The Daily stories of snowboarding

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Tuesday 27 April 2010, 9:54

Carvers they like to join many of these events for alpine carving boarders during wintertime did it know. Out of the African based dance ritual, there You can find the Limbo-Carvings (e.g. at WCS Silvretta-Montafon). I don't know how good You can reflect Your circle of live out of to do it on a snowboard. But this ritual seems to be taken with pleasure by some good-man. Anyone who keeps body thight for to undercross 34 cm during perhaps 1.5 m, earn some good emotions and applause by peoples around. If no more undercrossing is possible, peoples around are disappointed also.

Only 34 cm of width/high for one person? Indeed thats not a lot. But You can go to much less then this.

Why shouldn't the 33 cm of one side from a T-Bar be to short for that "less". Well, T-Bars of skilifts are designed for 2 persons only, but some cool snowboarding girls knows even what can be done with only 33 cm. Why shouldn't they take a T-Bar by three?
And beside that, they ride up on a realy relaxed way, so all three can make wave to me at once. Making wave was at the steepest point of lift, at 35-40 degrees - no falling out of T-bar (except nearly me)!

As we know it now: 33 cm are good, not only for one people - no, for 2 people at once! And not for a short distance of 1.5 m, but over a full length of 1500 meters. It seems the girls are realy able to do it for a 1000 x.

- - - -
Because the story happens in Switzerland, I try for Swiss peoples only to write it also in our language:

Die täglichen Geschichten vom Snowboarden

Wer nicht nur gerne, sondern auch gerne oft die zahlreichen Alpinboard Carving-Events besucht, konnte in den letzten Events nicht um das afrikanisch fundierte Tanz-Ritual des Limbo-Carvens herum kommen (z.B. bei der WCS Silvretta-Montafon). Wie weit sich da im Schnee mit seinem Carvingboard sein ganzer Lebenszyklus reflektieren lässt, entzieht sich meiner Kenntniss. Immerhin ist diese Ritualisierung vor allem bei einigen gesetzteren Herren offenbar sehr beliebt. Wer es schaft über eine Länge von vielleicht 1.5 m bis auf 34 cm runter sich schlank zu halten, kriegt von den Zuschauern im Chor ein bekennendes Aaahh. Andernseits verlässt ein mitleidiges und jammerend tönendes Oooooh deren Munde.

Nur 34 cm für eine Person? Gewiss das ist nicht viel. Doch da geht natürlich nicht nur mehr, sondern sogar sehr viel mehr!

Warum sollen z.B. die einen 33 cm Seitenlänge eines Bügels am Schlepplift nicht dazu ausreichen. Sicher der Bügel des Schlepplifts, ursprünglich als SIE-&-ER Lift bezeichent, sind nur für 2 Personen ausgelegt, doch versierte junge Snowboarderinen, wissen weitaus mehr daraus zu machen. Warum also nicht zu Dritt mit dem Snowboard da hoch fahren (siehe Bild). Selbstverständlich in einer sehr lockeren, erfrischenden Weise, so erfrischend und natürlich, dass mir die drei Girls allesamt dabei nett zuwinken konnten - und dies erst noch im steilsten Stück des Lifts, also bei etwa 35-40° Steilheit, ohne unsicher zu werden oder heraus zu fallen.

Wie wir nun sehen: 33 cm reichen doch völlig aus - nicht für eine Person, nein gleich für 2 Personen! Nicht nur für 1.5 m, nein gleich über 1500 m. Man mag es fast nicht wagen zu erwähnen, aber die jungen Damen können es ja sogar noch 1000 x länger!

Vorbehalt/Anmerkung:
Der vorliegende Text bezweckt keine polemische Darstellung oder irgenwelche Beschuldigungen. Die Ausdrucksweise ist in der Schweiz üblich, muss aber nicht zwingend mit anderen Deutschsprachigen Kulturkreisen konform sein. Der Schweiz war es seit mehreren Jahrhunderten möglich, über viele Kulturkreise hinweg (vier Landessprachen), mit der Freiheit der Ausdrucksweise konfliktfrei zu bestehen.
Attachments
3er-Bügellift-Snowboarderinnen.jpg
3er-Bügellift-Snowboarderinnen.jpg (63.4 KiB) Viewed 9662 times
Gliding on Snowboards,
like Pogo, Kessler, Virus, Hot, Nidecker and others,
from 151 up to 183 cm and 14 to 27.4 cm width,
covering any kind of shapes with
any kind of boots and bindings.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Tuesday 27 April 2010, 12:01

So what's the moral of the story?

version 1: Schneewurm found a solution to get rid of long queues at lifts. 3-4 people should take 1 T-bar, that would reduce waiting time by 50%.

version 2: There are some girls who can handle 33cm alone, while in most of the cases 33 cm is actually enough for 2....

version 3: All the girls would want to have 33cm on their own, exclusively, but some girls are compromisers and willing to take only the half of it.

version 4: Season is over and we try to fill the emptiness with off-topic stuff

version 5: ???

