Extreme turns in the powder

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Extreme turns in the powder

Post by fivat » Tuesday 30 April 2002, 18:21

I really love the "extreme" turns in the powder. I say "extreme" in the sense that the turns are very inclined, to a point that the body is almost in the snow. The temptation to go lower and lower is high, but in the deep powder one loses a lot of speed with the risk of falling (body stopped by the snow).

What are your experiences?
Do you seek high speed in the powder to do crazy turns?
Do you prefer backside or frontside turns (or both)?

Image taken from the Freeride pages of this site.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hehe great pic :)

Post by nils » Tuesday 30 April 2002, 22:13

I prefer a swallowtail :)...Next year i'll make you try one for sure, as i'm getting a new longer one (196)

N. :)

Fox
Rank 0
Rank 0

To answer your question.

Post by Fox » Wednesday 15 May 2002, 7:42

Dude, that is a wicked picture. Judging from the way your body was facing and the spray that your inside was putting up and the fact that your board is nowhere to be seen, if you pulled that one out without a cartwheel wipe out, I am impressed. How did you get the tip of your board out of the snow? Or did you?

Anyway, for what I prefer, you are unlimited with hardboots. I have never ridden a swallowtail, but weiging 180-190lbs. riding an Eldorado 182 (last year they were made and a STIFF WIDE Momma) with HB's, HUGE speed and HUGE turns in the powder with an incredible inclination and carving feeling. This thing would float and carve in powder at speeds that I was not comfortable with, and I am comfortable with speed in general. I think I could go faster on that board in powder than my FP would go on ice. I used to point that thing down the groomed hill and it would carve the same turns as my experienced buddy on his Elan Ballistic 171 at speed. Scary and cool! I gave that board to him, because I knew it would kill me. I guess that is what you get for doing 40 degree + slopes. This wasn't your average ski resort slope, and it scared the s%$# out of me. That was cool for powder, and a wipe out meant BIG PAIN!:mrgreen:

On the flip side, my little 160 Elan Element provided enough float, but was great for the quick, skier type turns. Although it did not pucker the B-Hole as much as the 182, it was still a rush! It is all good, as long as you are riding it hardboot style! :D

How does one compare the powder tools? It does not matter if you are doing it with HB's!, just pray for the nipple deep powder.

Peace.
Hardboots are meant for more than the grooms.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: To answer your question.

Post by fivat » Wednesday 29 May 2002, 22:51

Fox wrote:Judging from the way your body was facing and the spray that your inside was putting up and the fact that your board is nowhere to be seen, if you pulled that one out without a cartwheel wipe out, I am impressed. How did you get the tip of your board out of the snow? Or did you?
To get the tip of the board out of the snow is not a problem when the powder is light :!: In fresh and deep snow, the tip can go slightly under the surface with no consequence (except a significant loss of speed, what I exactly experienced in this picture). This is also true with skis.

The problem with extreme turns in the powder is that the board is not flat on the snow but very inclined on the edge. So the rider loses some float and the board may sink momentarily.

My inside was putting up a spray in this backside turn because my left arm was partially in the snow, the whole body having a posture close to the one I have in extreme carving (on the slopes).

When the powder is heavy (wet), the situation is different. Look at the old photo below: the rider is the legendary Peter Bauer. The small spray and the snow aspect show that the powder is heavy. Though the turn is not very inclined, the rider falls! :D

-Patrice Fivat

PS: Note that Peter Bauer uses hard boots in this photo… Ah, the old days!

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

patrice

Post by nils » Thursday 30 May 2002, 10:55

Since u seem patrice to have kept all snowboards mags from the eighties, early nineties: please scan all laid turns u find there , and post them :)

your mission, if you accept it ... blah blah..

nils

Rob Stevens
Rank 3
Rank 3

Lay Pow

Post by Rob Stevens » Sunday 27 March 2005, 21:38

Hi Y'all;
In my reckoning, the higher above and into the fall line you attempt to incline heavily the greater the chance the nose will "pearl", causing you to eat shit.
There's not enough pressure avaliable in the top half of the turn.
With lots of speed and a late turn, waiting until you're out of the fall line to lay, you can use the pressure on the base to hold you and with good timing, stand you up again.
The "J" shaped turn, with all it's pressure at the bottom of the arc, will let you get as close to the snows surface as possible.
Rob S
Sorry we couldn't hook up on Saturday, Patrice. It would have been good times. If you're still in the neighborhood, give us a shout.

Silber

Post by Silber » Tuesday 29 March 2005, 10:39

I guess Patrice had a great time in Canada... I think you guys should organize some powder event as well besides the EC. Or even better, EC in powder! That way maybe we'll finally learn the Egyptian properly..

Cheers all
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

Dave
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dave » Tuesday 29 March 2005, 13:11

I think that's even harder to get good conditions!
For good EC, you don't need fresh snow, just a piste that's good prepared
There are more days that the snow is good, than when there is powder

Also, I think it's not verry smart to go freeriding with 100 people

Dave
Party hard, party wise
Swoard2005 168H 004, Northwave nexus grey

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Wednesday 30 March 2005, 14:28

getting the nose out that far is great, is it because the swallotail sinks deeper?
I have quite big problems with sigh if there is very deep and very dry poder,
having snow spraying up in front of me?
Any tipps how to do cutbacks without getting the spray into your face? I already stand on powder position.