Open minded carvers

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Open minded carvers

Post by fivat » Monday 22 April 2002, 19:03

rcrobar wrote:I agree with Nils, almost any board can be carved low, but the difference to me is how LONG can you stay low and keep going while still linking turns. This is what the Swiss connection is sharing / teaching / demonstrating on this site. This is why, I believe, they like and recommend the 13m radius; the speed and the time spent low.
Rob, you understood everything :!:
I appreciate your posts because you write right things, with better words than ours (our "frenglish" is bad :? ). Other riders like NateW, Nils, etc... are clever too and contribute really positively to this site.

Yes, it's possible to carve low with any board: short, long, narrow, wide, different radius, ...
But the equipment and settings that we recommend in this site can allow you to go further. The turns that we propose (for the first time) are:
:arrow: completely laid
- not simply inclined turns, like all what we see in the magazines and over the Internet
- extreme carving is the most appropriate term, in the sense that the turns can't be lower
- some (few) riders / readers of "Bomberonline.com", who were touched deeply in their pride, spent their time in making jokes about the adjective "extreme" instead of reading the site or showing their own videos / photos!
:arrow: linked
- not a single laid turn done in front of a photographer, as we did 15 years ago, like Serge Vitelli, Peter Bauer or Jean Nerva for example
- go arm pit to arm pit on each turn
:arrow: long
staying laid as long as possible on each linked turn is particularly exhilarating
:arrow: efficient in any snow condition
- no need of "total hero snow"
- very hard snow is a perfect ground, but we recommend wide boards to avoid touching the slope with the boots when the body is completely laid on the piste
:arrow: and done with a clean style
- no parasite movements (as much as possible), sobriety and fluidity give the feeling to the spectators that it's all easy even on the worst piste
- one can count with 10 fingers the pro riders who don't move their hands above their head in the slaloms or the freeride contests!

My post is a bit provocative, but I would like to see a new energy in the alpine snowboarding. Race discipline is something else. Here we talk about a spectacular sport, which could have more attraction for the public than giant slalom (who watched the slalom at the Olympic Games?).

We spent 2 months (full time for Jacques) in making this site for free, in two languages, just to share our passion and promote our marginal sport. We have been carving low for many years, alone, and people pushed us to explain / teach our "secrets"...

I thank all of you (many many!) who wrote us enthusiastic messages!
If your season is over, you have time to prepare mentally your next "extreme" season :-)

-Patrice Fivat

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rcrobar » Monday 22 April 2002, 21:31

Hi All

It's too bad that a few people with strong opinions and closed minds put a cloud of negativity over your efforts.

There will be always people who are ready to take a shot at someone who's ideas are a little different.

A lack of understanding and a miss communication of ideas are often the cause of a lot of unnecessary grief.

Thank you for your efforts.
Thank you for writing in English.

Carve Long, Low and Fast .... in what ever style your prefer.

Rob

StanChung
Rank 2
Rank 2

Praise be to the Teachers of the World

Post by StanChung » Tuesday 23 April 2002, 9:33

This is my site of choice when it comes to learning about the kind of snowboarding I am interested in. I no longer have much time for the rantings and egomaniacal outbursts of some on Bomber. (Yes, there are some very helpful people there, too.)

Really, I don't have time for people who make fun of this site because the hill is big enough for idiots with big mouths and for sensible less vocal folks who are interested in linking a series of fully laid out turns. People who make fun of the word "extreme," demonstrate the level of their intellect. It ain't about what you call it.

It's about how you do it.

I salute Patrice and Jacques. This site will be found by the right kind of people. I thank you so much for inspiring me to improve my style and ultimately to make my winters pass by so much more enjoyably.

It is tennis season for me now. But I watch your video all the time. I dream about being fully laid out. All of us who love this site are slowly gaining converts. It will only be a matter of time when the gospel of the e-carve will be heard in valleys high and low.

I can't speak for everyone, but you've done me a great service.

Thank you.

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

ExtremeCarvingSite

Post by RicHard » Tuesday 23 April 2002, 19:54

Hi. I'm always looking for news concerning alpine snowboarding. Yes, there are different styles, different targets, different people... but it's important to find concepts, opinion, experiences and techniques. I'm learning so much on bomber's site, I'm learning so much on this site.
In the last two weeks, since I'm here in the extremecarving forum, I am having so many items to check, so many suggestions to test on my next day of riding, that I'm feeling very well. I cannot wait for my next day of riding... I'm trying some setups on my carpet... and this is great. If I'm a racer or not... every aspect of our sport is wonderful and this site gives a different perspective on how alpine snowboarding has to be meant. You can be sure about my next day of riding will be voted to check all the techniques and theories I read here. Will it works? Will not it works? Ok... maybe it will not be the style for me. The best is... try!
Just this. No matter about all the criticism concerning this or other styles.
Fivat, rilliet and company: you did a great job. And you are doing so much to keep this forum alive: I can swear you that other attempts (even in Italy) are light-years back compared to what you created.
Go ahead!
Ciao!
RicHard

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NateW » Tuesday 23 April 2002, 23:27

Thank you for your kind words, Patrice. And thank you for putting so much effort into this site. It is nice to have a forum where everyone is here to discuss carving for the fun of carving, without being constantly reminded that there are faster ways to ride, and that racers do things differently.