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 27 April 2010, 15:53

What is 33 cm? I do not think girls will like such a big thing...Just to look and touch :-) Not for internal consumption :-)

I think fifth version is that our dear Swiss friend spend some time in silent-no-internet-connection-availiable ski resort somwhere and just missed us :-) So now he compensates :-) Go on, Schneewurm, we are also missed you so much :-)
i`m learning

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Wednesday 28 April 2010, 11:00

Well if one goes to the glaciers early season, one will often have heated discussions between racers snatching a t-bar with 3-4 persons and liftboys who stop the lift because the 2-3 additional racers get on after 1/3 of the way if too many people queue up.

It actually happened to me once on Dachstein glacier, that the lift got stopped for over 1 hour, because the liftys couldn't get over that fact and decided to stop the lift once more than 2 people got on...
Swoard 3D - 168M
http://Openmtbmap.org - get the most popular maps for Mountainbiking in Europe...

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Thursday 6 May 2010, 14:03

Yes starikashka, "silent-no-internet-connection areas" can be peaceful and nice. So time to time I prefere to stand at less then 3 hours, for less then 30.- Swiss-Francs, on more then 300 cm of snow, at an altitude of 3000 m. Yes, leaving the dust of some narrow minded and decrying people, like e.g. one moderator on one special section here on the forum - back to reality. Watching big mountains 100 km ahead with an open mind, like You can see on picture 1 (Monte Rosa 4634 m / 2nd highest peak of the alps), turns back realty to a point, which is on a much more authentic and on higher level, then just on a flat and narrow snow-dome with artifical snow.
And for to switch between "somwheres ski resorts" we use to travel by the www.glacierexpress.ch (picture 2) - free of any pollution of CO², but rich of fairy-tale impressions only, all the way.

Felix, You should show to the "liftys" the picture with the 3 girls at this steeper section (Dachstein is realy flat, no?). At same lift, all the freestylers left the T-Bar on a similar steep section half the way for to axcess the park. No problems at all for anyone.
For to continue: And Yes, I had this winter also a discussion with a liftboy, because I took a T-Bar down-wards for a short distance on a flat area!

@István: Did You see on the picture! All 3 girls ride regular, so they can interchange.
Attachments
Glacier-Express.jpg
Glacier-Express.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 9382 times
Monte-Rosa.jpg
Monte-Rosa.jpg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 9382 times
Gliding on Snowboards,

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Thursday 6 May 2010, 16:35

Some days ago I found something extremely intersetuing on the worldwide web:
http://www.zeit.de/2009/11/Stinktier-Prinzip-11

Maybe U can smile while reading that like I did and still do...

skywalker
free extreme carving

Johann Knieschluss
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Johann Knieschluss » Thursday 6 May 2010, 22:22

skywalker wrote:Some days ago I found something extremely intersetuing on the worldwide web:
http://www.zeit.de/2009/11/Stinktier-Prinzip-11

Maybe U can smile while reading that like I did and still do...
Gaaaanz toller Artikel. Da kann man mal wieder sehr schoen sehen, was mit dem Geld gemacht wird, das fuer die "Klimaforschung" bereitgestellt wird...

Bedeutet dieser Satz

"Mit anderen Worten, der Psychotherapeut und der Klimaforscher kommen zu demselben Ergebnis: Man muss sich von Menschen verabschieden, die einem nicht guttun."

dass Du jetzt gehst? :lol:

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 6 May 2010, 22:39

Maailma on pieniä tekoja täynnä :wink:

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Friday 7 May 2010, 8:18

pokkis wrote:Maailma on pieniä tekoja täynnä :wink:
...this is exactly, what I was trying to say... :roll:

skywalker
free extreme carving

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 7 May 2010, 15:11

Schneewurm wrote: And for to switch between "somwheres ski resorts" we use to travel by the www.glacierexpress.ch (picture 2) - free of any pollution of CO², but rich of fairy-tale impressions only, all the way.
Do not fool yourself - the train is uses electricity that is produced by firing the gas..no CO²?...or by nuclear or hydro power stations that was constructed with welding? No CO²...Train itself and rails were produced from steel..Do you steel believe that travel across Switzerland became possible without any pollution of CO²?...Even you!! you are breathing and produce CO² :-) And some other gas !
i`m learning

Silber

Post by Silber » Friday 7 May 2010, 15:36

cows are one of the main reasons of gas pollution by the way...
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

pietrob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pietrob » Friday 7 May 2010, 16:59

Emi and Roosevelt too!
pietro

Kallo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kallo » Monday 31 May 2010, 10:42

Silber wrote:cows are one of the main reasons of gas pollution by the way...
that's the reason why I keep eating them with such a voracity ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The air carver

luca85
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by luca85 » Monday 31 May 2010, 12:46

starikashka wrote:Do not fool yourself - the train is uses electricity that is produced by firing the gas..no CO²?
Depends... In Italy for the electricity you would be right. We are 60% gas , 20% coal and oil, 10% hydroelectricity and the rest bought from abroad.
In switzerland the electricity is more or less 50% hydro and 50% nuclear. Almost CO2 free. (there is still co2 and pollutant in the building of the plant....but that's nothing compared to what you emit in the normal functioning of a gas power station)

Ps: that might seem wonderful but since they had so much oil-free electricity the swiss in the past developed an extremely inefficient heating system for most of the building, so the total CO2 emitted in Switzerland per person is high even if their electricity is CO2 free.

