How much carve, how much slide?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

bawbawbel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bawbawbel » Friday 12 April 2002, 14:38

A poster in another forum said of the movie: "Those blokes are just sliding around".
Maybe a purist insists on a single line on the snow, but my definition of a slide is when the edge loses it's tight radius which has been created under turn pressure.
But do you deliberately retain a certain amount of shear (maybe half a board wide) to help with recovery at the end of the layout?

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Friday 12 April 2002, 15:37

What do you mean with "shear" ?

bawbawbel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bawbawbel » Sunday 14 April 2002, 16:41

Hello, Jaques.
We of the slower, softboot brigade rarely attempt the purest carve which leaves a single line on the snow. We compromise by setting up a small skid (shear) all the way around the turn, and only try to tighten it when our tracks start to look really wide. If we manage a track about half a board wide we think we have as good as a carve.
Many boarders here have not tried hard boots as they see narrow race boards where the riders fall over whenever they stop due to the extreme forward binding angles.
I have seen some local riders doing layouts and recovering, but they do them very late in the turn, and it only lasts a fraction of a second. Laying out the whole turn looks very exciting :)
Can't wait for our season to start...

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Sunday 14 April 2002, 19:57

So, I inderstand that some people think we are skidding a little bit... :?

Answer:
no, we are not skidding at all.
It happens some times, but it's not wanted.
In contrary, we are driving the edge from the begining to the end of the turn.
This is exacty what allows the technique we discribe in the website.

Carve low, you lucky Australians (cold weather is coming)! :wink:

Jacques

DaveS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DaveS » Monday 15 April 2002, 5:56

Bawbawbel,

I have a feeling that some might think they are seeing partially skidded turns on the videos because of the volume of spray coming from their boards.

Check out Jacques post entitled “Best snow conditions” where he writes:

“The snow sprays that appears in extreme carving are caused by the fact that the board is nearly vertical on the piste. So, the spray follows the sole surface and is ejected vertically. Of course, the stronger the edge pressure is, the higher the spray will be. That's why these sprays appear on ice too.”

Any time you have an edge bighting into the snow you have to have snow displacement; it’s the extreme angle that makes it look so spectacular.

Also, the person who made the comment must not have watched the different video clips too closely since they clearly show neatly carved turns and sometimes the camera even focuses on that single thin line in the snow that we’re all after. (Especially check out the shorter clips of Jacques’ and Patrice’ individual styles on the technique pages.)

Dave

P.S. IMHO they’re just jealous :wink:

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Monday 15 April 2002, 7:37

Just another english question:
What does "IMHO" mean?

Jacques

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hehe jacques> :)

Post by nils » Monday 15 April 2002, 10:05

IMHO
In My Humble Opinion
en francais> AMHO
A mon Humble opinion

Nils :)

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

just carving

Post by NateW » Monday 15 April 2002, 11:09

With hard boots it's pretty easy to do true carves with no skidding at all. Skidding doesn't usually make things easier - I try to carve as much as possible because I feel more in control when carving than when skidding. I revert to skidding for really tight turns, like in moguls, or when I need to lose a lot of speed quickly... other than that skidding is something I mostly avoid, because it feels like less control, not more.

One of the reasons it's easier to carve than to skid is that when I'm carving the board is more predictable. Unless the snow is really choppy, I can be quite sure it's going to follow the path I expect, so I can lean on the board a lot harder than I can when skidding.

Recovering from the laid out position is basically a matter of committing ALL of your weight to the edge, in fact more like 2x/3x your weight due to centrifugal force, and holding your posture as the board arcs around and gets underneath you. A skidding board can't support that much force, it would just skid out from under you instead of supporting you, so the end of the carve is actually the worst place for skidding to occur.

Try doing some pure carves on your soft boots... It's not really harder, it's just a different way to turn. Once you get used to it, it's as easy as skidding - inf act, once you get beyond a certain speed, it's easier to make tight turns by carving than by skidding. Plus you get to keep more speed through each turn, which makes it even more fun. :)