to study the geology of the place. It's very rare to find a situation where you can find a place to put a top station on the rocks that still is near an usable part of the glacier (if you want to summer-ski, for winter ski it's easier).

Then there is the economic problem. A t-bar lift on a glacier can cost something like 500/1'000 thousand euros, depending on the lenght. For a "normal" detachable chairlift or a gondola you need at least 8 millions euros. With some pillars insisting on ice you need 10 millions without any problem.
That's not something everyone can afford.

Anyway I prefer tbars.
This summer I'm going to a place in Italy where you have only a t-bar lift and to get there the only way is 3 hours of walking with the board on your shoulders.
I'm not into those fancy places.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 28 May 2010, 14:12

Istvan, i think you made a lifts to Barthelemy :-)
Does Kaprun / Kitzsteinhorn glacier have longer and more complicated t-bar lifts? :-) I never was there :-)
i`m learning

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Friday 28 May 2010, 22:33

I have no issues with t-bars, especially because I tend to sit on it in different positions (between the legs, from left, from right, just sitting on it, etc) so that my thighs don't hurt after a day of riding.

It's just that Luca asked what the resort was like and I made this comment as apparently many snowboarders don't like t-bars.

Man, I think I traveled quite a lot on the t-bar of Barthelemy in the last 5-6 years.... and it is so damn slow upwards and only minute or so coming down on the steep part :-(

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 28 May 2010, 22:47

I
that is best part of B
to get there fast 6-chair lift would reasly kiil that place/slope due then there would be no space for carving any more. I've seen than hapening in some other slopes, unfortunately :?

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Sunday 30 May 2010, 14:59

Well, Austrians Glaciers are realy good for to do some runs to get experience. Even in Autumn many exercises on a snowboard can be repeated there on that easy-run slopes. Exercises, like they are shown on this video of course too.

But I'm not in common with the skill of the one-eighty's on that runs on the video. On this way it's hard to turn e.g. on jumps, more then 270° or to reach a three-sixty. Unfortunatly You can see such movements from the most freestylers on slopes too.

The funny, but short ride with full layed back, is very rare to see/discused on forums/videos. This way it's also possible to carve. The board is leading You and the body swing/follow behind it (to wear an "overall" ski-, or snowboard-suit, e.g. Burton Ronin One Piece is recommended). Even on narrow boards at steep feet angles it's easy to do it. I guess this style of ride couldn't seen anymore, because customers of narrow shaped boards, like e.g. Virus carver boards, comes more and more out of their Youth and loose with ageing the fitness and agility for to do such a type of ride. Beside that, Youth alpine boarders, haven't enough money to buy such boards. So there will remain only some volks which is able to present themself on slopes of well known resorts with such narrow boards.

-

Resort Kaprun? There was 9-11, but there was also 11-11 (November 11. 2000) - The day of the worst of any happend disaster ever on the world for skiers and snowboarders.

So anyone on the world should know what for Kitzsteinhorn/Kaprun stands.
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/nov20 ... -n16.shtml
Well, read accurate 3. last paragraph on bottom of article and of course the last paragraph!

- - - -

Dies habe ich doch immer schon gesagt. Die Gletscher Österreichs sind hervorragend für Übungsläufe geeignet. Vor allem im Herbst, bieten sich diese Pisten für die Schulung/Repetition der Bewegungsabläufe, wie z.B. hier im Video sehr schön gezeigt wird, geradezu an.

Wobei ich den darin gefahrenen one-eighty's nicht viel abgewinnen kann. Diese Ausführungart wird leider immer noch vom Gross aller Snowboarder so ausgeführt, welche damit bei Sprüngen auch kaum über die 270°, und maximal bis zum three-sixty hin kommen, aber eben nicht weiter rum.

Immerhin kann man hier auch mal eine Fahrform sehen, welche bislang selten bis gar nicht in Foren gezeigt oder erwähnt wurde. Das Fahren/Carven mit einem auf dem Schnee abgelegten Rücken. Diese Fahrform gelingt besonders leicht mit sehr schmalen Boards/ steilen Bindungswinkeln (wie z.B. einem Virus Carvingboard), unterhalb der von ISF zugelassenen Boardbreiten von 17 cm. Nun es macht ja auch wirklich Spass, mit dem voreilenden Board zu carven und den Rest des Körpers im Schnee nachziehen zu lassen. (Dazu ist es empfehlenswert ein Snowboard-Overall zu tragen, die gibt es mitunter schon von vielen Herstellern und sind auch bereits verbreitet im Schlussverkauf auffindbar.)
Wobei mir irgendwie schon auch klar ist, warum man dies so selten sieht, oder davon nie liest. Die von Herstellen von schmalen Boards (z.B. Virus Snowboards) anvisierte Klientel, tendiert heut zu Tage eher zur Zunahme des Körperumfangs und natürlich einhergehend der Preisgestalltung zwingend auch der Brieftasche, aber leider eben zur Abnahme für die Fahrform erforderlichen Fitness, Beweglichkeit und Bauchmuskulatur (die geraden und die schrägen Bauchmuskeln). Immerhin reicht ja glücklicherweise das Vorhandene noch gut aus, um sich an bekannten Adressen im Schnee zu präsentieren.

-

Kitzsteinhorn/Kaprun? Alle haben noch 9/11 im Kopf, aber da gab es doch auch noch den 11.11.2000. Der Tag der weltweit grössten Katastrophe im Wintersportbereich, als die Stollenbahn in Kaprun abfackelte. Somit müsste jedem wieder in Erinnerung sein, wo und wofür Kaprun steht.

Vorbehalt/Anmerkung:
Der vorliegende Text bezweckt keine polemische Darstellung oder irgenwelche Beschuldigungen. Die Ausdrucksweise ist in der Schweiz üblich, muss aber nicht zwingend mit anderen Deutschsprachigen Kulturkreisen konform sein. Der Schweiz war es seit mehreren Jahrhunderten möglich, über viele Kulturkreise hinweg (vier Landessprachen), mit der Freiheit der Ausdrucksweise konfliktfrei zu bestehen.
Gliding on Snowboards,
like Pogo, Kessler, Virus, Hot, Nidecker and others,
from 151 up to 183 cm and 14 to 27.4 cm width,
covering any kind of shapes with
any kind of boots and bindings.

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Sunday 5 September 2010, 14:36

István and luca85 - thank you very much for your kind words :D

Schneewurm - I don´t thank you for your not so kind words :evil: