Technical "?".Need advice from SWOARD team or inst

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Technical "?".Need advice from SWOARD team or inst

Post by starikashka » Sunday 7 March 2010, 16:11

Good day. we had a quite interesting discussion on one of the russian forums, Vitaly..moderator of russian forum, was involved as well. There was an opinion based on the wording from this site that rotation movement start from the hips. I was a bit confused, because all that time i learn EC i believed that rotation starts from the shoulders and then involves rest of the body before turn starts.

References

https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html
Be aware of your gravity center in the region of your hips, because all your movements should start from here.
Be sliding in basic position and, before the turn zone, rotate your whole body toward the direction you want to go to, moving a little bit on your front foot
This description does not specify exactly where rotation is starts from. So please clarify. I ask particulary SWOARD team and instructors. Please clarify.
i`m learning

tkc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tkc » Sunday 7 March 2010, 16:35

Hi,

I read from Patrice or Jacques (I don't remember exactly where) in this forum that the movement start with the shoulders and continue with the hips. It's a kind of package ! And it's seems to be hard to move only your shoulders without continuing with your hips, isn't it ?
But Jacques or Patrick writen that the hips was the key...
So masters, what do you conclude ? :pray2:
fchhhiiit

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Sunday 7 March 2010, 17:08

tkc wrote:Hi,

I read from Patrick or Jacques (I don't remember exactly where) in this forum that the movement start with the shoulders and continue with the hips. It's a kind of package ! And it's seems to be hard to move only your shoulders without continuing with your hips, isn't it ?
But Jacques or Patrick writen that the hips was the key...
So masters, what do you conclude ? :pray2:
Yes, it`s hard to move parts separately :-) Please shut up until those wise guys will respond :-):-):arrow: (note smilies) :!:

It seems that technique is evolving..
i`m learning

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Sunday 7 March 2010, 22:31

If I may being a noob - consider it a 'bump' of the thread back to the top.

Great question. I was thinking about it myself. These are my (noobish) thoughts.

In martial arts, a punch starts down in the heaps and even knees. So, it would be the opposite, I guess - working from the top to the bottom this time.

Or: if you don't rotate your shoulders, you won't 'uncoil' later.

That's just my educated guess, or speculations. Let's take bets! :lol: Where is the bloody 'popcorn' emoticon when you need one?? :roll: Waiting anxiously for experts.
Him> Have you ever tried snowboarding?
Me> This is a snowboard.

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Sunday 7 March 2010, 22:47

Hmm, can't physically be done. Try to rotate your hips first and then your shoulders: it can't be done. Here is your answere.

Cheers.

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Monday 8 March 2010, 5:55

I agree. Should be initiated from the shoulder, hip should naturally follow.
It's like twisting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO9auussyHk
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

yes

Post by nils » Monday 8 March 2010, 8:21

i'm wondering how one can rotate the hips without the legs and the shoulders :)
Of course its from the shoulder, but since they are " locked" with the hips, it means the rotation is directly moved from the hips down.

N.

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 8 March 2010, 8:36

One can start it also from knees :wink: but that is then flegmatic-technic :think:

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: yes

Post by starikashka » Monday 8 March 2010, 11:47

nils wrote:i'm wondering how one can rotate the hips without the legs and the shoulders :)
Of course its from the shoulder, but since they are " locked" with the hips, it means the rotation is directly moved from the hips down.
Ok,thanks Nils - you have confused me a bit :-) Are you want to say that rotation starts from shoulders and then involves whole body? Or it should go simultaneously - shoulders with hips?

Can someone please modify technical description :-) It cause misunderstanding from newcomers.
i`m learning

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Monday 8 March 2010, 12:54

Sometimes people rotate in their shoulders but not their hips, I still make this mistake sometimes. I think you should rotate the shoulders a bit further or at the same angle as the hips, but only so you can reach a certain rotation with the hips, which is the real goal.

So you should be aware to rotate your hips rather than your shoulders. I try to focus on rotating my hips because no way in hell my shoulders don't follow automatically.

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 8 March 2010, 13:43

Ben (Evgen) demonstrates clearly the rotation in this video clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jVztPS ... ature=fvsr
It has also been shown in another thread.
harald

tkc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tkc » Tuesday 9 March 2010, 8:37

Unfortunately, you need to speak french to understand this topic from Patrice but maybe it will be usefull for some people (speaking french) !
It's all about hips rotation !
Fortunately they are some picture so maybe it's "understandable" even for no french speakers. So even you (Starikashka ) can understand :wink: .

viewtopic.php?t=5234&highlight=hanche

Hips=hanche in french...
fchhhiiit

Alex

Post by Alex » Tuesday 9 March 2010, 9:15

insofar as I know the rotation should starts from the hips... so the hips rotate together with the shoulders, and when the hips stop (due to anatomical limits) the shoulder are able to continuous the rotation, but is not fundamental.
When rotation is limited to the shoulders, so hips are only the pivot, rotation is used just to follow the board direction. Instead when rotation starts from (and with) the hips the body generate a big momentum ...try with dormat :) because rotate the entire trunk means rotate a bigger mass and this create moment of inertia...when you stop rotation the board turn, and for example, in this way, it's possible make turns in slide :wink:

Basic rotation turn : https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html
Swoard PRO 168M 00001, 3G 168H
F2 Race Titanium
UPZ RC10, UPZ ATB

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 9 March 2010, 17:20

Thanks Alex. So it becomes more complicated than i thought before :-)

You say that whole body should rotate (which i agree ) - so is there any fundamental difference where a movement starts...hips or shoulders? It looks for me that more important where it stops...
i`m learning