Technique question

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

MunnyIsYummy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Technique question

Post by MunnyIsYummy » Friday 5 February 2010, 7:26

I've been riding around 5-6 days/week and have been on some days getting most or all of my two forearms on the snow, sometimes I kind of fall and absorb the slight shock with my forearms, but to the observer (i think, or at least my carve line isn't broken), it doesn't seem that way and continue to link the heel side.

I have some questions, riding on softboots on a freeride board (neversummer heritage 160cm) bindings at 30/15 forward.

1. how much am I rotating my upper body, should I be trying to look up towards the hill (rotate that much?) during a carve?
2. do I angulate first then lay down (inclinate), or just sort of "dive" into it? I've been more lately "diving" like I want to crash on purpose kind of on my toeside turns, I wonder if this is correct.
3. heel side turns I tend to resort to a "bomber" approach with my upper body angled up and my butt/hips/legs very close to the snow, how do I fix this problem? Just try to copy what I do toe side and try it heel side? just dive in and pray? (i'm aware on softboot bindings, the back hoop will hit the snow at a certain angle, i just want to inclinate enough so i can touch the snow with a near outstretched arm)
4. push.. then pull, is this just moving down on edge changes and trying to "stand" up during the turn? I have a couple of different approaches to "push/pull", they mainly differ in how i pull.

4.(1) Should I be pulling the board like I want to it to "catch an edge" because I'm pulling it? I feel resistance this way, however, I feel it is slightly unnatural to pull this way on heel side, i have to maintain angle somewhat while i pull my knees up, think of flexing knees up and down while on tippy toes, then try it while balanced on heels, it's far more difficult on heel side.
4.(2) OR as i pull, i lower the edge angle and kind of "sit" but doesnt' feel too much like pulling, rather the board's camber is shooting my legs up sometimes and i'm absorbing this energy by sucking my knees up.

I know this is a lot of questions, I just want to learn fast. I've been wiping out 15+ times a day trying to carve. I can link a couple (most being around 9 linked turns half a run?), but there are some days I can't link too well or conditions.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Technique question

Post by fivat » Wednesday 10 February 2010, 16:56

Could someone help him please? :D
I'm too busy these days. Thanks!

Patrice Fivat

yomama
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Technique question

Post by yomama » Wednesday 10 February 2010, 17:45

Work has been quite stressful for me as well so I will keep it short

1) Double check you do not boot out on both front/back side or else... 8O
2) When you first learn, it is ok to over rotate and remember, rotation start from the waist up and not necessarily just the shoulders
3) You do angulate first a la Bomber for a tiny short period prior to the start of the turn. Then when you are about to face downhill, you push (vs. dive) on your legs
4) Try more aggressive angles because with your current settings, it is too challenging to EC
5) If you can, get a board with much higher sidecut. My first EC attempt was on a 8m sidecut board and it was impossible.

I know I did not answer all your questions and the replies were rather telegraphic but I hope this helps.

Good luck and have fun!

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Wednesday 10 February 2010, 18:20

Riding softboot makes it even harder, esp. 30/15 in which case back side is almost impossibe (esp. when you're learning).

See if you can borrow/steal some hard boots, and ride the 55/50 angles.
Carve Diem

MunnyIsYummy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MunnyIsYummy » Tuesday 16 February 2010, 16:42

Thank you all for the replies (I just read them)

I kind of went to this conclusion a while ago and began carving more of an bomber angulated style, I'm beginning to get down runs just falling once or none now :)

I sometimes use push-pull, sometimes bomber cross over/under/through, :)

Carving is so much fun!