Wearing out gloves, jackets, and pants

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

wayer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wearing out gloves, jackets, and pants

Post by wayer » Sunday 25 January 2004, 5:47

Is anyone else having trouble with their clothes wearing out rather quickly?

My technique must be improving, because not it's not just my gloves that wear out quickly, I'm now finding holes in my pants (hip), and jacket (forearm) as well.

I think that I can keep the pants off the snow, but I'm probably going to have to coat my forearms with "shoe goo" to keep them from wearing out.

What brand(s) of gloves are folks having good durability with?

Cheers,

wayer

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hi there

Post by nils » Sunday 25 January 2004, 9:03

Well we all have the same problem, and until we are making a glove in partnership with a glove company, there will be no real improvemnt.

you buy a 20 euro pair of gloves: they last 3 days, you buy a 80 euros they last 3-4 days!
What i just did since i got my new pair (good quality Level gloves) I put some liquid rubber on all weak parts before using it, so it protects the fingers, palm and wrist.
Never saw shoo goo but must be same kind: use it before making the holes!

N.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Wearing out gloves, jackets, and pants

Post by fivat » Sunday 25 January 2004, 9:37

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Monday 26 January 2004, 16:47

Nils,

I've read that you use Level gloves. That is my choice, too. I wonder what your opinion is about the wrist protection system. Do you use it at all?

I have a pair of Half Pipe Pro from this season (already worn) and the wrist protector is much more comfortable in this one than in the previous year's model.

Concerning the reparation: I could not find the glue you suggested, but I used Palma Tex, which is also a rubber based glue. Produced by Henkel group. It is really ugly, brownish, greenish jelly, but it works.

Cheers,

István

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

polyglut

Post by nils » Monday 26 January 2004, 19:05

finding polyglut or equivalent should be easy in a shop that sells diving gear and hydrospeed/kayak equipment.

Maybe we should make a business with that !

My level have no wrist protection just a stupid wrist velcro that gets filled with snow on the first turn!!!

N.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 21:50

Hey Nils,

The Polyglut business sounds great! I have to admit that I do not know too much about commerce, but I'm willing to change if it pays better than banking :D

What is a 'velcro'?

I have seen 2 solutions by Level to stop the snow getting into the glove, I can not really explain it in writing, but as usually, the more expensive one works better. So if that is the 'velcro', than you might have the simplier solution.

Kindest,

István

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

velcro

Post by skywalker » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 22:05

Hi István,

Velcro is the textile, which sticks together when one side touches the other. Most gloves have one around the wrist. For sure you know it. On the one side there are little arcs, on the other side there is a more flushy one.

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jakob » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 23:06

There is another way of protecting the palm part of the glove (I haven't figured out how to attach the stuff on the fingers yet) that I haven't seen mentioned in any topic before.

It goes like this: you take an old tube that got penetrated or simply went flat from no obvious reason off the bicycle. You cut it and make patches or stripes or any other desired shape. I do it so that I cut out about 12cm wide stripe and so long, that you can well wrap it around your glove with your hand in. Then you stick the ends on the back of your glove with some strong glue. That way no friction affects the "stitch". All you have to do now is to cut out the hole for the thumb. As it's pretty strong material it doesn't wear out wery soon. To reinforce it you can also add some layers of powertape over it, to make sure it holds.

I tried to cut the tube in rings, but I can't attach them on the fingers so that they wouldn't come off when I ride, but I'll think of something.

I'd sure like to lay my hands on that liquid rubber though.

Ride low.
Element - water.

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueDevil » Wednesday 28 January 2004, 7:49

It goes like this: you take an old tube that got penetrated or simply went flat from no obvious reason off the bicycle.
:lol: :P :D I think I just found out how is it possible that bicycle tubes go "flat from no obvious reason" :lol: :P :D

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Wednesday 28 January 2004, 19:53

Hey Skywalker and Nils,

Now I know what a velcro is. Than I agree. Mine also gets loaded with icy snow after a few carvs. Than it does not work anymore.

Shit happens... :(

Kindest,

István