Board width for EC Video

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Mattias112
Rank 3
Rank 3

Board width for EC Video

Post by Mattias112 » Thursday 15 January 2009, 13:52

Check out the latest ec movie that shows how board width affects ec carving :D
This board is 13,8 wide 8O
RAD Black, Diamond MW, Blackburn...

Silber

Post by Silber » Thursday 15 January 2009, 14:10

yes...we have known for quite some time that it's possible to carve low with narrow boards.

It's just that with wide boards it's much easier, especially on really steep slopes.

And the Swoard looks so much cooler than anoressic monoskis... :mrgreen:

BTW...se you in Zinal...
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

Alex

Post by Alex » Thursday 15 January 2009, 14:23

this is far to be ec technique :evil:

EC that we know here is smooth but in this video the carver "only" lay down like in ec!
In the video i can't see two "ec" turns well linked, he lost the sped and the balance after every "ec" turns ( 0.12'' 0.14'' 0.25'' 0.34'') , bad pull , tho body straight always front, chattering ...sorry this is not ec :wink:
Swoard PRO 168M 00001, 3G 168H
F2 Race Titanium
UPZ RC10, UPZ ATB

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Thursday 15 January 2009, 15:06

Without criticising the video, the only thing is that on narrower boards the body position during the body slide is different due to higher angles - it is more hip and armpit as opposed to laying it out on a wider board with full belly on the snow....

On steep slopes the lower angles and the wider board starts to pay off.

Frankly, I feel to be more quick and comfy on narrower boards up to a red slope. On blacks the board width starts paying off if you want to do perfectly laid out turns. But that is just me.

Kindest

Mattias112
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mattias112 » Thursday 15 January 2009, 19:15

I ride boards with waistwidth from 12 to 23 cm and the video was just a remider that the most important thing is to have fun! 8O It was not easy to "ec" turns on this specific slop it was steep and very icy in the first part and then it was not steep enough... We do not have perfect conditions in sweden that often :(
RAD Black, Diamond MW, Blackburn...

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Thursday 15 January 2009, 19:38

It is cool to see other styles of EC. Of course, the position and the technique is not exactly the same as on a Swoard. But, like Matthias said... "the most important thing is to have fun!"
Is it right that it's not possible to ride E.C. on steep slopes with a Skwal ???? :?:
Franck, Préverenges, Suisse

Viviane
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Viviane » Thursday 15 January 2009, 21:41

well Matthias,
I must agree, the most important thing is to have fun. Nevertheless it is nice to see that one can do ec on such a narrow board!
viviane

Alex

Post by Alex » Thursday 15 January 2009, 21:42

Mattias112 wrote:I ride boards with waistwidth from 12 to 23 cm and the video was just a remider that the most important thing is to have fun! 8O It was not easy to "ec" turns on this specific slop it was steep and very icy in the first part and then it was not steep enough... We do not have perfect conditions in sweden that often :(
sorry i don't want to be flown... and i misunderstand the spirit of this topic :wink:
the carver is a very good carver and make extreme turns, not extreme like ( "ec" of this site) but i thought that was a technical question... to have fun i agree completely with you , lay down on the snow and make carving with a board is always wonderful sensation :twisted:
F2 Race Titanium
UPZ RC10, UPZ ATB

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 15 January 2009, 22:05

Mattias :-) posting such a video could be considered by some hot guys like Alex as attempt to show that EC do not need wide boards and some other kind of things - regular F2 bindings, Northwave boots, low angles :-) That was made many times already in attempt to destroy "myth" which was never exist :-) I do not think that you had this goal, but just in case :-)

So, this is a cool video :-) Thanks for sharing it :-)

sorry Alex :-) but you are really not that patient like pokkis, for example :-)
i`m learning

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Board width for EC Video

Post by fivat » Thursday 15 January 2009, 23:16

Thank you Mattias for posting this video! There are too many people who just do blabla on the various Forum and show nothing. You had the courage to post this though it is showing clearly that your board (skwal) is chattering and is not an extremecarving board like the Swoard (designed specifically to be able to ride perfectly on its edge nearly vertical to the surface of the piste).

starikashka: I don't agree with you. And Alex is hot only with his girls. ;-)

Patrice Fivat

tomppa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tomppa » Friday 16 January 2009, 10:04

Alex wrote:this is far to be ec technique :evil:

EC that we know here is smooth but in this video the carver "only" lay down like in ec!
In the video i can't see two "ec" turns well linked, he lost the sped and the balance after every "ec" turns ( 0.12'' 0.14'' 0.25'' 0.34'') , bad pull , tho body straight always front, chattering ...sorry this is not ec :wink:
You must be engineer.

Extreme carving is such common word. To me extreme carving is carving on edge, fully or nearly laid above snow. No matter of body position or how narrow or wide your board is, techiques can be many as are people and who is to say your tecnique is not really EC, its something else.

If you wanna specify your tecnicue so narrowminded details, name it like Swoard Extreme Carving SEC or something like it, so we all are easier to discus and know are we talking common EC or Swoard EC.

This extreme carving word have been discus earlier and done since 1990 by Jean Nerva, Paul and others.

Mattias has right spirit and geep it going.

Tom
by Tomppa

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 16 January 2009, 10:18

Come on guys, relax, it is just 2 more weeks for ECS :wink:
Tomppa, Alex wrote about EC, not about extreme carving, and that is considered, specially here, same as your proposed reference to SEC 8)

But anyway cool to see that folks are having fun with all kind odd boards.
More odd stuff will be visible at Zinal :roll: , we just want to see sun there, and lots of good company.

Alex

Post by Alex » Friday 16 January 2009, 10:47

tomppa wrote:
Alex wrote:this is far to be ec technique :evil:

You must be engineer.

Extreme carving is such common word. To me extreme carving is carving on edge
yes, like a saw on a previous message, I misunderstand the spirit of this topic and when i speak about "ec" I refer to the technique of this site not a general term :angel:
This is because in italian section, we have established that "ec" is keyword to indicate swoard technique, in this way it's easier avoid misunderstanding :wink:
So I don't want to be polemic about this, simply i like extreme carving and i love "ec" techniques :angel:
F2 Race Titanium
UPZ RC10, UPZ ATB

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Board width for EC Video

Post by starikashka » Friday 16 January 2009, 11:38

fivat wrote:starikashka: I don't agree with you. And Alex is hot only with his girls. ;-)
Patrice, i can suggest that in life Alex is very calm guy :-) But what i mean by hot - his style of conductig discussion and protect purity of "extremecarving" definition :-) This is positive :-)

So, and i always see such a video containig a message like in "Size does not matter" film. Maybe it`s paranoya :-)

I`m engineer :-)
i`m learning

tomppa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tomppa » Friday 16 January 2009, 13:20

Maybe i was littlebit too much "on edge" and didnt remember this was swoard technique ec-site, sorry :?

But yes there comes misunderstandings that same letters represent diffrent things on diffrent site.

Peace and love and good spirit you all, Tom
by Tomppa