E-Carve Board in Powder?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

E-Carve Board in Powder?

Post by rcrobar » Friday 12 April 2002, 19:24

Hi

Ideally we would all have our own helicopters and a 200 cm swallowtail for riding powder. Maybe my dream will come true some day.

For a variety of reasons, number one being feet that hurt, I use hard boots rather than soft boots on powder days.

I also realize that your web site explains that you use soft boots on powder days ... But .... I bet you guys did a lot of testing of your E-board in all conditions ... including the POW.

I'm really curious .......????

How did your extreme carve board perform in powder?

Did you make any changes to your stance set up, when using your e-board and hardboots, in the deep powder?

Thanks
Rob

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Saturday 13 April 2002, 8:27

We used, few years ago, to ride in the powder with our E-carve boards and hard boots.
It worked very well because with their width, our boards have a large surface.
We didn't change any setup except that we tightened the boots buckles a bit less than on packed snow.

The only thing with hardboots is that we don't have the snow feeling we get with soft boots.

Jacques

Jonnie Tyler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Soft Boots/Binding

Post by Jonnie Tyler » Monday 15 April 2002, 2:57

Rcrobar,

I switched over to hard boots about 5 years ago for the same reason, the soft setup was killing my feet. I was occasionally going back to the soft setup for riding in the park/halfpipe, but my feet could only handle it for a couple of hours. I used hard boots for powder days.

This season, I bought some Flow Bindings. The Flow bindings with my Koflach soft boots has been great. I can ride the Flow binding setup all day. I can carve pretty good with the Flow bindings on my 152 cm Burton Balance (freestyle board). If I'm not riding in the park/pipe, I still prefer hard boots/plates on my Donek Incline 160.

The next time I get a powder day (probably next season), I'll try putting the Flow bindings on the Donek.

If you want to revisit a soft setup, I highly recommend the Flow bindings, with a stiffer soft boot.

Jonnie

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rcrobar » Monday 15 April 2002, 4:25

Hi Jonnie

Thanks for the tip.

It's been raining here all week, I too am going to have to wait until next year to experiment with a soft set up.

I'll check out the Flow binding, I'm assuming they have a web site.

Is there any particular model of the Flow binding that you liked?

Thanks again
Rob

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Flow models

Post by nils » Monday 15 April 2002, 10:04

I'd recommend, from all the feedback I got on Flows from swallowtails.org to uses either the carbon FR model or the BX model, both are the stiffest softboots bindings on the market today, and i'm thinking of getting one of them for my swallowtails... Downside is its better to use flow boots as well for perfect fit, although some other brands model are ok with flows bindings too...

Nils

Jonnie Tyler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Flow Bindings

Post by Jonnie Tyler » Monday 15 April 2002, 20:59

The website for Flow bindings is www.flow.com.

I bought the Freestyle model. Its the softest flexing model in the Flow product line. However, my Koflach boots are stiffer than most soft boots. With this setup, I have plenty of lateral flex for doing grabs and enough toe/heel stiffness for carving.

In addition to the Koflach boots, I've also tried Salomon and Nordica soft boots in the Flow bindings.

The Salomon fit fine. On the Kofalch and Nordica boots, I had to cut off part of the heel with a hack saw to get the high back to close on a tight setting. This modification also minimized heel overhang.

Jonnie

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rcrobar » Tuesday 16 April 2002, 0:10

Hi Jonnie and Nils

Thanks for the ideas and feedback, the "Flow" boots and bindings look interesting. Neat design ideas.

The real trick is going to be getting my wife to understand why I really need more gear. :wink:

Rob

PS

Nils, do you have any video of you guys riding a swallow tail in epic powder? I'd like to see how the modern version of these boards handles.
Can the swallowtails get through the hardpacked OK?

I'm sure it is just a matter of time until I try to explain to my wife why I really need a swallowtail in the quiver. :lol:

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hehe u mentioned it : quiver

Post by nils » Tuesday 16 April 2002, 1:10

its definitely what one has to have : at least 2 boards: a e-carve jewel, and a swallowtail !
As for carving hard, they do, i can carve my 185cm swellpanik almost like a GS board, for it handles hard pack very good!
I'm getting a 196cm from the same shaper next year, for after testing a few boards at the swallowmania event in La grave in Jan, i found it even more efficient, and able to handle virtually any terrain ( but small narrow couloirs)...
So a Swallowtail is definitely a must have, especially modern models that are versatile, u can check my website on them for more info and lots of action pics... sorry no video available yet...I'll take carving and powder pics with it next year in order to show what it can do :) and try to convince even more people to it, but i'd recommend a e-carve board for everyday use....
So about your problem there is an easy solution> sale all but a wide carving board, then order a pogo or swellpanik swallowtail :)

Nils

philw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by philw » Thursday 14 November 2002, 16:03

Personally I use hard boots in powder, but I use a big soft board. Years ago I used a GS board which worked fine, but the stiffness made landing jumps difficult.

I guess it's a personal choice, but I've not been all that impressed by the performance my mates get from their soft boots. Personally I've moved to stiffer and stiffer boots as I strived for more control. I just don't need the flex in the system.

One of the best boarders I've ridden with alternates between soft and hard in the steep and deep. The only picture I have handy is part of something else (hence the crop etc):

I think he is * the best * rider I've boarded with, and I wonder if that isn't because he uses both types of gear. When he's on the hard stuff, he can move pretty well.

I also surf & wakeboard. In wakeboarding you can use floppy bindings if you want, and you can have round forgiving edges on your big plank surf board too. I don't want any of that, I'd rather learn how to ride the most responsive board I can get. Go figure.

(neat message board)