How to improve the safety on the pist...

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 30 April 2007, 17:25

Gunnar wrote:I think I will go for a very narrow board to work on instead. Like a Virus or similar, that have better edge grip/control, and tighter turning radius......

/Gunnar
I think you will go totally incorrect direction, for control and edge grip you need wider board, not narrow one. Take look for any modern race board, they are just built for that kind requirements, but i would not recommend them to your usage as such :wink:
Turning radius is independent of width. Only thing "better" with narrow ones is edge-to-edge speed and even there is no big difference as lonf you dont take board with EC suitable width.
And i'm not refering here to any brands on width or on narrow ones :roll:

Gunnar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gunnar » Monday 30 April 2007, 18:33

I thought about the "relaxed" and secure edge grip on Skwal boards. Nice when its icy. But skid turns are a pain on narrow boards. So i think you are right abut that i should avoid them. I will probably use skis in hard conditions anyway...

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Wide is not enough

Post by fivat » Monday 30 April 2007, 21:26

Pay attention: an extremecarving board (like the SWOARD, on which historically the extremecarving technique has been developed/improved) is not simply a wide board. Construction and other aspects are crucial. Good materials are not enough. Know-how in the factory and on the snow are both important.
Now you can find around other wide alpine boards... which have been designed by shapers who are not extremecarving riders (they can't totally understand what it implies and they can't test/feel this type of boards by themselves).
So get the original board ;-) Moreover it has an excellent grip/control as you are looking for. Narrow boards are not "better" for the control, believe my experience (but they allow you to win 1/10 s in the slaloms ;-) thanks to the quicker edge change and the high shoes angles...).

Patrice Fivat