(If I only wanted to be fast, I'd still be on skis!)

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Sunday 28 April 2002, 8:47

So much LOVE!... Wow!

Thank you everybody, for your encouragements. :D

Jacques

philfell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by philfell » Thursday 2 May 2002, 6:52

I have a quick question about the radius you have chosen for you're e-board. Above you mentioned that you want to be laid out on the snow for as long as possible, why a 13 m sidecut, to me it seems kind of small. Even boards that I have ridden with a 15-16 m radius turn really quick and don't allow that much time in a turn when you really start to pressure, yes I know that how a board turns has way more to do with sidecut alone, but your boards seem to be short with a small sidecut, how does this allow more time in a laid out position.

I'm not being confrontational I just don't understand how it works.

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Thursday 2 May 2002, 9:03

Hi phill,

Few years ago, I made a board with 14 m radius.
This one made longer turns, but the problem was that the speed was a bit too high. In E-carve, the body touches the snow. When the snow quality is perfect, no problem. But when it becomes irregular, the body hits little obstacles all along the turn, that produces little body imbalances.
When the speed increases, the shocks on the body become stronger and the imbalance is much more difficult to control. So instead enjoying his laid turn, the rider spend lot of his resources to compensate shocks and imbalance.

The higher speed also increases the centrifugal strenth that is already huge with the 13m radius. Our E-carve technique reduces the edge pressure a lot by distributing the centrifugal and gravitational strenths all along the turn. But it does not reduce these two strength.

This is why I think in E-carve, speed is more a technical parameter than a choice, and 13m with our board is a good compromise to Patrice and me.

Perhaps one day, when my E-carve level will be better (I hope), I will try again a longer radius...

Another problem is versatility.
When doing normal turns, 13 meters is still a radius that allows easy short turns. It's a good compromise.

Jacques

McFussel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by McFussel » Monday 3 June 2002, 15:02

Huuuuuuuuuuu :oops:

I just checked this bomberline page and their pictures.....I think your riding style is much, much.....muuuuuuuch better and lower than their´s .....

Do I have to say more???

Don´t think so...

8)

=> Waiting for snow

Fussel
Don´t ride the chicken line!

http://www.carving-masters.de

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ablazespy » Wednesday 21 August 2002, 18:02

:evil: I am checking the site from the start. this is the best site on earth and I am MAD MAD on people who talk bad about this site. Its great keep the good work going. Now I do not feel alone any more. And now my girlfriend is also on hardboots!!!!!! yeah I found one.

may be an idea for a video forum video's made by the visitors of the site?????????

again thanx
Dënis/ ablazespy :lol:

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hey there: ) welcome aboard :)

Post by nils » Wednesday 21 August 2002, 19:30

just by pure interest.. who is talking "bad" about us, and on what do they disagree???? they could come here so we can debate on the subject :)

Its a freespeech area here :)

Nils

ps> saw your site :) cool pics..from the pics i'd say you need 10-15 days to turn like patrice and jacques :) the video link doesn't work thu... :)

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Thursday 22 August 2002, 7:43

ablazespy wrote:this is the best site on earth and I am MAD MAD on people who talk bad about this site
WOW!!!! 8O 8O 8O

Thank you for such compliments! :D :D :D

Jacques

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ablazespy » Thursday 22 August 2002, 12:38

Hi Nils
Some magazines (like dutch: Snowboarder magazine) and other snowboarders always have to nag about hardbooters and carvers. I read somewere on a site they even call viewers on this site G.A.Y.. I AM MAD.. :twisted:
Thanx for the complements they where pictures from two years ago so after reading this site I had about 30 days more riding days and I hope to master the technique soon. (I live about 5 minutes from a indoor snowdome of 200meters) I wil make a new site soon and put some video's on there too. I do not always have a camera team with me and a lot of people don't film good!!!
I 'll give a notic when the site is ready

carves up( uh down I mean hahaha) :wink: :wink: :wink:
Dènis/ablazespy

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

ahh oki :)

Post by nils » Thursday 22 August 2002, 14:37

must be teens talk.. we got nothing to do with teens sp we don't really care... :) I love to carve down just in front of them on a hard snow and see how they do their turns... ;)

N.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Attachments

Post by fivat » Thursday 22 August 2002, 15:04

ablazespy wrote:may be an idea for a video forum video's made by the visitors of the site?????????
Yes sure! Though this forum doesn't allow to attach files (one can only give URLs), I have found a way to get round the problem. It will be explained very soon in the "Read me first" section. For now you can send us your movie (fivat@extremecarving.com) and we will place it in https://www.extremecarving.com/attachme ... r_file.wmv

Thank you for your compliments :P
We made this site for guys like you...

-Patrice