Young Vikings in Tryvan, Norway

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Whitey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Young Vikings in Tryvan, Norway

Post by Whitey » Friday 4 December 2009, 9:53

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Wow

Post by nils » Friday 4 December 2009, 10:26

Fucking cool!
Please someone translate the article for us :) :)
Great pic too :)

Nils

Whitey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Whitey » Friday 4 December 2009, 10:56

Hey you can use e.g Google translator: http://translate.google.com/ It gives you understandable translation, just select Norway -> English. It is very nicely written piece of story!

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 4 December 2009, 11:06

With Google:

Old Kara in Tryvann
I will talk about the old boys in Tryvann; boys of 60 plus who are still running wrenching turns and cruising in powder those times when conditions on the offer.

(Previously published in Akersposten, 19 November-09)

I will talk about the old boys in Tryvann; guys that show up in the ground before the opening, pointing nose at anyone who comes slentrende at eleven. I will talk about the old boys in Tryvann; guys who always put up the nypreppa equipment and steel edges kvassere than the blades to Hellstrøm.

I will talk about the old boys in Tryvann; guys that ... No, wait: I want to be as old boys in Tryvann; Tore, Kalle, Hans, Harald, and many more packages that age in good used ski clothing and go on with the underlying hælsvinger on snowboard and that log 100 ski days during the season. I'm talking about vintage and gran reserva; good old quality stamped vintage with bouquet of snow in all possible shades. Skiers and snowboarders that despite decades of storage and care in Tryvann - and other resorts - deleted not need aeration. For when the ground is where nypreppet and resembles a rifle potato chips flakes, you can be reasonably sure that you see lines in the snow, perfect halvsirkelformete lines shaped and produced by the old boys in Tryvann.

For it is not so guys will hibernate when the snow lets go and runs back to the little lake where a few months earlier was pumped up from. Oh no. Long before most of us have had time to think about swimming trunks and a warm Oslofjord, has some of the old boys have already logged the first dozen of trips on the surfboard, and they will not stop until snow cannons again sprays the first sign of winter out of Tryvann. That is what is called against the brøstet and steel in the legs and arms. And not the least sense in the forehead. And the rest of us, nick kids, who still has many years ahead of us where we need to try to good from all kinds of diseases, trying to keep pace, trying to keep a tone that probably is too high. But we will see - and learn - it's just to meet up. For they are there. Guaranteed. And they will for a long time to come continue to put his signature swinging in the ground, turns that not even snow melting will be able to remove.

So what's the secret? How have they managed to get 60 plus and so fit? Good genes, perhaps? A diet based on low-carbon, antioxidant-rich eliksirer and highly concentrated omega 3? Or simply a good dose of luck? I think I know the answer. For let's say I ask one of the guys about what he has done to be a ... well, just gammelkar in Tryvann, then I will bet a good bit of money that he will shake a little questioning on his head and look at me with a look that says - it's obvious! And after he has fine-tuned støvlespennene, mount bindings and placed the glasses in front of your eyes, and in it he let the board or skis glide elegant and smooth down the hill, he will say: - The answer is passion, Kjetil, the passion for what we are doing. And the eternal faith in the perfect ski days, he will add. And just before he was slipping away from the audible distance, he will turn around shouting: - And the perfect ski days, you experience only if you are there. Passion. Pure passion, it is called. Søren Kirkegaard once said: He who does not have passion, never see the promised land, but die in the desert. And I think tells it all.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Friday 4 December 2009, 19:08

RESPECT :pray2:

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 7 December 2009, 11:34

First of all I will congratulate Pokkis with a very good translation. It seems to me that when you come to Oppdal this winter you do not need to speak English at all. Then thanks to Whitey who picked it up.
Since I am one of the guys that is mentioned in the article, and some of you may have noticed (or speculated) that some of the persons also are identical with the persons that Pokkis nicknamed "the Gentlemen" team. Therefore, I will provide some information that may help understanding the content better and also provide a translation that supplements Pokkis's excellent attempt.
Fri Flyt is a Norwegian magazine for alternative outdoor sports such as powder, offpiste and freeriding on skis and snowboards, as well as mountainbiking, surfing and outdoor activities that other would name extreme sports. Park riding on skis and snowboards is also included.
"Gamlekara" is a Norwegian expression for old boys or old guys. Tryvann is our local play ground in Oslo. Hellstrøm is the most known chef in Norway, running a two Michelin star rated restaurant in Oslo and he also runs his own TV- show.

So here comes my assistance to Pokkis:
The old boys in Tryvann
I will talk about the old boys in Tryvann; boys of 60 plus who are still running carving turns and cruising in powder those times when such conditions are offered. I will talk about the old boys in Tryvann; the guys that show up on the slope before the the lifts open, pointing nose at anyone who lazily arrives at eleven. I will tell about the old boys in Tryvann; guys who always show up with freshly waxed and prepared equipment and steel edges sharper than the knives of Hellstrøm.

I will talk about the old boys in Tryvann; No, wait a little bit: I want to be like the old boys in Tryvann; Tore, Kalle, Hans, Harald, and many others that package their age in heavily used ski clothes and really go for it with lay down carving back side turns on snowboard and that log 100 ski days during the season. I'm talking about vintage and gran reserva; good old quality stamped vintage with bouquet of snow in all possible shades. Skiers and snowboarders that despite decades of storage and care in Tryvann - and other resorts - do not need any decantation at all. Because when the slope is lying there, freshly groomed and resembling rilled potato chips flakes, you can be quite sure that you see lines in the snow, perfect half circle lines, shaped and produced by the old boys in Tryvann.

Neither is it so that these guys will hibernate when the snow lets go and runs back to the little lake from where it a few months earlier was pumped up. Oh no. Long before most of us have had time to think about swimming trunks and a warm Oslofjord, some of the old boys already have logged their first dozen of trips on the windsurfing board, and they will not stop until snow machines again sprays the first sign of winter out on Tryvann. That is what is named courage in the cheast and steel in legs and arms. And not the least good sense in the forehead. And the rest of us, nick kids, who still have many years ahead of us in which we need to do our best to chase away all kinds of diseases, trying to keep pace, trying to keep a tune that probably is too high. But we will see - and learn - it's just to show up. For they will be there. Guaranteed. And for a long time ahead they will continue to put their signature lines on the slopes, turns that not even snow melting will be able to remove.

So what's the secret? How have they managed to get 60 plus and so fit? Good genes, perhaps? A diet based on low-carboes, antioxidant-rich drinks and highly concentrated omega 3? Or simply a good dose of luck? I think I know the answer. For let's say I ask one of the guys about what he has done to be a ... well, just old boy in Tryvann, then I will bet a good bit of my money that he will shake a little questioning on his head and look at me with a look that says - it's obvious! And after he has fine-tuned his buckles, closed the bindings and placed the glasses in front of his eyes, and in the moment he let the board or skis glide elegantly and friction less down the hill, he will say: - The answer is passion, Kjetil, the passion for what we are doing. And the eternal belief in the perfect ski days, he will add. And just before he is slipping away from audible distance, he will turn around shouting: - And the perfect ski days, you will only experience them if you are there. Passion. Pure passion, it is called. Søren Kirkegaard once said: He who does not have passion, never see the promised land, but die in the desert. And I think tells it all.
harald

Kjetil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kjetil » Monday 7 December 2009, 20:44

Yeah, respect to ”The old guys in Tryvann”. :D And thanks to Harald for the translation.

With best regards
Kjetil Odegardstuen, the author of the article