bootflex by cutting plastic

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

erik
Rank 5
Rank 5

bootflex by cutting plastic

Post by erik » Sunday 4 October 2009, 20:04

I ride a raichle AF 600 with bts-system (yellow springs). After last seazon I wanted to buy even softer springs.

At home I tried the system without springs and then I noticed that the plastic of the boots stopped the motion of the flex so I presume that a softer spring will not help.

Only solution is cutting the plastic? And where? Anyone has experience with an AF 600? Could you let me see some pictures of the result cause I don't want to mess up my boots.
I have an extra thermofit innerboot. Could this give already more flex?
Swoard 2D 168H #13, f2 race titanium, raichle AF600 ACSS, Northwave .900

erik
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by erik » Wednesday 7 October 2009, 23:26

Is there nobody who could give me one or more tips? :(

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 8 October 2009, 8:23

I would say that if you give more freedom to boot twist frontwards than standard, which is quite much, then you thread to kill your ankle.
But if you do it, i would move either of hinges slightly backwards, that would still keep boot in good shape.

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

INDY

Post by Hans » Thursday 8 October 2009, 9:54

Some guys in the french forum cut their INDY's.

viewtopic.php?t=2631&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

and from a dutchy, Eric

viewtopic.php?p=23754&highlight=#23754

kurtsk8
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kurtsk8 » Thursday 8 October 2009, 9:56

in Italian
hard work on suzuka
viewtopic.php?t=3932
"I miei sci sbattono, vibrano, sbandano. Io no."

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Thursday 8 October 2009, 12:13

One of the guys at Excarving.com posted his modification of AF600.

http://www.excarving.com/jaryu/jaqna_v. ... ontact=yes

(Note: if I were him, I would've created a hole above the cut he made on heel part of the upper shell so that the crack would not spread)
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: bootflex by cutting plastic

Post by starikashka » Sunday 11 October 2009, 23:15

erik wrote:I ride a raichle AF 600 with bts-system (yellow springs). After last seazon I wanted to buy even softer springs.

At home I tried the system without springs and then I noticed that the plastic of the boots stopped the motion of the flex so I presume that a softer spring will not help.

Only solution is cutting the plastic? And where? Anyone has experience with an AF 600? Could you let me see some pictures of the result cause I don't want to mess up my boots.
I have an extra thermofit innerboot. Could this give already more flex?
Erik, are you sure that this will make a difference? My tip would be not bother yourself with boots cutting, better to force your legs bend properly...Do not get yourself into position of the guy who can`t dance and cuts off his balls in hope that this makes him a good dancer :-) Sorry of being rude :-)

P.S. deeluxe boots are not the best availiable, but it works good enough for extremecarving. If you can specify what problem you want to fix it would help.

P.P.S - you can contact Denis memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1601 who made Indy mod to improve forward lean ability.
i`m learning

erik
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by erik » Monday 12 October 2009, 21:07

I like the boots very much. Indeed not the best but as long as the Nortwaves are rare :cry: they will do fine.

Problem is that when I try to bend my rear knee, it feels like I'm on the edge of the boot and that I'm still not deep enough.
If I see at pictures of P & J: there rear knee is almost bend in a 90 degre angle.
I can do that also but then my weight is to much on my rear foot.
So if the boot would flex more I think I will be able to bend the knee well and keep my weight between the bindings.

That's why I'm searching for a solution if there is one.
I must say that I'm a bit afraid that when the plastic has been cut, the problem will not been solved and the boots are f***ed up :doh:

When there is someone who has a good result with the cutting (of an AF 600) I perhaps would consider to try it also but after reading the replies (thanks to all but not convincing enough), I think I continue with the boots like they are and search for a solution in progressing my technique :)

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Monday 12 October 2009, 21:51

A good result with the cutting ? You can cut the boots in very small pieces like this : Image , then buy Head Stratos :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
Erik wrote:Problem is that when I try to bend my rear knee, it feels like I'm on the edge of the boot and that I'm still not deep enough ... I can do that also but then my weight is to much on my rear foot.
So if the boot would flex more I think I will be able to bend the knee well and keep my weight between the bindings ...
More seriously, you understand perfectly a key point for extremecarving. Flex and weight balancing ...
Erik wrote:I noticed that the plastic of the boots stopped the motion of the flex so I presume that a softer spring will not help.
Not so easy to improve with Raichle. Problem is linked with boot design : ankle axis position, shell and cuff shapes, ...
I stopped "research" ;) on this brand since a while. E_wi's approach looks nice (Hans link)
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Tuesday 13 October 2009, 9:39

Arnaud wrote:Not so easy to improve with Raichle. Problem is linked with boot design : ankle axis position, shell and cuff shapes, ...
I stopped "research" ;) on this brand since a while. E_wi's approach looks nice (Hans link)
So now everyone will be killing eachother for Head Stratos as well as Northwaves in the near future, since no Head Stratos are made anymore?

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Tuesday 13 October 2009, 9:51

Transistor Rhythm wrote:So now everyone will be killing eachother for Head Stratos as well as Northwaves in the near future, since no Head Stratos are made anymore?
You can still buy Head boots with Blue Tomato (09/10 model)

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Tuesday 13 October 2009, 10:09

Hans wrote:
Transistor Rhythm wrote:So now everyone will be killing eachother for Head Stratos as well as Northwaves in the near future, since no Head Stratos are made anymore?
You can still buy Head boots with Blue Tomato (09/10 model)
That's great news for me! 8)

Head Stratos Pro always seem to appear without a forehand warning. Everybody assumed they had stopped making them.

erik
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by erik » Tuesday 13 October 2009, 18:33

Hey Arnaud, it's a good idea: I'll cut the raichles into xtc-pills (like you showed in the picture :wink: ) and then I think I'll have enough money to start the new production of Northwaves :D Problem solved :D

I had a good teacher (you!) :clap2: previous ECS. So if we meet again next januari, you now that I'm even better then it looks :badgrin: the boots are the enemy :wink:

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 13 October 2009, 20:28

I still not sure that boots are critical for success :-) do not bullshitin yourself, because it can drive your attention from more important things. This would help, but i suspect there is more important things :-)
i`m learning