If you had to choose between two paradises...

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

You have been a nice person during your life, but not always (as a snowboarder you didn't respect the skiers, hehe). So after your death you can choose only between two paradises. What do you prefer? (no other choice possible)

A paradise with slopes which are groomed daily (by God himself). The snow is perfect for extremecarving (but off piste snow is bad). There are many chair-lifts for you only, but you may prefer teleportation.
59%
A paradise with fresh and deep powder every day for amazing freeriding. You can be teleported to the tops of the mountains as often as you want with your freeride snowboard.
41%

Total votes: 63

eaglefly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by eaglefly » Friday 30 April 2010, 21:22

:oops: sorry but I thought about it and I still can't make up my mind.
I want one heaven, not 2 paradises...that's it :twisted:
* * * "Carve diem, that's it " * * *

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Thursday 6 May 2010, 14:37

The choose between two paradises? Why not shouldn't both paradises be enjoied during Your life? Planet Earth is the great paradise!
  • A paradise with steep groomed slopes and a cable-car like a rising star? - see picture 1
  • A paradise with fresh and deep powder and a chair-lift for you only? - see picture 2
Teleportation must be a sad chance. The whole sacred aura of the mountains will be taken out this way.

- - - -

So let me ask You, who does it e.g. the weekend of 24./25.04.2010 ?
Both paradises could be choosed at Verbier ski area, the first one at affordable SFr. 35.- (Euro 24.-) on Saturday.
For the second one, watch here: www.pdg.ch (Patrouille des Glaciers / Zermatt-Verbier)
Unfortunatly this was at no teleported services, pure leg-ported self-service only!

The first one is very rare to find. No reports about it here on forum last Year and even not for this Year. I still wait for reports about this higher and much steeper slope then Zinal's. Mustn't it be like on heaven to take this slope after the end of www.xspeedski.net for to go carving? (One snowboarder went on his Oxess at 154 km/h straight downhill.) A carving-paradise-slope: steep, long, hard, no distortions at all - like a surface of a window - thight at start and ultra-wide on the end. So You can take a nice speed and make the super-widest carves ever of Your life, or You do Extremecarving the whole downhill.
Attachments
Powder-Paradise.jpg
Powder-Paradise.jpg (54.2 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
Carving-Paradise.jpg
Carving-Paradise.jpg (70.5 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
Gliding on Snowboards,
like Pogo, Kessler, Virus, Hot, Nidecker and others,
from 151 up to 183 cm and 14 to 27.4 cm width,
covering any kind of shapes with
any kind of boots and bindings.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Monday 17 May 2010, 16:08

You didn't read well the question of the poll. :rules:
God wrote:You have been a nice person during your life, but not always (as a snowboarder you didn't respect the skiers, hehe). So after your death you can choose only between two paradises.
Schneewurm, you were not always a good person :wink: , so your "punishment" is the dilemma. You can't get both paradises. :twisted:

Patrice Fivat

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Monday 17 May 2010, 16:16

rob wrote:When I look back on my years of riding it seems like many of the lasting snowboarding memories that pop into my head on a hot summer day, have been perfect powder days on terrain that feels like you are hitting the lip when surfing.
Yes, surfing is the essence of our sport. 8) That's why I love so much feeriding (as well as wakeboarding, kitesurfing, etc.). However fluidity and smoothness that one gets when freeriding in deep powder can be retrieved on a slope when extremecarving. At least it's my objective: retrieving the surfing spirit, focusing on gesture purity and communion with the elements.

I remember an alpine race to which I participated long time ago. During the night we got fresh snow. In the morning it was amazing to see that ALL the participants were riding off-piste instead of preparing and concentrating on the race. :D

The fresh and deep powder is more seldom than well groomed slopes. That's why many of us (43% of us along to the poll today) still prefer the powder, in my opinion.

If we could ride deep and untracked powder every day, would we get bored? ;-) We would dream about groomed slopes...

Patrice Fivat

luca85
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by luca85 » Wednesday 19 May 2010, 22:55

Transistor Rhythm wrote:Fresh snow can be groomed. Groomed snow cannot be freshed. So I was tempted to go for the second option
That's not completely true, snow needs some days to compact after a snowfall
The day after an heavy snowfall, even if the cats worked hard till the last minute before opening, the snow is not compact at all. Tried that a couple of times this year and the first descent is tricky because you push a lot like you're used on packed snow but the snow does not give the appropriate reaction and you fall, after marking the snow with your edges for an incredible height.
Then you adapt your style and you're ok.