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Wednesday 2 June 2010, 12:10

Yess luca85,
CO²-emmission is still to high, but do You know MINERGIE® / MINERGIE® (IT)? Since 1994 they start with them and actual 13 % of all new buildings are certificated. Most other buildings have modern oil-firing system (younger then 10 Years) and excellent isolation. E.g. overall Cement industries of Switzerland (growing output of cement) reduced CO² by 51,5 % since 1990!
But indeed we have an CO²-emmission-problem! All the power we take for to reduce overall CO², is destroyed continous by a high rate of immigration (growing population). Well, Swiss people is not worldchampion on Soccer, like most of the countrys around Switzerland, but of course Swiss are worldchampion on traveling by train. Unfortunately most of immigrants keep more interessts to Soccer then to travel by train.
luca85, keep in focus upcomming Saturday. Just watch what funny things happens, if actual Soccer worldchampion Squadra Azzurra take a game with Switzerland.

Beside that, more and more people (the so called Spass-Gesellschaft) comes from far away to the mountains only for driving around for fun. E.g. at Pentecost the streets of the alps and around have been overfilled with motorbikes and sportcars (most from the North of Switzerland), just for making noise and pollution (and many, many crashes)! GPS helps them to find every street on the mountains and give them the right to ignore every prohibited street / traffic sign. Beside that crowds of motorbikes drive like crazy downwards, upwards and again downwards the same pass, they didn't take care of any law (#).

- - - -

Well starikashka,
the only firing oil power station producing CO² we had in Switzerland, was closed in 1999. You can see "Chavalon" at the right side up on the mountain, comming from Geneva Airport to Zinal.

... No CO² ... Train itself and rails were produced from steel ...
Yes, but steel can be also produced with electric power out of hydro-electric power stations. Watch e.g. first picture below. This skilift, where I was carving last winter, with the heavy constuction pillars on top because of the steepnes there (36° uphill), is still 8 km beside an oven for to produce steel with electric power (and of course pillars are out of this oven - they produced there also steel-tubes, so in this case no transportations across whole Switzerland). You know, poeple there don't like brown snow, out of pollution from ovens producing iron. So they closed in the Year 1845 an oven right about 3 km East of this liftarea and 1943 they switch the oven 8 km North of the skilift to electric power for to make iron.

The railway on picture from my last post, runs since 1941 with electric power 16.7 Hz. We have realy many hydro-electric power-stations in Switzerland which produce current for railways only.

So let me explain You, how this works: If I go carving on mountains, times to times I glide with my board on snow, e.g. the snow from my "privat-carving-slope" leftside on 2nd picture below. This snow melts then at springtime and exact this water from that snow is then collected for to produce with the help of turbines and generators some 16.7 Hz electricity (Well, of course they have also a small 50 Hz machine). So there is enough power for to drive trains bringing me again up to the mountains for to go carving. You see starikashka, nothing is inpossible!

Watch 3rd picture. I didn't know before I wrote this article, but the lake on picture is of an hydro-electric powerstation, which produced electricity for one of the biggest steel factory inboard. So the snow where I was powder-snowboarding, was melting in springtime (today is left about 200 cm snow at 2500 m), for be then collected on the lake. Then they produce with the help of turbines and generators some 50 Hz current for to melt iron on steel melting ovens. You see starikashka, there was steel production with less pollution of CO², but based on some more nice powdersprays from me, nothing is inpossible!

Nothing? Nearly Yes! So tell me, who like to drive/buy now-adays a sportscar with gasoline engines, like BMW, Porsche and so on? Thats realy out of fashion! Some weeks ago was a report on radio, about the public electric-repower-stations for cars in southern part of Switzerland. During recordings a man from Monaco just arrives with his electric vehicle direct from Monaco. He drove before a Lamborghini. He was very happy about his Lamborghini, a fast and good car. But then he want to buy a modern, up-to-the-time car and he bought a Tesla(made in Ticino/Switzerland). So he talked to the reporter the Lamborghini was realy fast, but about the Tesla he says: "le Tesla, c'est l'explosion" , even Tesla's 100% torque starts at 0.0 km/h on 4 wheels. And: no losing time/acceleration by gear shiftings at all!

(# Bundesgesetz über den Strassenverkehr:
- Art.42 Vermeidung von Belästigungen (Lärm, Staub, Geruch, Erschrecken von Tieren)
- Art.52 Sportliche Veranstalltungen (Bewilligungspflicht für Anderes als Ausflugsfahrten)
- Art.33 VRV zweckloses Herumfahren = Busse 100 Franken + Gebühr 80 Franken)
Attachments
Powderfield_down_to_lake.jpg
Powderfield_down_to_lake.jpg (24.17 KiB) Viewed 8902 times
Mono-Carving-Session-Piste.jpg
Mono-Carving-Session-Piste.jpg (56.06 KiB) Viewed 8902 times
Heavy-duty-skilift.jpg
Heavy-duty-skilift.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 8902 times
Gliding on Snowboards,