longer boards?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Jack Michaud
Rank 3
Rank 3

longer boards?

Post by Jack Michaud » Tuesday 24 February 2004, 17:29

Question for the EC guys - have you tried any boards longer than your Swoard 175? I see the 175 has a 13-something meter radius. That sounds like a great design for a 175 (I am baffled by people putting 11m radius on a 179), but have you ever tried something like a 185 with a 15 or 16m radius? I'm riding a 186/15m board and I absolutely love it for laying out carves at high speed on steeps. I'm sure my board would rip on that great looking trail in Opus 3: Stoked.

I remember when I went from a 175 to my 186, I was stunned at how much more stable and chatter-free the 186 was. I was also surprised at how versitile it was, and that it would actually crank some pretty tight carves. However my 175 was an 11.5m radius, which I realize now is too short for that board.
-Jack
Jack

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 24 February 2004, 21:17

Hi Jack,

Years ago I wanted see how would ride a bord with a very big radius, So I made a 175 prototype with a 26m radius!!! The riding was awful. It was impossible to turn without skidding. Even riding strait with the board flat on the snow was very difficult, like riding a bicycle where couldn't turn the handlebars. We don't really notice it but our sidecuts make some auto-correction even when going strait down.

When I was developing the board that became the SWOARD you know, I made a 185 with a 14m radius. This board was great and very stable in big turns. It could also make quite easy short turns, but I found that the 175cm/13m was a better compromise for me and for the kind of piste I was riding. But perhaps today I would feel it differently.

Jacques

Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tim » Monday 1 March 2004, 23:55

I ride a 180 with a 14m radius which is a combination I really like. In Zinal I tried the 185 Donek from Pokkis, which has an 11m radius I think. The board does not do what you would expect of a 185, you should treat it as a long slalom board rather than a 185. From that point of view it actually had some nice advantages. It really keeps a lot of speed in short hard carved turns, it does not dig in as a slalom board might do in not so hard snow. On the steeper sections I did not like the board so much. It did not seem comfortable with the turns it had to make and got a bit chattery (Keep in mind that I have not ridden a slalom board in a long time). For me it was a fun toy rather than my first choise board.

I am planning to make a board with a bigger radius, 16m or 17m, for next year. I don't feel the 14m I am using now is anywhere near the limit of a comfortable ride, so I am curious how it will work out. I will bring the board to zinal next year, so everyone can try.

Tim

Jack Michaud
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jack Michaud » Wednesday 3 March 2004, 15:13

26m! That would be looooong! I agree 13m is a good radius for a 175, much better than 11.5 for my taste. And 11m on a 185?? That's too much if you ask me.

Someday I'll try a Swoard.... hopefully in the Alps!!
-Jack
Jack

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Jack :) you'll be able to try at the ECES!

Post by nils » Wednesday 3 March 2004, 16:11

Fin should bring three 175 with different flexes there !
So if you're not a midget they should be fitting you!

the 175cm size is intended for riders above 180cm (6') but I guess anyone over 157cm would have fun on it...
As for flexes and weight, do choose the flex according to the following charts:
-175H > over 84 kilos
-175M> between 74 till 86 kilos
-175S> under 76 kilos

Hope you can try!
Nils
ps: did u get a hold of JNerva?

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Jack :) you'll be able to try at the ECES!

Post by fivat » Wednesday 3 March 2004, 17:04

nils wrote:the 175cm size is intended for riders above 180cm (6') but I guess anyone over 157cm would have fun on it...
Important: people who are used to high bindings angles on their narrow board should reduce their angles on a Swoard so that toes and heels or close to the edges. If they are too far away, it's bad because one looses the advantages given by a wide board, efforts are too high and the edge change is of course too slow :wall:

Patrice Fivat

Jack Michaud
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Jack :) you'll be able to try at the ECES!

Post by Jack Michaud » Wednesday 3 March 2004, 21:24

fivat wrote:Important: people who are used to high bindings angles on their narrow board should reduce their angles on a Swoard so that toes and heels or close to the edges. If they are too far away, it's bad because one looses the advantages given by a wide board, efforts are too high and the edge change is of course too slow
Patrice Fivat
agreed, that's how I set up all my boards - toes and heels on the edge!

And are those weight ranges with riding gear? Or birthday suit?

Nils, get me Bauer!
Jack

Malecky
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Malecky » Wednesday 3 March 2004, 23:07

The weight is when you get up in the mornin....you dont sleep with your board do ya? :lol: 8O

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

birthday suit :)

Post by nils » Thursday 4 March 2004, 9:27

PB will be an extra 1000 bucks!

hehe
I'll see what I can do! but has Jean answered anything? because he is the link to peter!
Nils