How to fix gloves

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Saturday 17 January 2004, 17:44

Hey guys theres one more solution.

Known to everyone who did spend some time in NZ
Rope Toe Protectors!!!!!

There is nothing more durable. But I havent figured out how to get them gliding!! To everyone who didnt encounter them yet. Its a Protection against the metal ropes made out of 2cm thick leather!!!
As I leave tomorrow for 8 days boarding st.anton I wont be able to answer any questions. sorry !!!!

But I will answer after having them tested waxed!!!!

HAve a great time

Old from "Mitts or Gloves"

Well After hotwaxing them the slided perferct. It is in my opinion the best way to secure the main parts of your gloves. It will take centuries of riding to destroy them.
The only problem is that the fingertips of your gloves stick out by one centimeter (my fingers are rather short) so they still were out.

Only prob is that you can only get them in NZ (they go for 5 Euros a pair on the CLUB fields) Do not know if they would send them (addresses are found on snow.co.nz)

Tested them for 3 days only as I crashed my meniscus. So I'm again out of order for another 8 months (I do not want to start too early, because I will get a new ACL plastic too which takes time, ruined my old on this summer)

Have fun. Felix

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

More details

Post by nils » Saturday 17 January 2004, 23:08

Please post more details on the product. I happen to have a cousin in auckland till april so he might be able to ship some of the stuff if interesting!

N.

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

POLYGLUT

Post by Arnaud » Tuesday 3 February 2004, 12:12

You will find Polyglut here :

http://www.grolleausport.com/

Price list :
250 ml : 13.9 €
900 ml : 29.95 €

Exist also in barrel : 25 liters

Arnaud
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

More infos about rope toe protectors

Post by Felix » Sunday 8 February 2004, 22:19

You need them for.....

Rope Tows
Rope tows are quite common in New Zealand although normally only found on the club fields. They consist of a continuous rope about 30mm in diameter that is usually driven by a modern style tractor. The rope travels over a series of pulleys to keep it off the snow and at the top of the tow, returns around the return pulley. All tows have some kind of safety system, usually a wire or cord running parallel to the rope tow which, when given a sharp tug, will immediately stop the tow, they also have a safety gate at the top of each tow to prevent anyone going through the return pulley.

To ride the tow you grab the rope with one hand and once you’ve reached the same speed as the rope, flick an open ‘nutcracker’ over the rope to grip it with. Then simply lean back on the belt around your hips that the nutcracker is attached to for the ride up.

The rope tows can be fast and efficient once you get used to them – like anything they require a bit of technique and an awareness of what can go wrong.

If the tow stops for any reason – get off the tow as soon as you are able – this allows the patrol to check the tow line for anyone in trouble.
Always tie up any loose hair or clothing before riding the tow – this is because the rope sometimes twists as it goes up the hill.
Hold on to the end of the nutcracker and move your body away from the pulleys as you pass them – the nutcracker is designed to ride over the pulleys with the rope.
When you get to the point you want to get off – step your outside ski across the fall-line and at the same time release the nutcracker.
Obey all signs and directions from the ski patrol.

Well, I did some research on the net but couldn't find any pictures ...
If your friend happens to go to the south Island for some mountaineering just see if he passes by any club field. They don't sell them in shops but you could ask him to go to a snowboard/surf shop in Auckland and try to buy some used glove protectors of from the people who run the shop. (If they are decent they will have some)

Otherwise just try to get some professional (e.g. shoe repairer /) to sew you appropriate protection out of a thick leather. He should not charge you more than 20 or 30 EUros for a pair :lol: :?: Just let him do it basic. Tube with opening for the thump. In my opinion the best protection

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Felix » Sunday 8 February 2004, 22:26

Some picture of a rope tow can be found here
:lol: :lol:
http://www.invincible.co.nz/tow.htm

In some areas they go up to 40 kmh fast (craigieburn, where you can even do jumps while going uphill!!)
So you will understand why they need to be resistant

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5

Here would be pictures

Post by Felix » Wednesday 11 February 2004, 10:24

Hey guys I found a digicam so I can post some pictures of the protectors here
As I have never published any online could you please tell me how to do it easily. Where do you put them online???[/list]

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Wednesday 11 February 2004, 11:39

Hi Felix

First, you have to upload your pics on your own server (personnal homepage / free ftp ...), then insert the link between [img] tag.

Be careful to write the link with exact upper case / lower case letters.

Arnaud

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Felix » Wednesday 11 February 2004, 12:03

Modified
merci arnaud pour me dire comment ca marche!!!!! Comme tu as posté l'autre image je poste seulement un autre. Deux ca suffit

If you want to see a third image (Arnaud posted a second one) (which doesnt give that many clues about the product) go to http://at.msnusers.com/extremecarving/shoebox.msnw

Alright now it works

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Wednesday 11 February 2004, 12:23

It work if you insert the picture link : display the pic, right click > properties > copy the link

Arnaud