How to make 2 hundreds ennemies in 2 seconds

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Tuesday 16 February 2010, 1:41

I started extremecarving when I was 27...

Youngest I've seen is about 15.

But I agree, most hardbooters I've seen are at least in their late 30's :badgrin:
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

tkc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tkc » Tuesday 16 February 2010, 2:34

István wrote:Okay tkc, being at 40 you should now show us your pics and vids...
hummmm... Maybe in a few weeks after having tried my brand new red toy :? . But I'm really not sure I'll be self-proud enough to show you my poor style :oops:.

But I'm surprise to see the bomber online survey. It clearly shows us that 30-35 years old carvers are the most numerous population. What was only a (poor :oops: ) joke looks like truth ! And unfortunately, I'm over the average :evil:
drzone wrote:Obviously if you're talented, you'll be younger.
But if you're like me, you'll definitely be in middle age!!
Obviously, I think I'm like you ! !
I didn't even try a swoard. I tried to laid down and I succeed... but not on the board. More something like "under the board" :lol: . My precedent "narrow and stiff" board didn't really like to stay straight on the slope when I pushed my legs during a hard carve. I even took 2 hours of training with an ESF teacher that came with softboots. The girl at the ESF desk didn't tell him I wanted to learn to laid down on the ground during carving with my hardboots ! But, I must say that he was obviously good enough to correct some bad habits I had (like my look during the turn, keeping my back arm on the back and not folden on my belly :cry:,...)
Another teacher we crossed during the training told me something like "put your board in a trash and buy a softboots board. You will do the same as with hardboots". Yes, that may be true with your young teacher's legs after 10 seasons or if I was the happy Dual owner but for me (I mean with my level) I prefere not looking like a toad during carves :wink:. I prefer use softboot when it's full of good fresh powder or when I teach snowboard basis to a friend ! !
skywalker wrote:You are totally wrong.

55 ist not middle aged. In fact EC carvers are old farts.
And you my young friend are not half as brave as you think of yourselve
Does fart mean something near "vieux schnock" in french because fart is the name of the wax you put on the snowboard in french ?
So, as I said in another message in "who,when,where" (in french), I'd really like to become a young padawan. So I know I'm to old to normaly become a padawan, but please let me find a master (Jedi or Sith, it doens't matter).
And, unfortunately, I'm not brave at all... But I'm as stubborn as a mule :wall: and also very motivated (more than 15 years on alpin snowboard should be a good proof or evidence, not sure of the right word in english :silly: ) !
HotBlast wrote:@TKC: If you like teasing all those granny boarders try this:

A) One could claim: linking fully-laid-down turns with boards made by Virus are not possible. The only "right" gear is like following (...)

B) Another try to get much more people angry: You cannot drive Swoards fast cause they're not narrow and stiff enough....

C) Cause all of those granny-boarders are anxious of driving really fast, they try to cut speed by touching the snow during turns while telling that would be way cooler than beeing a Super-G-Speed-Junkie :-)
I'm still laughing about this :lol2: :lol2: but I can't do that yet ! I still need your advices ! I don't want to be black listed or banished or maybe worst :lol:... But we could also say something like "they laid down because of their backaches" or "they can't drive fast because of their hearings problems that make them loose their sense of balance"...
Ok, I'm out...
drzone wrote:joemzl a écrit:
Zanci a écrit:
I'm 17 and can do EC on a proper slope.

Ha, here is the guy with 200 enemies.

Agree count me in
I hope Zanci isn't also smart and beautiful ! It would be to much and to hard to support !
fchhhiiit

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 16 February 2010, 8:15

Here is age poll in this site, but results are pretty much in line, now you must just add 3 years to middle age due poll was done 3 years ago :wink:
viewtopic.php?t=3138&highlight=age

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Tuesday 16 February 2010, 9:23

In Norway we have an age limit to run carving boards. You have to be at least 50 :D Younger people can be permitted only after application and evaluation by a committee. For me, EC is a natural actiity when you age. You are always close to the ground so the falls do not hurt that much. The jumps with loops and 1080 spins is not healthy when your limbs turn fragile. Therefore, after being done with skijumping, downhill, super-G, giant slalom, and slalom, EC close to the ground is the natural follow up. It's sort of natural development.
harald

hotfrontside
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by hotfrontside » Saturday 20 February 2010, 13:18

if you go around turns really low centrifugal power will make your brain almost bloodless .therefore you need a slightly or more elevated blood pressure which is more often found in older guys. if you are too young you might pass out during the turn,this would damage a young brain and even lead to terrible accidents. only older guys (like astronauts...) can stand the G-force and even if alzheimer gets worse, who cares...

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Sunday 21 February 2010, 12:22

As a 31 years old ECarver, I must say that I have nothing to calling me an old fart :-)
3 weeks ago I've heard youths saying "wow, this gaffer rocks!" I was just ending the slope just 15 meters from the entrance to the skilift with a nice 300 degrees frontside circle, stopping me completely laying on the snow.

There were 2 more hardbooters on the slope, one about 45 and another near my age. So I can agree that this activity is mainly done by old farts :-) This point of view is common when You look at the community as a 15 years old person. I mean that everyone over 25 is old! Don't You remember this?

You know, we all are becoming older and older. But when I read herald post about the age, I am trully smiling because I will be permitted to snowboard in Norway after next 19 years ;-) And it seems that I will be able to EC for the next 40 years :-)

I'd love to own a Swoard but thanks to my small feet I can do EC with my narrow Mboo 165 race board which I bought for 12 Euro... Quite a good deal comparing to the price of the Swoard, right? But yes, I'm dreaming of one swiss board every night :-)

I was beginning with 178 Nidecker Concept in 1995... So it's 15'th Year of alpine snowboarding for me... Enough to calm and ease rough beginner style.

I believe that EC is not Your wallet, which can afford it, but it's a freedom of doing something
completely different. And because You really need few years to just start EC smoothly -> it clearly shows that it is not just the single season fashion, but the life thing.

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Monday 22 February 2010, 10:36

harald wrote:You are always close to the ground so the falls do not hurt that much. The jumps with loops and 1080 spins is not healthy when your limbs turn fragile. Therefore, after being done with skijumping, downhill, super-G, giant slalom, and slalom, EC close to the ground is the natural follow up. It's sort of natural development.
Yeah, the next step is just laying on the slope (i.e. drinking beer), followed by the ultimate - laying in bed (sipping 0.9% NaCl through your vein). That's the EC-nirvana. :lol: