What an Offpiste Swallowtail Beauty - Wildschnee 184cm

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

ICERIPPER
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ICERIPPER » Saturday 2 May 2009, 16:39

Hello

Info from a topic of "Schneewurm"

http://www.powderequipment.de/pages/pro ... 3-tour.php

@ Felix

The design of your 3 parts is a good idea because center part is shorter than with the general 3 parts construction due to the swallow shape (never see that on web before photo of your board).
Generally touring swallow are in 2 parts !

I have a photo of a jester 3 parts ( on witch the center part is in 2 , cutting in the middle, so very short on the back pack ) so it is a 4 parts ( 2 skis & 2 small parts )
Sticks are for looser , born to be a snowboarder

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Sunday 3 May 2009, 19:49

The big problem is that Jester/Powderequipment holds a patend on 3/4 piece splitboards. Therefore you have to build one yourself, or be very lucky like me to get a used handbuilt one like me. 4 part is of course even more luxury. My middle part is 152cm, that's pretty good - though fixing it to a backpack needs ski carriers (best diagonal ski carrier) and not snowboard carriers.
Where I do my touring I needed to go 3 piece because of difficult ascents impossible with a 2 piece (Schneeberg Fadensteig being the way I take most often).
Swoard 3D - 168M
http://Openmtbmap.org - get the most popular maps for Mountainbiking in Europe...

Schneewurm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Schneewurm » Tuesday 5 May 2009, 16:36

Yes ICERIPPER, this "divided by 3 board" from Powder Equipment works good. I didn't use it for climbing, but switching from climbing to downhill works and gliding down on differential snow is also o.k. I have not all the facts now on my hands.

The binding-system builds a bit high and the division by 3 makes the board softer, so for downhill the board feels not as well, like real powderguns. It's more flexible and it makes/that force it, to thighter turns. So high speed runs on full control, are not the strenght of this board. Gripp on hard surfaces was good.
But as a climbing tool, for a enjoyment and a relaxing downhill the board is o.k.

The big advantage, I think, are the smaller "skis" and the less weight witch is moved on Your feets for going uphill.

Of course nowadays many skiers use also wider, or carving skis for climbing up, so tracks are on a good width for splited boards. Last weekend there must be hundreds of freeskiers on wide powderskis (waist 100-140mm) on the place I was. About 80% of them had mounted bindings for touring on their skis, like from Dynafit TLT and Fritschi. They want to be free of use the skis for going uphill.
Otherwise you can see more skiers climbing up on high alpine mountains with old or/and small non-carving skiers, because most freeskiers takes a higher focus to ride on fresh powdersnow.

So sometimes tracks on less crowded mountains are remaining still narrow. And if this tracks are hardened over days, this "divided by 3 boards" are the better choice for ascending.

- - - - -

Beside that an other Picture (for authentic snowboarders only):
Sunday 3. of May, Afternoon 16:28
My last trackless downhill - presenting 300 m of 1400 m of downhill!
Comming from the top, over the right (free) flank to the place of foto.
As an authentic snowboarder, I was focused to breath fresh air and enjoying slush snow-fields.
Other people prefere much more to inhale pollution of traffic jam - over 2.5 boring hours and more, less then 10 km away from this place - they need that to be lucky after a weekend!
Attachments
Last-Downhill-Sunday.jpg
Last-Downhill-Sunday.jpg (47.54 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Gliding on Snowboards,
like Pogo, Kessler, Virus, Hot, Nidecker and others,
from 151 up to 183 cm and 14 to 27.4 cm width,
covering any kind of shapes with
any kind of boots and bindings.