TD2 test

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

TD2 test

Post by rilliet » Thursday 29 January 2004, 21:33

Hi Everyone,

After several weeks of testing the new TD2, I would like to submit a report. Please note that last year, I rode with the HEADs and TD1 bindings that are used here as references vs. the TD2. Also to decrease the bindings length by approximately 1cm, I modified the front bails and the aluminium toe clip.

First surprising impression: the incredible comfort! All vibrations and shocks are effectively filtered out by the suspension system. However, the feel with the board remain excellent (no floating sensation) and we can comit into a carve without any second thoughts. In fact, the TD2,s makes it not as hard or icy as it actually is.

Second impression: the board edges better and more progressively as if its edges are better sharpened.

After a few runs, I realized I could carve with more confidence in difficult snow conditions such as artificial icy snow or bumpy surface. All works in an easy way and one can comit more and more into the carve.

The lateral flex, which is so important in EC, is excellent and even allowed me to seriously tighten my bails in contrast to the TD1 on which I kept a bit of looseness in order to free my movements on the board.

However, after a little while, it felt ackward because my knees were now touching each other. I checked my bails and realize that the rear bails were bent to the inside (as if I had canting). Later, I realized that the front binding was bit loose and I noticed that the rear bail from the front binding was bent back to its original position but was flattened out a little (causing the looseness).

With the TD1, I also witnessed this problem but to a much lesser degree (just a little bit on the back binding rear bail). At the end of last season, I made custom bails with a slightly hard metal alloid that can be quenched in order to make it stiffer (the original bails were made with a hardened metal by **pulling it ** and therefore cannot be hardened). To lower the efforts, I also machined the cant disk in order to lower its height (and so the one of the whole binding) of –3mm.

Back on the slope.
The feeling of power is unbelievable! I can now comit into a carve without any feeling of material drawback (HEAD flobby-like or flexible bails). The resulting dymanic is a quantum leap forward, I exit every turn like a rocket and dive into the next turn without any hesitation or second thoughts. My Swoard 175 M can now freely flex thanks to the great Bomber system which now shows no sign of limitation: the board glides smoothly with a new acquired accuracy.

On the third day, during a full speed heelside turn, I heard a cracking noise and I felt as if my backfoot felt into a hole. I managed to stop without hurting myself (phew !!) and noticed the back binding bail was clearly broken on the front of the thread. :cry:

I contacted Fin Doyle, owner of BOMBER (with whom I exchanged great and passionate email debate on those new bindings) who said that in my case, the next step is to get the bails in titanium (very difficult to manufacture)!

The other solution (highly recommended by Fin for a year ago) is the step-in.
This system is known for one drawback when applied to EC: it has a poor lateral flex.
However, thanks to the new suspension system from the TD2, this problem should be solved especially with the Deeluxe Suzuka which has a more flexible shell when compared to the Northwaves.

I orderd a step in kit with those boots. I will let you know ASAP about the results.

Fin, I would like to thank you for your help, availability and kindness.
When my bails were holding during the two days, your bindngs were the best bindings I have ever tried. This is a quantum leap forward in binding design. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I realized this when I went back to my HEADs. :cry:

Conclusion:
Those new bindings allow a direct transfer of force to the edge (helped by my 84kg, thank you very much). They would highly stress the rest of the equipment. It seems like we reach the limit of what the bails can support. Let's hope that the step-in will hold....

Jacques

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Saturday 7 February 2004, 13:16

For those who are interested in the modifications of my TD toe clips, here they are:
(the bindings shown are the TD1, but the toe clip is the same for the TD2)

Note that after having changed the shape of the toe clip I couldn't close the binding anymore and I had to shorten the bail (about 1 cm) to make it work again.

Jacques

corey_dyck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: TD2 test

Post by corey_dyck » Thursday 12 February 2004, 16:23

Nice review! I'm relatively new to carving and have really enjoyed your site. Great movies!
rilliet wrote:At the end of last season, I made custom bails with a slightly hard metal alloid that can be quenched in order to make it stiffer (the original bails were made with a hardened metal by **pulling it ** and therefore cannot be hardened).
For steel alloys, the stiffness cannot be changed with hardening/quenching. They can become tougher or harder, but they will still be as flexible as an untreated steel. The only way to make something like a bail stiffer is to make it from a large diameter wire. If you were to do this, you would have to make sure it still seats on the boot properly and that you have a gradual size change to the smaller diameter of the threads. If you were to have a sudden change just before the threads the stress would be very high in this area and it will likely break.

None of this will be of much use now that you've gone to the step-ins, but it might help someone else.

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rcrobar » Friday 13 February 2004, 20:40

Hi

Here is another option for anyone interested in modifying the TD toe lever. Perhaps this may help someone as well. :)

The pictures are of the Catek toe lever and Catek bail installed onto a pair of TD2 bindings.

Cut the Catek bail to the correct length, thread it, a small bend as the Cateks are a bit wider... done. Be careful not to have threads exposed.

Jeff Caron, owner of Catek, was SUPER helpful and a pleasure to deal with. He informed me that he is not really into the small parts business. So, if you decide to buy the levers you need to buy this package:

http://www.catek.com/catekdirect/custom ... t=3&page=1

Rob

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Friday 13 February 2004, 23:41

Very nice, this combo. Gonna try this with my Cateks Olympic stepin and TD2 stepin. Because my frontbail of my TD2 SI won't stand up, but my Cateks SI will. Thanks for this idea.

Greets, Hans.

gdboytyler
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gdboytyler » Friday 13 February 2004, 23:51

Jacques,

Did you get the step-in kit yet? I'm interested in your opinion of the Deeluxe Suzuka/TD step-in combo.

GdBoyTyler

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Saturday 14 February 2004, 8:06

he, he Rob, you got THE solution!
Did you get the step-in kit yet? I'm interested in your opinion of the Deeluxe Suzuka/TD step-in combo.
Yes, it arrived this week. I will try asap.

Jacques

John K
Rank 0
Rank 0

td2 Elastimer Ring

Post by John K » Monday 1 March 2004, 20:40

Jacques,

Can you please tell me which Elastimer ring you used when you first tried the TD2s ??

Has Patrice tried TD2s ?? I am his size and wondering which ring I should order (soft, Med, Hard) ?

Thanks !

John

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Monday 1 March 2004, 21:27

Can you please tell me which Elastimer ring you used when you first tried the TD2s ??
The softer one (yellow). Take thes ones, they are perfect.

Has Patrice tried TD2s ?? yes but he found the bails too long (he is touching in frontside), and too high. He bent the bails too.
So now he is waiting for customized versions with Cateck toe clip, lower cant disk and harder bails, that we are making.

Jacques

John K
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by John K » Monday 1 March 2004, 21:45

Thanks !