ski boots

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Shakul
Rank 0
Rank 0

ski boots

Post by Shakul » Friday 13 February 2004, 23:22

This is usually a subject for a big fight but I really need to get it straight.

I usually ski - not snowboard. I have a pair of funcarvers and can do a passable equivalent of EC on skiis. Now I want to learn to do that on a snowboard, but I still want to retain the possibility to switch between skiis and snowboard midday.

How detrimental is using skiboots for alpine snowboarding in general and for EC in particular (not that I could do EC this season)?

Greetz

Shakul

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Friday 13 February 2004, 23:33

Hi, Shakul

You can try to use them if they are not too stiff sideways. You need flexibility sideways because mostly you bend your knees to each other and back, so it works if your boots are not too stiff in this direction and can follow this movement without pushing/pulling too hard. Otherwise you will be hurting your shins in no time. Most recreational/sportive skiboots for carving are not that stiff nowadays, so I think it can work. (there will be people who will have another opinion on this, but If I would be you, I will give it a try, you can always buy other boots).

Greets, Hans.

gdboytyler
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gdboytyler » Friday 13 February 2004, 23:47

I use a pair of Kniessl Rail ski boots for snowboarding and the boots work great. The boots are comfortable and the flex is good. However, the Rail's are the "soft/hybrid" ski boots. I got ski boots because the snowboard boots I could buy locally were too expensive and at the time, I was leery about buying boots from the internet.

The only drawback with the Rail ski boots is that the sole is longer than snowboard specific hard boots. So depending on the width of the board you plan on getting, you may need snowboard hardboots to prevent overhang.

I thought aggresive skiers prefer stiff boots? So the ski boots that would be good for snowboarding, would probably not be good for an aggressive skier.

GdBoyTyler

Shakul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Shakul » Friday 13 February 2004, 23:54

Yep, that's the case. My skiboots are sort of training ones. Lange Banshee that use 4 clamps and two screw down settings. Extremely stiff - the good news is I can unsrew the microcanting that should give me some +-5 deg side flex. And I can unscrew the toe lean - another 5 deg of forward flex.

I'll try and If I need any more than that, I'll have to buy myself hardboots.

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

racing boots

Post by Mphdemon » Wednesday 18 February 2004, 1:37

I have a pair of solomon race boots that I use. I used to ride race ski's a lot and every once in a while I like to go back to ski's for a day. I don't really know wheather my boots are too stiff or not cause I've only owned race boots for a long time so I have no comparison. I can ride pretty well with those, but I've kinda hit a level that I can't seem to get past. Would some carving boots make that much of a difference? I've been kind of fighting with myself over this for a while. so let me know what u guys think.
Chris

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Ski boots

Post by harald » Thursday 19 February 2004, 11:51

I started to riding carving snowboards on racing ski boots, Nordica Grand Prix and also do both skiing (run gates on racing skis and boots) and snowboarding. Soon I realized that the racing boots were far to stiff both forwards and sideways for snowboarding. The foot stance was awkward and it was difficult with controlling the edges. So when I bought hardboots for snowboard, the whole thing changed and my abilities on the board improved dramatically. When comparing my hardboots (UPS RSV) and skiboots (Atomic Race Titanium), they are completely different. The skiboots are hard and stiff as "rock" while the snowboard boots are far more flexible, allowing for the sideways/forward movement that are needed for snowboarding. However, in the UPS manual it is said that it is possible to change the heel, so the boots could be used both for snowboarding and skiing. How it works, I do not know.
harald

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Tuesday 24 February 2004, 9:25

Harald, I totally agree. I tried out once ski boots on my snowboard and had the same impressions. Flex, position etc., everything is different. The forward lean was missing, the boots were too stiff both forward and sideways, so it was difficult to have a good and realxed position with bend knees.

I would try to get hold on some used pairs that are less expensive, I think it would be worth to have two different pairs.

Greetings, Eduard.
--
Swoard 175M 0048

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mphdemon » Thursday 26 February 2004, 2:25

I have been using racing ski boots until just a couple of days ago. I was actually able to do the same thing that most people can only do with snowboard boots, I found that what snowboard boots really did was make it easier to do that same stuff. Another thing that might have allowed me to do so well with ski boots is that I'm a pretty big guy, and my legs are stronger than most other peoples, so I could flex those ski boots pretty far even though they were so stiff. I think that as long as you are strong enough to flex the boot then it doesn't matter how stiff they are. Snowboard boots will just make it a lot easier for you.

Just a tip: If you are used to riding with ski boots and then you switch to snowboard boots, be careful not to over power the boots. I did that a few times on my first day and it didn't end too well.
Chris

xmen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xmen » Friday 27 February 2004, 10:30

Hi
I tried both... I think that as far as you are learning ypou can use ski boots but in the end you'll have to buy snowborad boots... firstly because of tjhe flex allowance that you need on the board secondly because of the size of the boots... ski and snowborad boots of the same size have different sole lenghts, hence if your foot is huge (like mine - 45 EU) you cannot have ski boots because they stick out of the board even if the waist width of your borad is more than 22 cm... my suggestion is that firstly you rent or buy a large width board and try witjh your ski boots then when you realize what amazing discipline you are dealing with you purchase a narrower borad and you buy proper snowboard boots...
good luck
xmen