BINDING FOR EC: TD3 SIDEWINDER

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

BINDING FOR EC: TD3 SIDEWINDER

Post by Hans » Saturday 2 January 2010, 16:46

A superb binding with lateral movement: TD3 SIDEWINDER, interesting with the current exchange rates.
Attachments
TD3SW_1000.jpg
TD3SW_1000.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 15073 times

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Saturday 2 January 2010, 19:16

Seems like another step forward after BTS.

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindings/td3_SW.cfm
Currently a lot of racers on the World Cup use an inexpensive plastic based binding. They do this only for the fact it gives them that lateral movement they want when they are in a rough, icy race course. The problem is these inexpensive bindings are being used way past their engineered capacity and thus racers see a large amount of failures with this binding.
Are they referring to F2's?

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

all kinds

Post by Hans » Saturday 2 January 2010, 19:44

F2's, Fritschi, SnowPro, Phiokka, Burton (now Ibex) and all other shit that they tried to copy from Burton.

(can make the list longer, I have seen lots of plastic old shit when I was at Saas Fee this summer seeing some countryteams training, EUR 100 worth plastic bindings on EUR 1500,-- worth boards).

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 2 January 2010, 21:27

nice idea from Fin..449$...maybe Bogner will start produce carving snowboards and bindings :-)

Do i understand correctly that those new bindings have a moving parts? If so i would not use it :-)
i`m learning

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Saturday 2 January 2010, 22:08

Hans, did some riders of the countryteams saw me carving beside their courses some Years ago on a smooth realxed way, with this "old shit bindings" on the icy Austiran glaciers (report about that must be found on FB).

Nice-nice! But times to times I think, Bomber Industries has realy no idea, how plate bindings for raceboards should work.

I ride some of this "inexpensive plastic old shit" since Years and had never some failures. Sure im not as heavy as 100 kg, but otherwise I use them most time on backcountry. I had never problems with them, not on heavy impacts to rocks (which let boards breaking), not on landings from higher jumps. Also carving on rough slope (not like easy of this beginners slope on Sölden-Rettenbach No 31.) didn't break them.
Otherwise on 19 cm boards this plastic-bindings are on the soft side (if used together with soft hardboots). I think on course with dammpenig plates the racers can lowering angles of bindings due the higher stand.

Keep in mind, on FIS snowboard worldchampionchip in Berchtesgarden, it's now more then 10 Years since, some women are running on Burton carrier automat bindings. And Olympic game riders (woman) rode 1998 for slalom courses during ISF worldcup series such "old plastic shit" too (She is world champion on slalom-courses on 1997 ! - so tell me please, how many world champion can be found on Bomber Industries TD bindings?)

Some other points can be foundhere. Please compare e.g. the point "Rubber-plates" to the experience reportet from some carvers on their expensive board!
Gliding on Snowboards,
like Pogo, Kessler, Virus, Hot, Nidecker and others,
from 151 up to 183 cm and 14 to 27.4 cm width,
covering any kind of shapes with
any kind of boots and bindings.

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 2 January 2010, 22:18

Hans, thanks for heads up :wink:
Rather than see how these babies behave on race cource i'm more interested to see how they behave on real thing, on EC and free carving, and specially like to hear comments by Swoard team riders :D

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Nils

Post by Hans » Saturday 2 January 2010, 22:37

Pokkis I've read on the Bomberforum somewhere that Nils is already riding a prototype for a year now and he is very satisfied/happy with it.

(@Schneewurm, I broke 4 Burton platebindings and I don't have as many days as you on a snowboard, may be I weigh a little more than you. Didn't break a bombershit binding since I have ridden these ones).

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Sidewinders

Post by nils » Saturday 2 January 2010, 22:47

Hi all,
Well i've had the chance to ride the full past season with a pre-release serie of the SW, pretty close to the finish product.

I'll try to summarize the pros and cons of my experience:

Pros:
- No more braking or bended bails ( standard inox)
- No more need for loose bindings to get flex
- Much more comfort because lateral movements are now possible
- Very good dampening
- Very hot look :)
- Bulletproof

Cons:
- A bit heavy
- A bit high on the board ( +3mm i think compare to the TD3 normal)
- With Northwave .900 and .950 ( short shell length compare to other boots): the 28-29 shell is the smallest boot you can fit on the plate ( Fin told me this was due to the proto size, and the issue was solved now). I had to use the smallest settings available to be able to lock my boots on it. It should be no issue with all other boots on the market.
- Tag price ( very interesting for us euros at the moment)
- A bit difficult to remove and switch urethane piece ( needs very strong effort with tool or bench to press one side, remove otherside, replace and vice versa).

Conclusion: I will not ride anything else anymore. Since i'm lazy and dont want to move plates on boards etc, i'm riding the Dual with TD2's and custom unbreakable bails, but on the Extremecarver, the TD3 Sidewinder have become my weapon of choice.
On the Extremecarver, in EC, it has proven to help me level up, especially backside because of the comfort given, ability to correct little mishaps in body placement etc...

Last thing: again avoid the step in versions on wide EC boards, even with the lateral flex of the SW, it would still put too much pressure on the board and boot for effective EC and will diminish the efficiency of the SW. Only old senile people with lazy background should be using step in for EC..( ;) )

Nils

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 2 January 2010, 23:01

Nils,
you are noughty boy :naughty: :naughty: :wink:
Now i will forget that beer for you in Zinal 8)

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Sunday 3 January 2010, 8:51

Wow, a renewed attack from EC crew regarding step-in :lol:

Anyway, I believe the prototype has been used by one of their pro team, Mark Trapp as well (http://www.bomberonline.com/community/trappy.cfm). He bindings have matching toe clips and sole blocks.

Yup, I ordered one. Guess it was very wise of me to hold the impulse to buy TD3 last year. I've modified TD2 baseplate so that I could use TD3 sole blocks and bails, but it seems like I'll have instead two sets of TD3!

Nils, did you try the binding with TD3 e-rings or TD2 e-rings? Do you recon there will be some advantage using TD2 e-rings to lower the overall binding height? Thanks!
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

The Blitz
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Blitz » Sunday 3 January 2010, 11:08

Thx Nils for your feedback.

Jacques, is it time (to you) to re-switch to Trench Digger ?
What is your opinion ?

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Sidewinders

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Sunday 3 January 2010, 13:42

nils wrote:Last thing: again avoid the step in versions on wide EC boards, even with the lateral flex of the SW, it would still put too much pressure on the board and boot for effective EC and will diminish the efficiency of the SW. Only old senile people with lazy background should be using step in for EC..( ;) )
So you have tried a step-in version already? ;)

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Sunday 3 January 2010, 18:03

nils wrote:Last thing: again avoid the step in versions on wide EC boards, even with the lateral flex of the SW, it would still put too much pressure on the board and boot for effective EC and will diminish the efficiency of the SW. Only old senile people with lazy background should be using step in for EC..( ;) )Nils
Pokkis, I want to hear him talking when has has reached your and mine age.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Sunday 3 January 2010, 19:15

Are you that old, Hans? :wink:

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Sunday 3 January 2010, 19:33

Hans wrote: Pokkis, I want to hear him talking when has has reached your and mine age.
I tought that he is already :wink: