Swoard: similars?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Swoard: similars?

Post by BlueDevil » Friday 30 January 2004, 15:49

Just wondering...
Why doesn't anybody else make anything similar to Swoard? I mean, some manufacturers make race boards, SL, GS, this, that, stuff 'n things, but it's almost impossible to find race board of any kind wider than 210 mm at waist. A problem for a 29-29 1/2 US size shoe... I mean, I tried yesterday to adjust bindings on a Burton board (180 mm width), and front angle was 69 degs! That's awfully high!
And I can't afford Swoard! What do I do :cry: ?

Really, why doesn't anybody else make larger boards? Wider than 190, that is?

I'm depressed.... :cry:

akira
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by akira » Friday 30 January 2004, 15:57

I think the Hot Blast is 20cm wide but it s still quite small.

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueDevil » Friday 30 January 2004, 16:04

Right...
20 cm is a bit narrow for me...Plus, they have pretty long boards...I was offered one custom Burton, waist 22 cm but... Man, it was 188 cm long! It's a missile, no chance in hell to do some turns going slow, or at medium speed. I don't wanna be a scud on the piste...

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Raceboard

Post by vkrouverk » Friday 30 January 2004, 19:46

You can't find any wide racing board: racing boards have different target than freecarving: racing does not require turn finishing (so there is no need to hold your edge whole turn), edge-to-edge should be fast (=narrow board) etc. So only option is to find freecarving board. And closest to swoard you can find, is probably Coiler AllMountain Freecarve(with 23 cm width). With price 460 USD it makes ca. 370 €, so it is more than 2 times cheaper than Swoard (although shipping and handling will change it). But it has small (9-10.5) m sidecut, which may be too small for EC (if that's what you are interested of) and I don't know its flex pattern. Or you can order custom board, but it will be more costly.
I also looked for something similar to Swoard but cheaper, but didn't find anything good, so I finally ordered Swoard anyway (although it cost me an arm and leg :)

kjl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kjl » Friday 30 January 2004, 20:17

Coiler and Donek and others both make custom boards, so if you wanted you could order a freecarve board (like the aforementioned Coiler AllMountain Freecarve or a Donek Axis) with a longer sidecut and/or stiffer flix or a race board with a wider waist. It costs more to buy a custom board, though...
--

Ken