How much is too much (boots-over-edges) ?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

How much is too much (boots-over-edges) ?

Post by BlueDevil » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 9:26

Just one (simple?) question:
Boots may not get over the edges. I "tested" that myself, and I still feel the consequences. :oops:
So, let's immagine the board laying down on its bindings, like the opposite of what it lays down on the piste. With boots attached. Looking down at it:

- I shouldn't see the boots at all?
- I could seee the boots, but not the heels?

I mean, how much away from the edges do the boots have to be? Right in the line with edges? 1 cm to the inside? 2 cm? 'Cos, if they don't go over the edge, when you put the board at 75* (for example), boots WILL touch the snow underneath!
Or am I (again) missing something?

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Waist Width & Boot Overhang

Post by rcrobar » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 16:39

Hi BlueDevil

I think this thread will answer your question.

viewtopic.php?t=26

Rob

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueDevil » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 16:48

I've seen that topic before, and I read it again...
I don't understand something, though:
You can mesure this at home with a rule and a protactor: put the rule on the sole perpendiculary to the board axis and mesure with the protactor, the angle between the rule (the sole plane) and the the point were the protactor is touching the rear boot. You should obtain about 84 degrees on each side of the board.
What is the "protactor"? The whole measuring idea I dont get. How should I place the board on the ground? Should I put the boots in the bindings, then tilt the board over the edge (I guess not)? I'd liek to measure, but...I just don't get it :( :? 8O

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Protractor

Post by rcrobar » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 17:54

Hi BlueDevil

What this basically means is that the heel and toe of your boots, usually just your back boot, can stick out past the edge of your board just a little.

A protractor is an insturment that is used for measuring and drawing angles (Half circle, clear plastic thing with a 0-180 degree scale on it.)

Hope this helps :)
Rob

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueDevil » Wednesday 28 January 2004, 7:38

Thanx Rob!
Yup, that helps a lot. Knowing what protractor is gives a whole new light to the measuring procedure above.
I gotta leave job early today to go home & do some angles :wink: