video carving switch

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

caspercarver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by caspercarver » Tuesday 5 May 2009, 17:12

RicHard wrote:
István wrote:This is really great stuff! :pray2:

Before seeing this I thought riding switch is kinda useless and boring, but this video opened my eyes.

I love the frequent changes back and forth! :clap2:

Imagine passing by a skier on a laid backside, then jump and continue the same turn backwards and smile into the skier's face....

I gotta start practicing this next season! :evil2:

Any advice how to get started? I guess a shorter board will help for the first try, right?
Just for the minor mass involved.
Otherwise, if we speak about carving, a shorter board will be too nervous while you will be practicing carving on an edge riding switch.
:(
i have a 168cm Swoard, med flex. i can ride it switch, but with the much bigger sidecut and length, the speed is much faster, and i am not willing to crash at such a high speed going backwards. that is why i like the 161cm F2, 8.5cm sidecut. it turns very sharp and is very flexible(forgiving) and the speed is not that fast. the F2 has maybe 5mm of lift on the tail(rear) but when i transition to switch (backwards) most of my weight is on the nose so the tail does not dig in. the thing that is really difficult about going backwards is, You cannot see where you are going for a few seconds! you must make sure no one is anywhere near you! i am looking with great interest to see what Swoard is coming up with for next season. i was considering a 161cm soft flex. cheeers.

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RicHard » Tuesday 5 May 2009, 17:16

Maybe because you are already clever in riding switch...
I tried with my slalom board and it was very nervous due to its stiffness and to the shorter sidecut. The speed was lower but the rhythm of changing edge was faster...
That's why I suggested a wider radius board (and a proper slope! obviously... if you choose a "black" one... it's a little bit difficult! ;)).
Perhaps the solution of a soft-longer board would be the best to improve technique until you can carve on almost "everything" even switch. :)
_RicHard
Kessler The Alpine 168 - FTWO Speester RS Proto 179 (2012) - Burton Fire boots

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 5 May 2009, 20:54

shorter board introduces lot of fun in riding :-) i have 158 cm, 14 cm waist width board with 12 m radius :-) this is very live toy :-) but i will not practice switch, i have to practice other thing first :-)
i`m learning

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Saturday 9 May 2009, 19:52

Carving fakie is a standart movement for all softbooters. There are softbooters, they carve a longer way fakie a day on snow, then some hardbooters do it foreward the whole day. Beside that, to be able riding fakie with hardboots, is most time required to keep in same flood with other peoples on slopes, like on long and very narrow and/ore steeper lift exits, entrys or slopes itself. (perhaps not at Sölden and similar, but even more at some verry small resorts with a higher demand to the riding skill)

On hardboots is more tricky if you do it at first time and it depends in higher grade of the shape of the board. The basic movements for reverse riding and reverse carving are the same like riding and carving ahead, but all things are twisted 180°.

Reverse riding/carving can be done over the whole downhill. That gives You a complet new view of what happens on slope. I myself prefer to do it after upper freeride sections, like from 1800 to 2700 m, have been closed after 1 p.m., cause of risk of avalanche in spring time. So after lunch time, the deep slushy slopes at lower sections are free and good for to take a second board with fresh wax, to ride fakie till lifts are closing.

Reverse riding/carving can be very tricky, but exercisable with hardboots and softboots, if you use a high grade tapered board and/or with a lot of setback, like the Burton Fish or Swallowtails.
If You take a brand/board with centered stance and a tailkick about more then 2 cm it's more easy to do reverse riding and reverse carving. Boards like e.g. the Bandit or Outlaw from Virus Free Carving Series are very easy to ride fakie. Some less directional shapes from Pogo, Kessler's and of course most of the F2's are easy to handle riding backwards too. Nideckers are more tricky. Don't take too short boards with too deep sidecuts. Most seen fault is to bend the body too much foreward (to the nose of the board), instead of backward (to tail of the board), so board will accelerate and the rider is coming out of control.
Gliding on Snowboards,
like Pogo, Kessler, Virus, Hot, Nidecker and others,
from 151 up to 183 cm and 14 to 27.4 cm width,
covering any kind of shapes with
any kind of boots and bindings.

richard1
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by richard1 » Sunday 10 May 2009, 0:58

@Schneewurm: your post ist worthless without a video of your excellent artistry. Please delight us with some pics an vids of your fakie riding.
lg
Richard

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Sunday 10 May 2009, 22:28

Hi richard1,
there is no needness of pics an vids! I'm not Your teacher! If you want to learn to ride fakie, You can do this in any snowboard school. In example in Switzerland riding fakie is learned first time in the second of three basic courses. So beginners should be able to ride fakie after their first 8-10 hours riding ever on a snowboard. On the fourth course (depending of style) fakie runs are teached once more (after 16-20 hours of courses).

As I told above "fakies" are standart movements, I described it also Years ago on my test-reports like them from Nidecker Megalight 164, or Pure Boarding #TWO Years ago on SnoBoCom or FB. Beside that you can read a short text about doing it on swallows on thread
"Die Ergründung der Essenz des Faul-Carvens" at FB!

If You are seeking for an easy to handle board for riding reverse, switch back to
my thread here from last october 19. and read the text about the new top of the line asymmetrical twintip freestyle boards.
Gliding on Snowboards,
like Pogo, Kessler, Virus, Hot, Nidecker and others,
from 151 up to 183 cm and 14 to 27.4 cm width,
covering any kind of shapes with
any kind of boots and bindings.

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RicHard » Monday 11 May 2009, 11:14

Wouldn't it be nice to distinguish bewtween "riding" and "carving", in switch mode?
I think they are totally different things and the second one is much more difficult than the first.
;)
_RicHard
Kessler The Alpine 168 - FTWO Speester RS Proto 179 (2012) - Burton Fire boots

richard1
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by richard1 » Monday 11 May 2009, 12:45

Hi RicHard,

i totaly agree with you. In my post i ment switched carving (what else 8) )
lg
Richard

caspercarver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by caspercarver » Tuesday 12 May 2009, 11:34

if you have not seen this video yet, this is video of me learning to carve switch last year (2008) Dave Redman (camera operator). i come in at 2:58min. i was using my now destroyed Prior metal 173, which i loved, right up until i snapped it in half doing this exact move in early 2009 on soft snow. after many attemps, i finally get it at 4:06min. cheers! the link ...

please give your feedback (opinion)thanks for watching!

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Friday 15 May 2009, 17:11

I find it very inspiring.
... Hard to make any other comment when you can't do better.

Except maybe that the other guys ruin the video. :lol:
Sorry folks. ;)
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

tpalka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tpalka » Saturday 16 May 2009, 14:16

Nice movie, Casper! I enjoyed the dynamic transitions -- and the layouts too :)

I don't have any fakie-only movies, but here's some latest work in progress, starting at 1:30:

More next season...

caspercarver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by caspercarver » Saturday 16 May 2009, 17:06

tpalka wrote:Nice movie, Casper! I enjoyed the dynamic transitions -- and the layouts too :)

I don't have any fakie-only movies, but here's some latest work in progress, starting at 1:30:

More next season...
pretty good video! i really liked the uphill transitions. IMHO uphill transitions are much harder. i worked on doing these but have not gotten comfortable with them yet. i think a video going from uphill to downhill transition would be pretty exciting to watch and to perform. what kind of board are you using?

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 16 May 2009, 17:26

casper`s switch looks not that woody
i`m learning

tpalka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tpalka » Saturday 16 May 2009, 18:18

Casper -- glad you liked it, thanks. I'm riding a Prior 4WD 179 in this movie, other times the Pureboarding TWO also. I don't have any recent movies of fakie carving (some older ones are on youtube), this was practice for riding just the toeside edge all the way down. Sometimes works better than others.

Starikashka -- not sure what you meant, maybe that I'm counter-rotating -- working on changing that to pre-rotating, it's not easy.

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Saturday 16 May 2009, 18:35

Does riding a board like the TWO make it easier or more forgiving?