For me I'll vote something in the middle, I'm not a powder guy but I do not like it when the groomers work too much and the slope seem to much "man made". Just a rough adjustment for me is ok. And I don't dislike mogouls.

Roelh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roelh » Thursday 5 August 2010, 13:26

I don't have the problem of choosing anymore... yesterday I killed e few skiers and a bunch of free style snowboarders at the indoor slope in The Netherlands. They build a funpark on the only 'normal' piste for carving.

I'm Dutch, so after paying the ticket I needed to get where I paid for. It was carving between rails, Big Air shit etc.. . so Hell for me.... Let's hope in Hell they have one hell of a EC-slope and lot's of powder now and then!
Just do it, enjoy!

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Thursday 5 August 2010, 13:59

So going to Zoetermeer will not improve matters for me? Then I will stick to the slow slope of Landgraaf....
Fridgecarver

Roelh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roelh » Thursday 5 August 2010, 15:45

next week the SweetlakeCity slope is clean again!
Just do it, enjoy!

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Saturday 25 September 2010, 20:17

Seeking paradise !

There is the way to stay tuned every day to several snowboarding forums on inter-net. To be seated in front of a display an post many small-talk things on these days can be the goal for many snowboarders.

As an authentic snowboarder I choose to go realy other ways. I heard things about paradise. A paradise which can be found as written-in letters Paradies on geographic maps, which continue then on the top with the Paradies Gletscher (Paradise Glacier).
Paradise Glacier is one of the very, very rare Glacier on the Alpes, which was advancing last 2 summers (2008 and 2009). Nearly all other Glaciers are on retreating the last Years. Keep in mind, we are now on a cycle where Glaciers should become longer and not shorter! But unfortunately change of world-climate is on progress.

So I whished to see in my life a Glacier which is advancing with my own eyes. Probable that would be the last time ever!

So why not traveling the long way on the last weeks of realy nice weather to that point of my interest? And for sure, no cablecar or tourist transportations are available for to enter paradise. Hiking countless hours on own feets is needed for that. Deep in the Swiss mountains between tight flanks, paradise was then presenting ahead to me, hidden behind that glacier on picture 1.

What could be mean near to paradise? I just found some example on the track up to paradise! Watch 2. picture. Left upper edge shows remaining snow at 1850 m. More than 2 meter of snow (there is a Swiss bank note on the top, for to show snowhigh). The remaining snowfield left bottom corner is aprox 6 to 8 meter thick and as big for to do some linked trenches. Keep in mind, we are now on autumn and this snowfield is located at low altitude, only at 1800 meters!

Wouldn't that be signs just for to announce paradise? For sure, but in Switzerland paradise is well protected too. I had to throughpass 3 rigorous checkpoints for to enter close of paradise. It seems paradise is realy well protected against intrusion of mass tourism (like e.g. hundreds of camping-cars and tourist-buses every days) - watch upper right corner of picture 2.

This way, hiking for hours, without meeting any other people, step for step tooks me closer to nature and paradise. Only marmots have greeting me every 50 meters on the trail. A trail, full of butterflys and big size frogs everywhere. (right side of picture 2).
And for sure, very close to paradise there was the so called Ursprung, the INITIAL point. I can proudly post here a picture of it. I didn't found any other picture about it on inter-net. The INITIAL, located at 2308 meters, is marked by a metal-plate, see right lower corner on 3. picture. No others man made things around this spot!

Well, You may ask now how it looks up there in paradise? I'm so sorry, no photo's available, camera tooks only all-white pictures (high over-exposing). It seems paradise could be seen only by own eyes!
Attachments
The_INITIAL.jpg
The_INITIAL.jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
on_footstepps_to_Paradise.jpg
on_footstepps_to_Paradise.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Paradise_ahead.jpg
Paradise_ahead.jpg (54.17 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Gliding on Snowboards,
like Pogo, Kessler, Virus, Hot, Nidecker and others,
from 151 up to 183 cm and 14 to 27.4 cm width,
covering any kind of shapes with
any kind of boots and bindings.

rrozz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: If you had to choose between two paradises...

Post by rrozz » Saturday 25 September 2010, 23:37

fivat wrote:This poll comes from a funny discussion I had this winter with some friends. :D

For some of us, the dilemma may be HELL! :evil:

Patrice Fivat
As the lift is yours, no one can ungroom your slope. It depends if u are patient enough to wait between every ridetimes.