"Euro" vs "EC"???

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

"Euro" vs "EC"???

Post by Mphdemon » Thursday 26 February 2004, 2:31

Is there a difference between Eurocaves and EC carves? I'm pretty new to the sport but I've been pushed and I've gotten really good really fast. Because of that I don't really know all of the information about the sport. I've been told that I Eurocarve now, and I think I know what that means. But I don't know if there is a difference between that and EC carves. I have watched the vids on this website and they look pretty similar but I think that I just don't really know the specifics. If they are different, then how can I go from Eurocarves to EC carves? I currently ride a Burton 168 ultra prime (laugh all you want, but it does the job :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: ), would I need a longer board? I'd like to get a Swoard eventually but I don't have the $$$ right now. Anybody want to fill me in on the details?
Chris

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueDevil » Friday 27 February 2004, 8:22

Hi there!
For what I've understand, the EuroCarve is what the Americans call the EC style. Because of Sergio Vitelli, if I recall well and his carving style, where it all begun.
IMHO, the EC and EuroCarving is the same thing.

xmen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xmen » Friday 27 February 2004, 10:21

hi,
EC is basically the extreme aspect of eurocarving... the fact is that if you watch the videos on ecsite you realize tha the piste is in perfect conditions, there is no one around the piste and the athletes are probably as fit as they can be. To sustain EC you need all of the above characteristics otherwise such discipline is not performable... on top of this the Vitelli turn (long time ago - mid80's) was the starting point of carving... performing every turn as a extreme vitelli turn (as well as following other techniques perfectly shown on the ECsite) will bring you eventually to ec... which in the end is an amazing discipline that everyone should try... eurocraving... or simply carving down the piste is again an awesome technique which in my experience not many boarders achieve easily (a part from the fact that soft is everywhere)... hence I would say that alpine snowboard is carving... euro carving and in the end extreme carving... the ultimate goal...
Xmen

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mphdemon » Friday 27 February 2004, 16:45

Thanks guys, I was hoping that was the case. All that means now is that I have another goal to reach. Hopefully by next year I'll be able to do it.
Chris

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Saturday 28 February 2004, 17:08

At the end of the 80's here in Europe, most riders were hardbooters. We could see in Snowboarding Transworld Magazine that it was the opposite in the USA : riders were all freestylers, there was no picture of any hardbooter (please correct me if I’m wrong…).
One of the coolest trick to manage at that time was the Vitelli turn which was a totaly frontside laid out turn (invented by the French rider Serge Vitelli on a HOT Revolution). You were sure to find a picture of him or Jean Nerva or Peter Bauer or some other top Euro rider laying down a turn in any snowboarding magazine ! :pray2:

For Patrice and me, this goal kept up until now and became « Extremecarving » when we could link frontsides and backside laid out turns.

In fact we invented this name at the end of 2001 when we had to find a name for our website and kind of « discipline ». We wanted to translate the «extreme» angulation of the body on the slope (and not an «extreme danger» as sometimes suggested).

In the middle of the 90’s a friend of mine told me that there was a rebirth of hardbooting in the USA and that they called the Vitelli turn a «Eurocarve» because it was the euro riders that did it at first.

So as far as I know a Eurocarve is a laid out turn and EC is linked laid out turns.

Jacques