Bomber & EC

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bomber & EC

Post by BlueDevil » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 8:02

I was just watching the video I found on BomberOnLine (is that the name? I'm not sure). Anyway, what I saw is the huge difference in the carving style. It's like downhill and slalom on skis - same sh!t (you always pass the gates & go down), but HUUUGE difference.
Now, I must say that I (visually) prefer the EC style. A 100%.
Second, I have to admit to all of you - that B-style is how I ride. I am the snowboard instructor in my country, and we were told to ride "always with body facing the nose of the board". I see now that what I felt a lot of times while riding on piste - it sucks. But I tried and tried, convinced that what they told me was right. Having some trouble on the backside with counter-rotation (goofy) etc.
1st of all, I can tell you that those G's at the end of the turns...man, do they grow up! Even on this video (rememberthis.wmv) you can see on of the riders exiting the carve in low position, knees bended..I know that feeling, when you add speed+tight carve in more that 5 turns in a row...You can't get up, no matter what.

How hard will it be for a 12-year-boarder & 9-year-carver to change style?

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Blue

Post by nils » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 18:00

I started riding in 88, and real carving around 92-93: it took me a whole season to learn the rotation technique, and am still figthing it sometimes. Its interesting to know all riding techniques, and the "race" position is sometimes usefull too. So i guess instead of getting rid of one technique, a good thing is to learn another one :) that will add to the sum of knowledge, experience!!

nils

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueDevil » Wednesday 28 January 2004, 8:00

Yes, of course! I ain't gonna forget anything I learned. Even that 360's with grabs 'n stuff. I don't do them for years, but I ain't gonna forget'em.

It's one other thing that I don't undrstand: you go downhill, and you go hard. Fast. Faster. Even faster. Of course, you're (almost) alone on the piste. Then you start to carve. After first turn (I call it the "set-up" turn), you begin some serious carving. (When I say "you" i mean "us" or mostly "me"). Doing that the race-style, but inclinaing & angulating very hard, getting the elbow down on the snow, and progressively going down with knees....it builds up to really enormous amount of pressure. There are carves, I tell you, that I can't get up. I have to wait for the board to almost stop, before being able to get up. And I do squats 'n stuff 'n weight lifting all throughout the year.

That's what forced me to think that something must be wrong, 'cos adding more speed or carving an even tighter carve would hammer me down in the snow up to my hips.

That's why I must try this EC technique.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

yes got tired of getting burned legs after two rides!

Post by nils » Wednesday 28 January 2004, 8:23

just start the turns much more early, try having the board go almost uphill before you laydown the turn: since the pressure gets balanced along a much bigger edge time its reduced and don't feel that bad!

:)

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Sunday 8 February 2004, 11:04

Hi BlueDevil,
How hard will it be for a 12-year-boarder & 9-year-carver to change style?
Some of the guys that were at the ECS in Zinal were able to change their whole technique in 3 days!

Jacques

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

change!!

Post by skywalker » Sunday 8 February 2004, 13:26

Hey blue Devil,

I don't know, what Jacques and Patrice would say, but I think, I have nearly completely changed to rotation-technik. It took me two days with more drifting than carving and with very strong rotations with my shoulders to feel more common with that style. I have to admit, that counter-rotation ore always facing somwhat was nothing I intensivly tried. It just occured whil riding a really ;) narrow board. If You concentrate on rotation-technic, I think, it should be not a big problem to change within a weekend, maybe two. Fine-tuning will take the rest of your life ;))))
free extreme carving

Jack Michaud
Rank 3
Rank 3

hmm

Post by Jack Michaud » Wednesday 11 February 2004, 23:04

Fact:
Nobody can say that one style is "better" than the other, but I will definitely say that the "Bomber" style does not "suck". They both have their strengths and weaknesses and I defy anyone to <i>prove</i> outside of a race course that they are not equal.

Opinion:
One thing I would argue is that I think the EC style is more advanced, and Bomber style is more accessible to intermediate carvers. I would think that the Bomber style is something you need to know before you can extreme-carve. I also don't think that you have to un-learn one to do the other.

Cheers,
Jack

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

completely disagree

Post by skywalker » Wednesday 11 February 2004, 23:19

Hi Jack,

I can't see any reason, why you should or should have to learn bomber style before learning EC! I teach the beginners I'm allowed to teach rotational style, gesture purity and different ways to unweight the edge. I don't think, you have to learn something first, which is hard to train against later.

For me the arguments for bomber style are the same as o every variety: The more different styles you have learned, the more you understand about snowboarding in general. Besides the style you perform, you become a better snowboarder, when you achieve diffent turn techniques. The other BIG argument is: You can also have a lot of fun with bomber style turns, so why not do it this way if you like ist???
free extreme carving

jason_watkins
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jason_watkins » Thursday 12 February 2004, 2:06

where is this movie you are talking about? I must have missed it on Bomber Online.

Jack Michaud
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: completely disagree

Post by Jack Michaud » Thursday 12 February 2004, 16:47

skywalker wrote:Hi Jack,

I can't see any reason, why you should or should have to learn bomber style before learning EC! I teach the beginners I'm allowed to teach rotational style, gesture purity and different ways to unweight the edge. I don't think, you have to learn something first, which is hard to train against later.
It's only my opinion, I could be wrong. I wasn't talking about the "basic" EC technique, I'm talking about the full on layouts. I think that a novice carver who goes out and tries to emulate Patrice & Jacques, and tries to do the full layout carves is going to have a hard time, and will probably pick up some bad habits like bending over at the waist.
For me the arguments for bomber style are the same as o every variety: The more different styles you have learned, the more you understand about snowboarding in general. Besides the style you perform, you become a better snowboarder, when you achieve diffent turn techniques. The other BIG argument is: You can also have a lot of fun with bomber style turns, so why not do it this way if you like ist???
Absolutely.
Jack