What's about the high angle restriction?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: OLAF

Post by cmachine » Monday 26 January 2004, 19:16

BlueDevil wrote:But now, I'll have to put the lowes angle possible & try a couple of days, to get used to it.
Hi BlueDevil

Let us know the result:-)

May be "experience reports" are a good way to find out more about this angle-thing. Maybe the better way than theoretical assumption.

Good Test
Olaf

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Monday 26 January 2004, 21:47

ablazespy wrote:I have read the discussion about the ange settings. :o :o
In my opinion the settings are personal, but also depending on the board you are riding. I own a Swoard 175m :bravo: :bravo: now and 54 in front foot works best after 3 days shifting back and forward. But in my older Blackhole alpine 165, I still like it between 62 and 70 depending on snowconditions lower angle when on ice slopes and higher after snowfall.
On my silberpfeil 168 I have to stay high because of my 45 euro feet size. So try around.
Any comment in differend boards changing angles!
Hi ablazespy

I completely agree with you, different boards require different angles. It’s difficult to ride very high angles on wide boards (lever to the edge). And it’s difficult to ride low angles on narrow boards (boot-out).

But the question must be another: What’s the optimal angle for me? --> And then, choose the right board for this angles.
This is the way how J&P came to their own board: They found that they could Ecarve better with moderate angles and needed a wide board.

I’m just not sure if moderate angles are better for all (because of some hard facts, e.g. physical reason) or if they are a personal thing.

If they are better for all, then J&P&N will make big good business with their SWOARD, because sooner or later everyone has to follow the hard facts.
But if moderate angles are just a thing of personal matter, …

Best regards
Olaf

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 8:30

Hi everyone,

Just a few comments about the discussion:

Our angulation "rule" has several reasons but of course are not a "universal" rule.

1- snowboard feeling: For us snowboarding means having the feet side by side on the board, not one behind the other that is water monoski feeling. So the question is: what is the minimum angulation that still gives us a snowboarding feeling? For us, 55° to the front foot. This is just totally subjective.

2- riding ability: high angulation limits the body mobility on the board. It also limits the way you can adjust the board inclination during a turn by bending the knies. 55° is a kind of limit we have experimented where we sill have this mobility. So as cmachine said, we found our optimal angulation compromise, then we choosed the board width that prevents the boots to touch the snow during EC turns.

3- At the beginning of Extremecarving.com people asked us for our EC technique. We have described what we have found and what works for us. But these are not absolute rules. We know peoples that need different feet angulations because they just feel bad with our. There body has a different shape and need different settings.

The conclusion of this is that people who want to ride exactly like us should use the same settings. But there are situations where it is not possible. ie: small people with very big feet.

Jacques

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

More about angles

Post by vkrouverk » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 14:33

I read it some time ago and finally found this article, where Pureboarding's leader Jörg Egli describes his setup:
http://www.pureboarding.com/phorum-3.3. ... &i=45&t=45
What's interesting, is binding setup: front 55, rear 20: such setup is not very common these days. But then again this asym. board is also not very common these days :)
Perhaps should try something like this with Swoard :roll:

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jakob » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 23:15

Well, I must say that since I have rather big feet (46) and rather narrow board (Elan Ballistic) my angles have to be well over 60. But I've been riding high angles ever since I've started snowboarding (14 years) and I got quite used to it. It took a bit longer for me to learn how to ride well, but now I really don't think it affects my ability to ride as low as I want.

I guess the only difference is on ice pack, where I can't exert as much power on the edge as I'd like to. I've been using cant/lift disk for ages on the rear foot, and only now i've learned on this forum that it might be better to ride without it.

Do you think that riding with bindings flat on board (no cant/lift) might help to put more direct power on the edge and therefore to some degree decrease the possibility of the board slipping in turn on ice pack?
Element - water.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

jakob

Post by nils » Tuesday 27 January 2004, 23:27

driving flat improves especially the backside.. It is usefull when you want to make 180° curves, but not so important when racing slalom where you need cant/lift so > try flat :)

Nils