Icy conditions

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Icy conditions

Post by Jakob » Wednesday 28 January 2004, 23:17

Hi!

By now we have all figured out that best EC is done in perfect snow conditions, on not too crowded slope, possibly in good visibility... :roll: :roll:

That means that most of the time (at least on our slopes) those conditions are not met. The biggest problem I find is icy snow, especially when it doesn't snow for a long time, but is cold enough for the employees to make artificial snow. That creates rather nasty conditions for EC.

My question is: is there any other trick to tackle this kind of conditions, except from razor sharp edges and the power that makes your legs hurt? :think:

On that kind of snow i often loose grip and skid :( , unless I have rather high speed and I press real hard :evil: . But riding at high speeds on icy slope is rather dangerous and scarry and you can't push that hard for a wery long time...

Thanks for your suggestions,

Jakob
Element - water.

McFussel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Icy conditions

Post by McFussel » Thursday 29 January 2004, 10:36

No Pian, no gain....

saw our video?? I just say: ICY sometimes...... :bravo:

just go "violent style" :evil2:
Don´t ride the chicken line!

http://www.carving-masters.de

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueDevil » Friday 30 January 2004, 15:39

Yup, ditto!
Push like it's the last thing you'll ever do. Do one run, and then take 10 minutes to relax and regain power. That's what I do. Exhausting, of course, but...

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mphdemon » Monday 2 February 2004, 18:19

all I have to say is that icy snow means very very high speeds, and all I have to say to that is...

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Chris

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Tuesday 3 February 2004, 0:25

McFussel wrote:just go "violent style" :evil2:
Personally I get the best runs with a "smooth style": controlling the pressure on the edges carefully, progressively, precisely...
But sometimes jumping from a turn to another allows the edges to penetrate more deeply in the ice. The feeling is amazing :twisted:

Patrice Fivat

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jakob » Wednesday 4 February 2004, 19:06

Hi!
McFussel wrote:saw our video?? I just say: ICY sometimes...... :bravo:
Yeah, I saw your video :clap: , but I've noticed that your knees are very flexed throughout the turn. I often ride that way when it's icy.
fivat wrote:But sometimes jumping from a turn to another allows the edges to penetrate more deeply in the ice. The feeling is amazing
That is the other option that I use while riding in icy conditions.

Precisely and carefuly exerting force on the edges is a must anyway in such conditions.

But what I really wanted to know is whether it is possible (and if how?) to lay a perfect carve, as low as seen on the photos. The way I see it and experience it (but I could be wrong obviously), laying a turn with hands touching the snow transfers some of the weight on the spot where the arm is touching the snow. That is in my opinion inevitable (or not?). As gravity plays a rather big role in EC, decreasing weight of the body decreases force and ability to exert the biggest possible force on the edges. That's why edges can't penetrate deep enouhg in ice and I can't outstretch and lay in the snow entirely. Well, I do eventualy...when I lose grip :wink:

Thanx for any more comments,

Jakob
Element - water.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Wednesday 4 February 2004, 19:46

Jakob wrote:The way I see it and experience it (but I could be wrong obviously), laying a turn with hands touching the snow transfers some of the weight on the spot where the arm is touching the snow. That is in my opinion inevitable (or not?).

Yes, I see it like you! :think: It's an interesting subject.
jakob wrote:As gravity plays a rather big role in EC, decreasing weight of the body decreases force and ability to exert the biggest possible force on the edges. That's why edges can't penetrate deep enouhg in ice and I can't outstretch and lay in the snow entirely. Well, I do eventualy...when I lose grip :wink:
I think (I observe) that the force decrease on the edge is not too high. But when the body is completely laid, it may be however critical. It's here that the board you use is the key: a good distribution of torsional stiffness is the secret, so that the pressure is spread out homogeneously along the entire effective edges. It's exactly what the ATC Matrix does in the Swoard :wink: An extremecarving board is designed specifically to be able to ride on its edge nearly vertical towards the piste surface... Usual boards may skid because they are not conceived to work in such conditions :naughty:

Moreover, when the snow is very icy, I sharpen my edges every day! This season I try an angle of 88° (while I used 90° before), and it works better :evil2:

Patrice Fivat

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Thursday 5 February 2004, 11:11

Patrice,

I was glad to read that you find 88 better, than 90, that is also my opinion. :pray2:

However, here ( https://www.extremecarving.com/swoard/manual.html ) you have a different suggestion. You might want to change it in this case. :rules:

Is your 88 equal to 89 plus -1, or it's 88 + 0? :?: I assume its the latter and I also prefer that one. 8)

Cheers,

István

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Thursday 5 February 2004, 13:12

István wrote:However, here ( https://www.extremecarving.com/swoard/manual.html ) you have a different suggestion. You might want to change it in this case. :rules:
:D Yes we should change this. Or let's say that you can go to 88° in the middle of the season when there is no more stones... Damaging the edges with such an angle is more hell to repair :evil3:
István wrote:Is your 88 equal to 89 plus -1, or it's 88 + 0? :?: I assume its the latter and I also prefer that one. 8)
The latter yes 8)

Patrice Fivat